Get Timers Now!
X

May 12 - 22:40:06
Page:  1 
Smoke and Mirros Started by: Gambino on Oct 26, '08 17:12
Always ready to climb upon a soapbox and voice his opinion, Gam clears his throat, takes the position, and starts speaking to the milling crowd.

"My fellow mafioso...for many years the magicians and illusionists have utilized smoke and mirrors to trick us into seeing what isn't there or not seeing what is there. The heads of government--any government--do the same thing. The heads of big businesses--ditto.

I ask you, is not this thing we do a big business? Is it not set up just like a government with the CL as King/President. the CL/King/President has his immediate court/cabinet staff and advisors--our RHM, LHM, and Consigliere. In big business you have the CEO has his VPs--again that's the CL/CEO and his RHM, LHM, and Consigliere.

Where the smoke and mirrors come into play is here, the common folk are told that they have a say. The common folk can cast votes or buy more shares, etc. Those in power/office/controlling interest groups will plan big elections and spread a lot of hype encouraging the common folk to go vote and make their voices heard. Okay. Clear away the smoke and remove the mirrors and what do you have? You have a handful of people behind the scenes calling all the shots and manipulating the variables as needed in order to ensure things go exactly as planned.

Do you think this is wrong? I am not one of the inner clique who calls the shots, but I'm okay with that. So do I think it is okay for the powers that be to use smoke and mirrors instead of telling everything exactly like it is to us commoners? Let me think about that...hmmm....yep. I'm okay with it. And I'll tell you why. Somebody has to run things. Somebody has to call the shots. Without that, this world--our world would be in total chaos, anarchy if you will.

But if you don't agree, and you think there is a better way to run things, I'd like to hear your thoughts."

Gam stepped off the soapbox and walked into the crowd. He noticed several members were now arguing amongst themselves. He leaned against the hood of a car parked nearby and watched the crowd and waited, curious to hear what the next speaker would say.
Report Post Tip
I do agree Gambino. Of course we need people calling the shots because if nobody called the shots then there would be no structure to our world. Without structure, then yes, chaos will reign. If we didn't have structure, then rank would be rendered relatively pointless, and as you have stated, our world would descend into anarchy.

As enjoyable as chaos and anarchy sounds, I'd rather give it a miss and just work my way up through a structured world. :)
Report Post Tip
Nicely stated Mane.
Report Post Tip
Couldnt of said it better myself Mane congrats :)
Report Post Tip
Wish I could see myself in a Mirro
Report Post Tip
After hearing the speech and taking some time to gather his thoughts, Zishla steps up and begins to respond.

Hmmm.. interesting topic of discussion you have brought before us Mr. Gambino. You made reference to our leaders as a type of "Government", when there is no democracy here. No voting. Your description of us as being business men/women though, was spot on. Most power wins. However, do not confuse the biggest gun with the most power. Now, onto my full response.

Inner clique? There is not as much of an "Inner clique", as much as there is a gathering of the city leaders. They DO call the shots. Also, in your statement:

Clear away the smoke and remove the mirrors and what do you have? You have a handful of people behind the scenes calling all the shots and manipulating the variables as needed in order to ensure things go exactly as planned.

That is the mafia. And there isn't smoke, or mirrors. They aren't faking anything. And when you look at what they can do, they are actually incredible wise by manipulating the variables to make sure our world turns out smoothly.

Zishla steps down and awaits any other responses...
Report Post Tip
Mere semantics Zishla. You did not answer the one question that was asked. You focused instead on my delivery. My delivery may be faulty... I am not perfect. I accept your criticisms and will strive to improve. Now... please feel free to answer the question if you will sir.
Report Post Tip
Do I think it is wrong? No. I think it may be faulty at times, but with the right people, it is quite efficient. I apologize Gambino. Looking back on my response, it was a tad harsh towards your speech.
Report Post Tip
A very interesting topic indeed, and I remember in the past I watched criminal organizations turn into a business structure of sorts, with family names and policies looking like a business.

We have well established the criminal presence in our world.. so I am open to the business aspect of our world being expanded with ideas such as this..

but

Polishes his gun..

around here, votes dont really mean shit.. its the bullets that pierce your skin and leave you dead that speak to the masses in a language they understand. Its the power and the unity of our families, not the votes and the opinions of the public citizens that run my business ventures.. but I spend nearly most of my time out of town on business with King_Cav as my bodyguard.. so let these business people try to take my turf!
Report Post Tip
FYI

Shoot Striphe not me.

He doesnt pay me enough!
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Smoke and Mirros
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL