Get Timers Now!
X

May 07 - 19:50:04
Page:  1 
What Makes a Mobster? Started by: LilacDelaney on Dec 08, '12 09:19

Lilac's feet were tired from standing on her Testament Bucket. She stepped down, furrowing her brow and glancing around her at the men who had spoken recently. It was true: the Streets weren't quite what they were in days gone by. But dead? She didn't think so. Sure, offerings were a little more sporadic and she had already gauged that newcomers were unsure of how or where to place themselves out here, never mind what to say. Nonetheless, it seemed to her that any recent ramblings were all too quickly overlooked in a bid to inflate an issue that was, in reality, not as prominent as people were so quick to think.

She was due at the offices of The Calamari - well overdue. However, it disappointed her that so few retained faith in these Streets, the very place in which her own mother had forged new friendships, earned enemies and let her thoughts run loose. It's what she had been known and recognised for. Lilac wondered...What was she recognised for? What made her? What made anyone?

Standing on her Testament Bucket once more, Lilac took a quick slug of rum, wrapped her overcoat around herself and lit a perfectly timed Poignant Cigarette. Casting her eyes around her, she cleared her throat and tapped loudly on the bucket with her umbrella.

People, let's get philosophical. You all want a speech - I'll do a speech. But I ain't doing it without some input; this one involves each and every one of you, from the highest of the Godfathers right down to the newest thug fresh from stealing his first purse.

We are all of us very different breeds of people, but with one thing in common: this thing of ours, La Cosa Nostra. Some of us will still be around in years to come, while others could easily die leaving this street corner. What's the difference? We all know what the markings of success are. A bold suit, a horde of protection, recognition from superiors and counterparts alike and most importantly, experience. However, here's a thing: what gets you there? What makes a mobster? What is it that carries a lowly thug through years of service, countless Post Offices, potentially thousands of litres of spilled blood and a myriad of criminal feats? What is it that will eventually place him right there, at the top of the hierarchy? What is it that will keep him there and save him from being ousted by those who think they can do better or someone holding a personal grudge?

Firstly, let me tell you what I think. See all these bodyguards? Yeah, I earned them. Will they keep me safe? Perhaps, to an extent, depending very much on the strength of any threat that faces me. But, the protection you earn is not what will keep you where you are when you've 'done your time'. Your time, ladies and gentlemen, is never done.

Lilac glances at a couple of Made Men and a recently promoted Capo, nodding her head with a slight smile and raising her hand to gesture towards them.

See these men? So far, they have reaped the rewards of commitment, good old-fashioned hard work and loyalty. They also know that as they continue to climb the ladder, the workload increases. Things don't ever become easy, oh no. They become much, much tougher long before you're wearing your stripes. You don't ever get to sit back, look around you and think, ''I'm a winner now.'' The moment you do that is the moment you lose. In fact, the very second you start thinking only of yourself is pivotal and will catapult you to failure. In this life, you are an individual, but a person is only individual in so far as others others perceive them that way. You have to stand out. What will make you stand out? Your actions or your mouth? Who stands out more: the silent thug who puts all of his energies into proving himself worthy of the roof over his head, or the loose cannon who spends more time sounding off than conning schlubs and sending his dues up? Well, it's simple. The former will stand out to a minority; the latter to the majority. It is the minority who matter, the upper echelons of power. You want do well? Keep your head down, your mouth shut and do as you're bid until you are asked to contribute anything other than money. If you want to question things, go right ahead - but be aware those questions may be better saved until the day you've earned the right to ask them. If you do things right, that day will come and you may be surprised to find that actually, such questions no longer need answering.

In my mind, anyone who knows that and is prepared to accept it will go far. Any man who earns his rank, accepts it with appreciation but knows that he has much ahead is a man who will go far. Any man, who, when granted a little taste of power and responsibility, retains the ability to hold it in check and exercise it sensibly; the man who never loses sight of that day when he started out as nothing. That is the man who will journey furthest. The man who keeps in touch with his own mortality, knowing that his Maker is always just around the corner waiting to meet him - that is the man with the strongest shield.

So. What does everyone else think? If these Streets are failing so badly, let's do something about it. We all have our opinions, particularly on this, so get them out in the open.

Lilac steps down once more from her Testament Bucket, sliding her hand inside her overcoat and pulling out a fresh bottle of rum to keep her warm as she waits.</em

Report Post Tip

So. What does everyone else think? If these Streets are failing so badly, let's do something about it. We all have our opinions, particularly on this, so get them out in the open.

This is a line I often have seen people speak, but one that I've never understood. Whilst people are walking these streets and voicing an opinion, its never failing. Sure, it may be sometimes less active than it has been in the past, but to me this doesn't constitute failure, simply a lull in activity.

I know that's something you agree with, as you touched on it at the start there, just thought I'd chip in with my own agreement on that.. Ok, now that's off my chest, back to your original point..

What makes a mobster? Its a very good question, Lilac. To me, a mobster comes in many varieties. There is no one definition as we are all very different people, however I do feel that there is a common basis for each of us, a true member of La Cosa Nostra is someone to me that puts their family before anything else and acts in an honourable fashion. Honour is what separates us from the simple crooks out there, family is what bonds us. Without these things we are nothing.

After that, very few mafioso are the same in my view. That's another thing that I love about our life though, there are so many different characters around.

Anyway that's my first thoughts on the topic, I think I'll sit down here and ponder some more though and maybe listen to some other views.

Tyrion nods toward Lilac in appreciation for bringing the topic to the streets

Report Post Tip

Fart Barf takes a drag from his cigarette, exhales, and then begins to speak.

I think both of you have summed up what it is to be a mobster very well. But you guys are forgetting the fuckin sweet fedoras.

Report Post Tip

As Noah stood listening to Lilac speak, he occasionally rubbed his hands together or stamped his feet. He wasn't bored with the speech, it was just an absolutely fucking freezing Winter's day. He took in Lilac's words pensievely, occasionally screwing his nose up slightly, if not raising one gigantic eyebrow quizzically - giving him the bizzare appearnce of a man who had a hairy caterpillar crawling towards his hairline.

Some interesting points you raise Ms. Delaney, and some compelling arguments you put forward. I don't agree with them all, but that is the beauty of debate, no?

What makes a mobster?

As it goes, I think this is the easiest question you've posed. In my experience, mobsters are only ever motivated by 3 things. Power, loyalty or both. Everything else, in my view, is a byproduct of this. You knuckle down and progress because you have a loyalty to someone/something and you want to be the best you can be for them; or you knuckle down because you have an unquenchable thirst for personal power. We are all very individual people, of that there's no doubt, but I firmly believe money and power are the two basest, primal wants of our culture. They're the gravity that keeps us all in orbit.

So far, they have reaped the rewards of commitment, good old-fashioned hard work and loyalty. They also know that as they continue to climb the ladder, the workload increases. Things don't ever become easy, oh no. They become much, much tougher long before you're wearing your stripes. You don't ever get to sit back, look around you and think, ''I'm a winner now.''

I simultaneously agree and disagree with this; oy vey I feel like my brain is splitting like the red sea over here! From one point of view, the Mob is like modern science. Each time a startling new breakthrough is made, we discover a level after that is beyond our comprehension. It is like walking up a big hill; everytime you believe you've conquered the summit you see the hill extending way beyond the rise you've just crested. No matter where you are in the mob, there is always something more to strive for. Even Godfather DeadlySin, who's standing with the feds is surely better than any mobster in living memory, strives to carve out an even more benificiary relationship with the FBN so his transcontinental operations are more effective.

On the other hand, I disagree things get continually more difficult as you progress. Sure, the workload may increase because you've shown the ability to cope with it. Other things increase too, though. I'm afforded a deal more independence and I'm trusted infinitely more than I was as a Gangster. You work harder as you climb the greasy pole, for sure, but that doesn't make things difficult. I'd say the benefits, trust and respect you receive as a Made Guy make life a whole lot easier.

If you want to question things, go right ahead - but be aware those questions may be better saved until the day you've earned the right to ask them.

I'm only going to touch on this, because it could be a real worm-can opener, and I don't want to zip off on a tangent and hijack the topic of your speech. In the 'old days', getting yourself on a footing that your word was worth something was much less difficult than it is now, in my own humble opinion. It is perhaps a case that with the effort it takes to haul yourself into a position where your voice carries weight; it no longer seems aworth risking it all on a controversial speech.

Report Post Tip

Batman was eavesdropping stealthily in the corner of the room and decided to come out just as Noah has finished making his speech.

I may be new to this world of crime, but from your speech I do know a thing or two. I believe that honesty, loyalty, respecting others, are the three most important things in this world . Hardwork do contribute but relying only on hardwork would not guarantee one's success. You can earn and do all the petties you want, but if can't communicate with others well or carry yourself up to be seen as someone who knows what he's doing and is capable of leading, you'll go nowhere further than being an assistant and follower.  Of course that's all good, but  the lack of brains will eventually cause you your life if not careful.

I would imagine that as you climb up the ladder, your workload increases. You overlook the ones with less authority, you go from a learner to a guider, taking up some additional responsibilities , having higher expectations from your leaders. But that don't mean that things will get harder as you move up. I would suppose you get a different task while leaving your old tasks to the ones lower ranking than you.  Like maybe from recruiting to handling  your leader's mails? It may be a different kind of task and challenge but it both has it's own challenges , from interviewing and handling rejections to answering questions and being temporary in charge with the absence of your leader? That is just my thoughts.

Batman vanishes back into the dark unseen like he always does.

Report Post Tip

The Family Life makes a mobster what he is a true cruse yet a blessing in disguise...

Report Post Tip

A man makes a mobster.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What Makes a Mobster?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL