X

May 13 - 15:39:53
Page:  1 
What Is Respect ?? Started by: Mikhail-Faustin on Oct 18, '08 18:04
Walk's down the narrow streets of Chicago and goes to the townhall

Hello everyone i am here to answer one question

What Is Respect?

In language

Human languages typically portray grammatical distinctions to the listener between honorific and colloquial language. In Body Language its how you shake hands or bow to each other.

In organized crime

Some organized crime syndicates, both real and fictional, revolve heavily around the theory of respect. Hired men and those lower in the rank of the family are obligated to show "respect" to the mafioso.

But does this acctuly tell us what respect mean well no not really the defonition of respect is...

Respect is esteem for or a sense of the worth or excellence of a person, a personal quality or ability, or something considered as a manifestation of a personal quality or ability.

This is what Respect is so for all you who dont get this respect is when you talk to people in a decent manor and not like they are shit on the bottom of your shoe it is also how you listen to orders and how you show your ability's to one and other.

Walk's down from the stage and walk's through the rows of people and gets back in his car and drives home hoping people understand what he has said.
Report Post Tip
To be horribly cliche; Respect is earned, not given.

Nobody will automatically gain my respect. A world full of sheep will never keep people happy.
Report Post Tip
Who cares? How about offering something original?
Report Post Tip
Respect is one of the most important things in life. If you do not show the respect due to others, you will not get anywhere in life. Live by the golden rule: treat others as you wish to be treated. If you want to be treated like crap, then by all means treat others the same, but if you wish to be treated respectfully, then show due respect to others.
Report Post Tip
Pushes TheGodfather to the ground.. laughing a little bit and walking off...kids need to learn some respect

Respect is one of those things that is hard to explain..There are a lot of different levels of respect and reasons a mobster might be respected in our line of work. Respect can be the difference between a bullet shattering your skull, vs someone down the block you dont know.

It can take time to earn respect, and in our world that is ok.. Everyday I see these mobsters who are quick to rank, quick to run their mouths but they have not even been around these streets alive long enough to get some dirt on their knees.

Respect is built overtime, and can be ruined in a second with the wrong actions..
Report Post Tip
Respect is obviously earned and very important in this community although I see a downfall nearly 50% in that department.

But then again Im plotting to take striphe out when after he pays me back his gambling debts ;)
Report Post Tip
The Godfather, why would he offer something original when people like you have still not learnt what respect is. I recommend you listen to those who speak here and learn a few lessons or you may find yourself taking a swim.

What was said by Striphe is 100% right and TheGodfather is now the obvious example. He has now lost the little respect people had for him. For a civilian to earn this back is extremely hard. Although he may work hard on his way up the ladder it will take an age to get back the respect he lost today. Every word you utter to every person in this world will alter the way people see you. You're built on your words around here. Without them you are nothing
Report Post Tip
Nice thread,and nice answer from MrMotivation.
Report Post Tip
Respect is retarded expectations
Report Post Tip
Like TheD says. Respect is earned and not given. Your not gonna get respect right off the boat. You have to work at it and archive it. Respect is the ultimate thing any mafioso can strive for. Being from the paper boy or your capo. Once you have earned respect. Then life can be much easier for a person in this thing of ours.
Report Post Tip
Cab spots Mikhail in the crowd and makes his way towards him; he places his hand on Mikhail's shoulder and offers up a few words......

As our friend TheD pointed out, respect is something that is very much earned in this thing of ours. It can take certain bloodlines generations to earn the respect they feel they deserve and some will never earn it, mainly due to their inadequacies the art of respecting.

It is worth remembering that there are many ways to glean such respect. By coming out here and airing your views you have done the family an honour and this blossoming talent in oration coupled with running about your daily business for me, has earned you the respect which is reflected by your rank.

Your views have also served the purpose of reminding us what disrespectful talk from gobshite civilians leads to; you can use TheGodfather and the soon to die Thomass for this, but I think this point has already been raised by MrMotivator and the gorgeous Mr StripheCorelli.

Glances jokingly at Striphe and bids his farewells to Mikhail.........
Report Post Tip
Good thread and a good topic.

Thats why I've decided to give my view on the subject of respect.

now I realise I'm new to this city and yes, I am a civilian to but I been around the block and I'm far for a

newb in this lifestyle. I arrived from another City today because I heard this could be a god little place to settle.

I've come to to realise over the years, that respect can be over-rated. I disagree that its the most imortant thing in

this thing of our, I have to say Loyalty is the most important thing.

When your at war and tearing up a amil, you think those guys respect you? No, they dont but if they know you and they know you command a loyal crew who are loyal to you and who are willing to die for you, just as you are willing to die for your Don, that you will stop at nothing to carry out your Family's wishes, then the feeling those guys feel is not respect but fear broughtb on by your drive and determination that you wont in any way let your Family down.

.......but who am I? I'm just a civillian....... should probably just be quiet, eh?
Report Post Tip
You raise an interesting point with loyalty.

And you are quite right; loyalty and respect kind of go hand in hand though don't you think?

Is it possible to gain respect without loyalty?

Wanders off to ponder the conundrum.....
Report Post Tip
Listens in to the people who have already said their piece on the subject at hand, nodding in agreement with some and being disappointed and not completely surprised by some others

I would say sadly - but for the fact I'm not really sad - TheGodfather won't be able to hear this but hopefully some others will and learn from it. It's all very well coming over and saying 'talk about something original' but instead of saying it why don't you take it upon yourself to do it.

This brings me nicely to my point and its something that I have seen quite a bit of recently and the reason I am glad Mikhail has came out here to speak about this. I'm talking about the fact when people new to our word step off the boat they think they are going to be instantly respected.

I have to say I think Striphe summed it up quite nicely earlier when he said

"It can take time to earn respect, and in our world that is ok. Everyday I see these mobsters who are quick to rank, quick to run their mouths but they have not even been around these streets alive long enough to get some dirt on their knees."

There is more to this life than just attaining the next rank and my bloodline in the past has sometimes had more respect for a simple Goomba than they had for a family leader although that may be for a completely different conversation another time.

All in all respect is one of the most important things around this world. Without it you won't get far with many people and that is the reason it is talked about so much.
Report Post Tip
An attitude demonstrating that you value another person. Not to be confused with fear which it often is.
Report Post Tip
Eat me
Report Post Tip
Respect in our world is twofold. One is the respect of the rank or position of a mafioso even if you don't know them. The other comes with knowing and working with them in which case it can be said they have "earned" your respect
Report Post Tip
Respect is earned, unless you have a gun, then you can be like...

"Yo I am da king of the Koopas."

and be all high up and whatnot. Then you're all "What u say foo'?" *Bang Bang*

Then you stash some tongs in his thilly-thacker.

That's how I see it anyway.
Report Post Tip
Respect is not stealing Mr T's Cheetos sucka!
Report Post Tip
WHAT IS LOVE!?

baby don't hurt meee... dont hurt mee... no more...
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What Is Respect ??
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL