Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 12:39:53
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
End of the Player Commission - Feb 14th. Started by: Squishy on Jan 21, '13 01:48

It bewilders me that someone of your intelligence and usual understanding of game issues still can't understand why redacted text was used in that instance. It had been explained ad nauseum. "Internal PC issue" should've been enough for you to know and understand. I had never meant to belittle the users except when it became a personal matter when certain people disagreed with the opinion I was fighting (I was not the only one fighting it) and I was getting insulting/disrespectful messages on IRC and in MM.

Specific to the "one" topic that you're referring to, it was a touchy subject, and it concerned the possibility of a small scope of the userbase abusing a suggested feature. While the argument might have been seemed condescending to the userbase, it was really only in reference to a small population who only wish to cause trouble, no one specific of course, but there are always "trolls" about. That's why the feature you'll be getting will be extremely limited and heavily monitored, thankfully. 

As for your second paragraph: It was arguing; that's what the real part of our job was. If we didn't argue, then everything would pass. After a certain point, it would then become development which always was pretty smooth. It was by no means a Herculean task, and most of the time it was very simple. However, since you bring up that we were paid for our contribution, it was very low pay, and you did have to be active and posting daily to get it. Facebook or Twitter could give me the same thing for free in 24 hours. I enjoyed the job for the most part, but aside from a select few, it was thankless aside from a cool looking profile at the top of the 60 second list.

However, there are just bitter charismatic individuals out there like you who are that way because you either didn't know what was going on behind closed doors, or, which is more likely, just want to get a rise out of someone. In case it's the latter, I'm sorry to disappoint, but I get to talk away after saying this calmer than I was before, and just thinking less of someone I had respected for a long time. 

Report Post Tip

I'm sorry to hear you think less of me but I'm not bitter, I have little desire to know what was going on behind doors which I closed on my way out and my intention isn't to get a rise out of you. My intention is to make you appreciate why posts like yours are toxic and reflect badly on the PC as a whole.

I understand why redacted text is used on occasion and sometimes it is justified, but we both know, whether you choose to admit it or not, that you overstepped the boundary and used redactions for irrelevant text purely to antagonise those that couldn't see what was being said.

I wouldn't have said anything on this subject at all, but you decided to post here with your final salvo about how the users should "mind their own business" until it concerned them and that attitude really stinks for someone who is supposed to represent the users. It epitomises what was perceived to exist by a number of people as being endemic of the PC and I think it is sad that you've provided evidence to support what I believe is an inaccurate assessment.

Report Post Tip

" considering the PC membership got paid for their contribution, it was hardly a thankless role either."

They were not "paid" for their contribution exactly. If they performed certain tasks and maintained certain levels of activity, the game gave them credit to compensate for the time they would have otherwise spent directly on their personal character.

The goal was more of a "if they take X minutes a day in PC mode, lets figure out what they would have made with their characters if they were not spending it on PC, and reimburse them, this way they are not effectively "losing money because of PC duties".

Report Post Tip

Opinions, assumptions, I suppose. I don't think that my posts were particularly toxic as a whole. That one suggestion is the only thing that is being cited, and that was a very very heated argument thus the redaction. A lot of that probably could've been handled in MM, but we didn't have a means as PC members to have a group chat... so it was the only way for everyone in PC to see it. It really wasn't to antagonize, and I'm sorry that some people assumed as such.

The only reason I said anything here is that my name was specifically mentioned on this thread, not by you, and I was writing a rebuttal to them. The "mind your own business" attitude was due to a high stress situation for us, and you need to understand that we had rules that we had to abide by so that we were not put in harms way, and other users were not either. Normal users didn't follow the PC rules with their insults etc, but we remained professional (in the sense of PC rules) at least to the masses by use of redacted text for discussions about that. Making assumptions was the whole problem here. You and I don't need to argue about this particularly. You chose to respond to a rebuttal that wasn't directed at you, and really, I didn't say it so that I could get into an argument with people. Only PC members really know what was going on, and I find it foolish that so many assumptions were made against people who were only trying to help the game, you (pl.), out of our affinity for it.

Report Post Tip

RIP to the player commission. I love a game suggestions area but was never a fan of the player commission. As far as I am concerned, this is a good thing. I'd love to see some of the things rushed through after this announcement forgotten about too. Just my opinion.

Report Post Tip

RIP to the PC.

Report Post Tip

I am going to go out on a limb here.

The PC as an idea was brilliant, however it died to an extent when the first tranche of members left and we came to user voting.

I think some people went into this without their eyes fully open and as a result left us without what could have been a very efficient tool to help the owners take the game forwards. I find it shocking yet amusing that some people found it stressful to be on the Player Commission. Based on this I am massively disappointed that they didn't chose to stand down when they found it stressful instead of "taking down the commission". It is a shame but without buttering it up some people didn't have the necessary abilities and "out of the box" thinking to be on the commission.

To be a member should never have been a popularity competition, it wasn't a job. It was a position you wanted to do to take the game forwards ignoring your current position within the game. I took it on because I firmly believed I could make a difference and help Scott and co take the game forwards which is probably why I am quite sad the actions of a few have ruined the tool.

Ah well life goes on.

To those who were on the PC thanks for your time and efforts, we put a few good changes through.

Chris

Report Post Tip

News & Announcements
Replying to: End of the Player Commission - Feb 14th.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL