Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 17:49:47
Page:  1 
Three Easy Steps to Joining a Family Started by: Hi on Oct 16, '08 22:27
So, you are ready to join the big leagues, eh? The first thing you want to do is contact someone who can send you an invite. Remember, you are in the mafia, and the person you are about to speak to is one of the most powerful people in the mafia. Approach them with respect...

Step One: Making contact

First impressions mean everything. How would you approach the Boss of a family in real life, if you were desperate for a job? With a lot of humility and respect, obviously. Something like this would be a decent approach:

*Hi approaches the Mafia Boss on the street and brushes off his suit, making sure to look his best. Knowing that he might only have one shot at this, he has practiced his greeting all day*

"Good afternoon, sir. I'm sure you are very busy and have no time for a thug like me, but if you would give me a few minutes of your time, you might gain a very loyal and hardworking person in your service".

Since I roleplayed that I was approaching him in the street, I didn't mention "family" or call him "Don" or "Boss". You never know who might be listening, after all.

Step Two: Why should that Boss want you in his family?

If all it took was a warm body to get invited to a family, every family would be full. You are not doing the Boss a favor by joining him. He or she is doing YOU a favor by trusting you and offering you protection. This is the part of the invite request where you list your qualifications. Tell why he or she should stick their neck out for you.

"I know you have many people who would love to work for you, and you don't even know me, but if given the chance I will show you that I always put the family first. I understand that without your protection, I would be a dead man, so my life is in your hands. I would risk my life for the family at any time, because I know that they would do the same for me. I will work hard to make money to help us grow strong, and will never forget to kick up a percentage of my earnings to the higher-ups. You have no reason to believe or trust this small-time Thug, but the only way I can show you I am sincere is if you give me a chance..."

If you are from a family line that has some experience in This Thing of Ours, you might want to discuss some of the skills that your family is best known for:

"You might be familiar with my grandfather, Piggeh. He was widely known as the best prowacker in the seven cities. He taught me everything he knew, and I am ready to use those talents in your service, if given the chance"

Step Three: Departure

Just as you approached the Boss with humility and respect, you should leave the same way. The Boss may choose to ask a few questions of you before you go, and if so, you should answer them respectfully and honestly. Even if the response does not show you in the best light, the Boss will appreciate the honesty and this will score big points in the "trust department".

If there are no follow up questions, politely depart. The Boss is a busy person, and you do not want to waste his or her time.

Example:

"So there you have it, sir. My future is in your hands. I hope that you give me the chance I am looking for. If you choose not to, I thank you for giving a few moments of your time to talk".

Hi tips his hat and walks off, eagerly awaiting good news from the Boss

PUT THE WHOLE THING TOGETHER AND HERE YOU HAVE IT:

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi approaches the Mafia Boss on the street and brushes off his suit, making sure to look his best. Knowing that he might only have one shot at this, he has practiced his greeting all day

"Good afternoon, sir. I'm sure you are very busy and have no time for a thug like me, but if you would give me a few minutes of your time, you might gain a very loyal and hardworking person in your service".

"I know you have many people who would love to work for you, and you don't even know me, but if given the chance I will show you that I always put the family first. I understand that without your protection, I would be a dead man, so my life is in your hands. I would risk my life for the family at any time, because I know that they would do the same for me. I will work hard to make money to help us grow strong, and will never forget to kick up a percentage of my earnings to the higher-ups. You have no reason to believe or trust this small-time Thug, but the only way I can show you I am sincere is if you give me a chance..."

"You might be familiar with my grandfather, Piggeh. He was widely known as the best prowacker in the seven cities. He taught me everything he knew, and I am ready to use those talents in your service, if given the chance"

"So there you have it, sir. My future is in your hands. I hope that you give me the chance I am looking for. If you choose not to, I thank you for giving a few moments of your time to talk".

Hi tips his hat and walks off, eagerly awaiting good news from the Boss

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Follow those easy steps, and you are sure to get an invite from any Boss. It does not take too long, and it shows that you have half a brain in your head. However, if your invite request is:

"Can I join ur fam?"

Most likely it will go straight into the garbage can, and you will leave the Boss thinking you are mildly retarded.
Report Post Tip
listens carefully to Hi's speech and a smile creeps across his face

Yes folks it really is as simple as this guide shows. As leaders we aren't going to be asking how competant you are with your three R's. We just want you to show a little common sense and give us an idea of why WE should employ YOU.

A little effort goes a long way when requesting an invite and it's not like it takes hours to present your effort to a CL. Believe me it will benefit you greatly in the long run.
Report Post Tip
I mean I remember when I started in this thing of ours, all it took was a simple 5 minutes of conscious effort to speak with Don TheThirdDan, and I was invited in with open arms.

This new breed of criminal that we are seeing these days needs to learn to take a simple short amount of time, and they will be surprised with the results.
Report Post Tip
As a new member, I can understand just plainly asking "Can I join your family". But its when someone is just too damn lazy to engage their brain is when it gets annoying. Even if you have known the Leaders bloodline for a while, it is still respectful to give a well thought out request to join. Its insulting to their intelligence to get a "Can i join your fam" request. Like they are too stupid to comprehend anything more complicated than that. If they are clearly a new person. I try to work with them, explain a few things and see if it was just a inexperienced mistake for not knowing any better.

Again Hi, a very well thought out speech and a helpful guide for new players. I will direct the new to this speech in the future.

Thank you
Report Post Tip
I think that it is great you have shared this. I can remember being a new gangster, wandering the streets without a clue. I had no idea how to start, or even who to talk to. We need to help out newcomers to our shores at least a little bit. And this speech is a good way to do just that.

Respect is definitely the key, and what a stellar way to get a good start in your family, by impressing your future leader. When receiving these poorly written requests, I try to give them a chance. You don't learn unless you are shown the proper way to do things. But if you do not learn from your mistakes, you won't make it far in this world.

So again I applaud you for creating this, as it is better to help our new ones, instead of turning them away.
Report Post Tip
Hi, I must say, this is quite an excellent bit of work. I personally think this should be in our "Bible" when we hand it out to the new people.
Report Post Tip
This is some of the best advice I have read in a while. The thug is trying to get invited to a family, to have their life protected, to have a chance to succeed. A few words aren't going to cut it. You need to give a reason to the boss why they should take you. You need to show why you're a better choice than any of the other poor schlubs walking the street. Hell, you need to give them a reason to even listen to you, since the boss's time is far more valuable than some little thug. The best way to do that is to be properly respectful to the boss. Kiss his or her ring when greeting them, bow before your better, and show that you understand that when you're asking for an invite you're literally putting your life in their hands. If you follow a few quick guidelines and don't act like any old thug on the street, but instead a lowly gangster who knows his place in life, you really should have no trouble ever finding a crew that's willing to take you.
Report Post Tip
Bi-Polar_Bear sighs as looks over some "less than satisfactory employment applications.

He finds himself thinking back to a time when his esteemed Right Hand Man, Hi, made a wonderful speech.

A speech about what a young thug should do in this day and age, to get himself affiliated with a family.

He remembers it vividly, and outloud, so that it is "bumped" back to the forefront of the talk in the streets, hoping that others too will remember it, or hear it for the first time,vand take notice.
Report Post Tip
Hmmmm if i was new to this game then i would say that, that piece of text would help me a hell of aload nicely done mate well done.

Death-Knight Leaves To Find A Drug Dealer
Report Post Tip
Call me crazy, but shouldn't this be common knowledge?

Don't get me wrong, I fully endorse Hi and his educational piece. My point being that new arrivals, though unfamiliar with their surroundings and unsure of how to speak, nonetheless should know that effort is a trait that is respected. I don't care if you come from Italy or Ireland or what have you, you didn't get away with laziness in your home country.

Bravo, good sir. Any new comers to our shores should takes these words to heart.
Report Post Tip
Harvey you are right in an ideal world this would be common knowledge. but on these streets a lot of people think that just one sentence is going to be anough to get you into a family.

sure if anyone new to our shores turns up and is told the story of Hi's speech and thinks 'well I knew that anyways' well better for them but for the people who dont know how to go about asking a family head for an invite then if they get a little education it surely cant hurt.
Report Post Tip
notices people looking at his quizically at his prenunciation of the wornd 'enough'

ok ok I struggle to say words correctly at time, dont hate me for it. It isnt easy to give up the drink straight away.

wanders off looking for some more treatment to beat the demon drink
Report Post Tip
Saying "Hey, let me the fuck in." also works wonders... or is this just me?
Report Post Tip
Its just you little buddy :)
Report Post Tip
Calling Mr_MFer a bitch also works. He loves it.

Either that or compare him to ZombieBob or possibly go all out and say ZombieBob is better than himself.

He will offer you a invitation no sweat. It may not be to sleep in his HQ though..
Report Post Tip
This is a great guide to work by since my fmily line have always made an effort when it comes to joining a family. Something sadens me though that my for fathers have told storys about having invites sent to them before they have even spoke to a family head or right hand man/woman so I think there should be a guide for the other way round to.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Three Easy Steps to Joining a Family
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL