Get Timers Now!
X

May 13 - 15:45:15
Page:  1 
Why do we come back? Started by: Superjerk on Oct 15, '08 06:23
*you notice a wrinkled old man. A man wearing a cape and making 'kapow' noises and you make a note to yourself to tell your friends about him when something strikes you. No, not a flurry of orgasmic supersmeg, but a thought. This man has seen life. He has travelled long, far and most probably pervertedly and must surely have a tale to tell.

You wonder why an old school Mafiosi such as this still wants to live the life of a wise guy. Why would one so old still be making the sacrifices of youth when surely a deserved retirement would be more apt?

You cannot help but sit beside the old man. His mouth has dried saliva at the sides of the mouth and he's trying to feed the pigeons Lego (he's either senile or a genius, I'd guess at the former) and you decide to ask the question*

'Hey old timer, why on earth do you still walk these streets? Why take the risks at your age? Surely you have better things to do? A peaceful retirement or Grandkids/Grandmidgets to enjoy?

*the old man looks at you and smiles the sort of smile whereby you don't know if it is actually a smile, him soiling himself (probably), flatulence (definitely) or constipation (you lost me at soiling).*

'Son, take a second to look around these parts. I could bore you about the old days but I'm sure you've heard plenty of that from the others. What I will say however is this. The old days weren't better, nor were they worse. They were just different........and the same.'

*you look at the old man and wonder why you bothered strike up conversation in the first place. The old man breaks wind loudly, scolds his dog and continues*

'son, you want to know the reason why I still ply my trade around here? It's simple.'

'Friends.'

'You will hear speech after speech after fucking speech about 'family' and 'bloodties'.

What you rarely hear about is the bonds which keep the likes of me coming back here in my withered, flatulent, excrement soiled pants.'

Let me tell you a story about a guy named Adam.

Adam was always a hard ass. Trust me. In these days you may relate him to the Flying Pig. Trust me; he was much, much more brutal.

What folk didn't seem to realise was that Adam had not just a heart, but a soul as big as the great state of Virginia.

You see Adam, whilst being a hardass, was amongst the most loyal, trusted and beloved friends I ever made. It didn't matter what he was doing(someone's mom), where he was doing it(in the gace), or how down on his luck he was (it was Camz's mom at the time) he would stop everything and give you the time of day. He'd pick you up, make you laugh, see straight. He should have been a shrink, although I very much doubt he'd have passed the bar (he's never passed a bar as long as I've known him).

*the old man giggles to himself about Adams 'private room'*

You see the guy saw through the bullshit, through the pseudo intellectualism and just LIVED!

Somewhere along the line I guess a few people have forgotten that.

Someone else that keeps me coming back is a lady I'll call 'Nicky'. Now this young lady is my surrogate daughter. She's not what one would call an open book. She is taciturn, incorrigible, prone to the most incredible mood swings (think a woman experiencing 10 periods at once, then lock her in a cage and poke her with a rusty spork, you get the idea) and has the strength to be who she is.

This lady, whilst very busy in her own world upset me. I overreacted and we didn't speak for a while. Things were somewhat tense.

The other day, I needed to spill my guts about something. She was there without question, judgement or bias. Nor did she tell me what I wanted to hear. She dolled out her very own advice and I don't think I'll ever be able to thank her enough. Although a very small, seemingly innocuous matter, it touched me. Many would have just told me what I wanted to hear. This woman told me the truth.

Only friends do that and trust me, if you find a friend that will be that honest with you, you'll come back and find them whenever you get the chance.

Then there was another lady called, lets say 'Mrs Clean'. The single most talented, witty, intelligent human being I've ever been lucky enough to call my friend.

This lady went through hell and back yet kept up her lifestyle, her persona and never once let anyone feel pity for her.

When she was at her darkest ebb, I sought her counsel and advice. She was unerring, direct, positive and downright brilliant. She made me feel ashamed of myself when one can suffer as she had yet stand by, nay, be your crutch on which to stand.

She once told me a very very important piece of advice and one you should take to heart sonny:-

'if its alive, fuck it and eat it' (which pretty much includes the other people who's virtues I wished to extol in this piece (BBT, ICC, TeQ)

amen

I guess what I'm trying to say is that no matter what happens in this world; the things that keep us here, the one true constant in our lives are our friends. Not the flyby nights, not the charlatans, the cads and bounders. But those that you know for damned sure that if you were a million miles away and you needed them, they'd be there for you.

As a great man once said:-

'If I have seen further, it is by standing on the shoulders of giants'.
Report Post Tip
Im sure your friend "Adam" is very touched by this and might cry. Im know you two are great friends now and forever. But im sure he would want you to hush hush about private rooms and sex i mean i dont know what goes on in there at all.
Report Post Tip
Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Why you doin' this, Doc?

Doc Holliday: Because Wyatt Earp is my friend.

Turkey Creek Jack Johnson: Friend? Hell, I got lots of friends.

Doc Holliday: ...I don't.

describes it all.
Report Post Tip
Why do I keep coming back? I dunno. Partial insanity is my best guess.

I have made friends, as well, but I'm careful not to get too close to anyone. The reason for this is simple: I don't WANT to always be compelled to come back. At some point I would like to retire from this life, and the less forces there are keeping me here, the easier this will be. That's not to say that I have not met some great mobsters in my day. I enjoy their company and would do whatever I could to help them, if I were able. However, at the end of the day, my life outside the criminal lifestyle must take precedence, and at some point will consume the entirety of my time. At that point I will have to walk away and leave everything here, only to be remembered as a fond memory.
Report Post Tip
She smiles as she listens to the old man babble on and wipes a tear

I'm sure your friend Nicky, no matter how cold she can seem, feels the same about you.

There are people that keep us coming back. They are the ones we can rely on to be there no matter what. Some will laugh and call us foolhardy for caring so much but when you are stuck inside a stinky old school bus licking windows you start to form bonds with those there with you.

They are the friends that keep us going through the rough times when there isn't anyone else to turn to.
Report Post Tip
I keep having this dream when I sleep. There are moan giggles and 8 am phone calls.

Anyways enough about my dreams.

There are a lot of reasons I keep coming back but the main one is the friends I have made here.
Report Post Tip
And then some of us just keep on returning for the BOOOOING of it.
Report Post Tip
Its the love of the crime, the cash and the power that keeps me walking around these streets committing small crimes for cash and dealing drugs.

My friends, well I dont have many of them left as I have watched power corrupt and time change a lot of the mafioso I used to call friends.. but my true friends I enjoy watching them grow and mold into solid mafioso.

And..

Pulls the handle on the slot machine...losing.. walking over to the blackjack table to try his luck
Report Post Tip
Gets up out of his portable Throne and pulls his pants up

Gent, I keep returning because these cities are all home to me. Its where I was basiclly raised and where all my family are. And of course I just love the life of crime...

Sits back down on his portable Throne as the female workers carry him off
Report Post Tip
sits on a bench listening to what has been said and thinks for a moment before speaking

What's kept my line coming back, I've thought about this on a number of occasions. There are times when I've thought this is it, but hell I keep getting pulled back in. As much as I do love the way things are here, it's definately the people that keep me coming back. There are people here that I can't go more than a couple of days without talking to. Hell I'm closer to some here than I am in that other world.
Report Post Tip
interesting thing here is that over 90 percent of those who posted here already are indeed those of who we are speaking about.the ties that bind one might say.

well in any sense if we are all here doing what "outsiders" may call insane. Well I will happily share my padded cell with any one of you
Report Post Tip
I come back, and I'll pray each subsequent descendant from me will return, for the people I've met here and for the bonds that have been forged. Unbendable as steel (and yet as fragile as a prophylactic on prom night).

Superjerk, your story is touching. Really. Hands off. I told you I'd call the police if you tried that again.

Nonetheless, in my own darkest times where passed out and pissed on in an alleyway seemed a step up from where I was, I had people here who were closer to me than anyone ever could be.

And I'll always return, if only for them.
Report Post Tip
Because we're all sad bastards with no lives
Report Post Tip
because this games addictive and no one who starts to play it can stop hehe
Report Post Tip
Not really much you can say that hasn't already been said. Really i come back for friends as most do everybody else and yes this place is addicting. Also i believe people come back for that chance to be a leader. Its always a big goal in anybody's eyes off the boat. To control your own city.

My reason though is mainly my friends i've made here and they have been my friends through alot.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Why do we come back?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL