Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 20:43:41
Page:  1 
Under Closer Examination Started by: Zishla on Oct 18, '08 19:41
Zishla looks around and sees people starting to dissipate from listening to Marietta's speech. He looks around, and thinks "This is an excellent time for me to tell them what I've been thinking!" He situates a small box underneath him and stands up tall.

This isn't going to take a long time, so please don't worry about accidentally skipping over hitting up a 7/11 or snatching that old lady's purse. I just have a few quick comments. Most of which, have been addressed by Hi, in his speech "As the pig sees it: WTF edition." First point I would like to make, is that fact that the War has been over for quite a while. It was officially ended on Oct 06, with "C'est La Vie", a speech made by Don Caligula's son, featuring the closing remarks of "Project your mum...etc.." So, you may be wondering, what does that have to do with now? That was almost 2 weeks ago. Exactly. Just following Messy's death, a speech was made to protect the innocent people running around without a family. They were given 24 hours of protection from any shooting, violators were killed. However, the leaders at the time thought they should have more time. So, they extended the protection to 5 days.

Now, once again you ask, "What does that have to do with now?" Well, its been nearly 2 weeks, any people that needed protection following the war have been taken care of, and Marietta's great plan of providing protection to the homeless via "Marietta's list" assisted them even more. It was an excellent move, and I applaud your wisdom on their time of need. Now, the list is gone, Marietta's protection program is over, and there are plenty of auths to go around. Even more auths then before the war. The streets are filling up, money is being earned, and our community is flourishing like never before. So? Why do we continue to protect these sponsorless gangsters, running around in our streets, hitting up our territory, and maybe even pickpocketing us on occasion. How can we let that slide? They have had their chance, and now they are taking advantage of Marietta's kindness. The old, 48-hour rule, set in place years ago worked, and was even taken into account by the gods, so that now we can identify who is and isn't 48 hours old.

So, in my closing remarks, I ask a few, simple questions. First, why is this extra protection plan still in place? Second, how many gangsters are actually benefiting from it? Finally, why hasn't anyone addressed the subject amongst all the new auths? (Obviously apart from Hi's speech on the topic.)

Zishla looks around, sees quite a number of people have gathered, and turns to walk back to his new Chicago home.
Report Post Tip
As he starts to walk away, he remembers something, and runs back up to the box.

As a little challenge, I would like to hear ALL the new auths' thoughts on the this topic. Whether you agree or disagree. Thank you for reading!

Bows his head and walks to the back of the crowd, waiting for someone to step up.
Report Post Tip
Well, here's my standpoint on the issue:

I feel that, with 10 families at 25 member HQ's and above, we have MORE than enough space to house each and every one of the unsponsored Gangsters who are willing to put in the time and effort to be housed. I can only speak for myself here, but on the occasion that I am approached with a one-line request, I won't just turn that person away, I will guide them in the direction they need to go in order to receive an invite from me.

Personally, I feel that this near week grace period has worn out it's welcome within our seven cities.

If, by some grace of God, we randomly find ourselves at the butt end of an influx of patrons coming off the boat, we simply buy bigger HQ's. We are no longer at a loss for money, as Zishla stated.

There's a fine line between preservation, and overcaution, and we're flirting with it.

/Phantom_Ghost
Report Post Tip
Fantom_Ghost just happens to be walking down the streets as his Left Hand is making this speech. He finishes his cigarette as the speech concludes.

Honestly, I have to agree Zishla. It has been long enough since the disastrous war, and the fresh meat on our shores has been given enough time to find housing. My HQ has plenty of space, and I can see that a handful of the new auths have plenty of space as well. There is no excuse for them to be lurking around our streets with no home and hope for proctection.

There are plenty of people that are willing to take in these new recruits, before they even hit the 48 hours mark.

But, with that said, I, and the rest of the Undead Army, will be following this rule, until we have all decided that it is in fact out dated and no longer needed.
Report Post Tip
perks his ears up at the offer of a challange and sighs

Yes things have stabalized as such and the 5 day protection afforded by Marietta is still in effect. There has been some controversy arose from this decision but it's there for the time being and until we the leaders meet to discuss the matter it will stay this way.

lights up a smoke and takes a draw

Now as for whether I agree with it or not, that is no matter it's there and will it's there I'm sticking with it. My bloodline has always been variably vocal about the 48 hr rule itself. From a personal standpoint I think that 48hrs is too much, there are various guides about as there have always been. There are guys waiting for newcomers fresh off the boat to inform them of what they need to do to survive and get by in our world.

takes another draw from his smoke and sighs

All that being said, this does not mean I wish to change things, or that I'm going to let my family run wild, the laws have been set down for years and as they are now backed by city hall are here to stay.
Report Post Tip
Wicked steps up from the crowd and clears her throat

Excuse me, I have a comment on this matter. From my understanding Marietta is the CL that instituted this 5 day rule for gangsters, please correct me if I am wrong. I have been paying attention to the speaches in the streets regarding this rule and I see that quite a few people oppose it, however they follow it because Marietta said so.

What I don't understand is why aren't the CL's trying to take a more diplomatic approach to this situation and simply vote on whether the law should continue to stand?
Report Post Tip
What this thread is here for is discussion, not a vote.

I've heard mixed opinions on the matter, so personally I thank Zishla for bringing this to the streets.
Report Post Tip
Wicked, I believe it was Cab_Tufting who announced the rule, and the existing leaders at the time who came up with/agreed on the rule. I'm sure soon enough the rule will be taken into consideration again to determine whether or not the rule still needs to be here or if it can be tossed.
Report Post Tip
First of all, it isn't a "law". We break laws, not make them. We are criminals, ffs.

To answer your other question, we don't vote because we are mobsters, not Parliament or Congress. The mafia is ruled by power, not democracy.

Sad I have to point that out.
Report Post Tip
What this thread is here for is discussion, not a vote.

I believe that is what I was doing, discussing the situation. I simply stated that it makes perfect sense to me to simply have the CL's vote amongst themselves as to whether or not the law should stand. Why should any one person have complete say?
Report Post Tip
As I stated, Wicked, it is because we are mobsters. What mobsters do you know of who vote on things? A Commission is used, where things are discussed in order to determine what might be in the best interest of each family, but at the end of the day POWER rules.

If the most powerful Boss says something is to be done, it is done.
Report Post Tip
Hi I said Law but what I meant was rule. Yes I realise we also break rules in our day to day activities but we have our own rules and our own law of sorts that we follow.
Report Post Tip
I'm impressed that Dante has come out here to express his thoughts. I do wish others could make a street presence at some point and discuss any points you may have on this topic. Or perhaps, the rule has already become outdated in itself, and no longer needs to be discussed?
Report Post Tip
I think it's important to distinguish something, before those new to this thing of ours become confused.

There is no voting here. We are no democracy. We are no government. If our the men and women who lead us decide to make a change, it will be because they have a discussion and enact this plan.

We may steal as much as the politicians, but don't confuse the two. Besides, we make a lot more money than those stinking politicos. And we're probably more honest.
Report Post Tip
I'm experiencing serious deja vu here. First, a speech which echoes my previous speech, now a comment which echoes my previous comment.
Report Post Tip
We have plenty of room around our cities for these new mafioso to find a family

We shouldnt be letting these unsponsord mafioso do their crimes on our turf without paying us on compensation.. should be dealt with at this point.. Picture it like this - We have people getting Made Man and Capo in 10-13 days. Im not saying these new guys would get a family that quick, but in principle do we want to let these mafioso walk around for almost half of the time that people are getting Made Man and Capo in? I mean these mobsters just barely coulda the criminal family..

The 48 hour rule? 24? Not up to me.. but with the amount of families we have and the resources available there is no reason to be walking around unprotected.
Report Post Tip
Notices Hi chastise him for being repetitive.

My apologies, sir. I must have missed your follow up comment somehow- I never intended to tread the same ground twice.

Tips his hat, and continues on his way.
Report Post Tip
Aye, Hi, I did somewhat echo your speech. I apologise for that, my main goal was to draw at least a few new auths out of their hiding places and give an opinion. After your speech, and the response that occurred, I expected some type of change. However, it seems some of the new auths can't be bothered. :/

Steps off and walks back to the HQ.
Report Post Tip
Sayyid doesn't quite know why anyone would care about his opinion, but decides to chirp up anyway

Frankly, I never even agreed with the 48 hour rule. Not even the sleaziest scum of the world would stoop to slaying someone in their first 24 hours. That's plenty of time to arrange your future crew. Walking these streets as a gangster for any period of time without the protection of a crew is an insult to the family whose turf you are working without tribute. I figure that any gangster walking the street without the protection of a family head, be it conferred through official sponsorship or even a mere button on their shirt, should be fair game. I see no reason someone would be punished by our families for shooting a nobody who has no friends to protect them. That's what the cops are for.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Under Closer Examination
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL