Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 08:42:25
Page:  1 
A presence in the streets Started by: Hayley on Oct 26, '08 21:32
A black limo pulls up to the curb, and out steps Hayley, followed by two guards. She starts to approach the podium, and nearly falls as she turns to wave at a familiar face. She regains her composure, and mumbles something about those damn stairs. Stepping up to the podium, she smiles at the small gathering crowd.

I am here today to discuss the issue of street presence, especially in regards to leaders. I know it has probably been talked about many times before, but really, what topic hasn't? Street presence in the past has always been a must, but it seems that things have changed. It used to be that leaders were expected to show their face quite often in the streets, and anyone wanting to be a leader made a huge effort to make themselves known. In recent times, there are fewer leader speeches, and the streets are slightly bare at times. Of course our world is always changing, and things are different than they used to be.

So that brings me to the question I was pondering. On the subject of street presence, what is required or expected of our leaders? Is there a required amount of speeches that should be made weekly? There are always some leaders that are constantly in the streets with something great to say. Other leaders are a bit quieter, only occasionally making a speech. If a leader only makes a few speeches, but quite often reply to other topics, sharing their opinions, does that count for street presence?

You also have to consider the family factor. They do have a family to protect and provide for, and that should come first. I feel that a good leader should be able to balance the family and community. New leaders in our world are a little different though. Anyone that has been a leader knows that the first week is a bit busy. After that, even a new leader should be expected to make an appearance.

I agree that yes, a leader does need to show their face, and let us know they are still alive. But not coming to the streets often enough doesn't necessarily make you a bad leader, just a quiet one. Should a leader make a ton of speeches just to entertain and appease the masses? Or only come to the streets when they actually have something to say?

Hayley flashes one last smile, walks away from the podium, and carefully goes down the stairs. She heads to her car, and leans against it waiting to see what people think.
Report Post Tip
After listening to Hayley tell it like it is, ProphetOfDeath steps forth to say something. Something he does not do as often as most.

In the public I believe words are very valuable. Not to be frittered away with like some do. I am a man whom seeks to speak to the public only when I deem it necessary to do so and therefore must say that I lie on the same side as Hayley in this matter.

I believe that a leader is not defined by what he does or does not say in the public eye, but by the words he passes onto his own mafioso. The legacy he instills in their hearts. The impact that causes them to view our world through different, more enlightened eyes. Those who are in the family of their leader are the determining factor on how that leader should be viewed. By the majority of course, as there are always circumstances that may be out of one's control.

And for what is said in the public eye, although it is said often, what is important is quality not quantity. I would rather be or see a leader who speaks on the things that matter and use their speeches to try and manifest some change in the issue for the betterment of our world.
Report Post Tip
John walks onto the streets listening to Hayley speak about presence on the streets. After she finishes, he puts in his to sence.

'I agree with Hayley here. All of the Crewleaders should have some sort of street presence. This street presence should include making your own speaches, and making your own contests on the corners. Being involve in EVERYONE else's contests and speaches should not suffice. Not only Crewleaders but everyone who runs around the streets pickpocketing, criming, or killing, should make some sort of presence, maybe not as big as a crewleader, but something.

As for myself, I always wanted to make more of a street presence, but when it comes down to it, I get all flustered and run away from my problems. I have asked thousands of people for help, but quiet frankly, with my situation no one can help me, but myself.'

John pulls out his cigars, and sits back and awaits more opinions on this matter
Report Post Tip
I also do agree with Haley

Just one thing haven't some of you realised that not all crew leaders have spare time most of the time there are busy sorting there HQ and stuff out so not all can do this but yes it is a great idea Hayley and i would love to see it happen but remember it might not.

Steps Down From The Fish Crate And Walks Away
Report Post Tip
Go back in your hole!
Report Post Tip
Ali Al-Qaatil listens intently to his leader speaking, nodding in affirmation a few times, furrowing his brow in thought at others, as Hayley addresses both sides of the issue with due thought. He decides he might speak up a little.

I have heard tales from my oldest ancestors who walked these streets a time long, long ago who described a time when the rules of Omerta were paramount. Although the streets were, as always, full of bustling gangsters bickering and bars for drinking, the leaders stayed above the fray. Indeed, it was seen as improper for a leader to leave the safety of his headquarters to deliver a message to the rest of the world. If such a message had to be conferred, an underling was given a note to read in their stead. It seems to me that this view had some merit. We are the world of organized crime. We work on a paradigm of respect and power. The heads of great families have better things to do with their time than run about satisfying the whims of the masses below them. They were not the heads of families because they were voted in by the streets, but because they showed those in power that they had the resolute leadership necessary to know when to fight and never give up, and the cool heads necessary to know when a conflict wasn't worth it. They were authorized by others in power, not the masses of thugs robbing convenience stores. Sure, someone might show these traits through their posts on the street, but they also might show them through their private conversations and work within the crew -- work that no one else should know about by its very nature.

Personally, I feel that a leader should not necessarily be involved in the petty bickering of the streets. When they make their appearances, it should be to explain major events or decisions they have made, not to waste words and fill time so that people recognize their name. A leader shows their true worthiness of the position not on the streets, but in the way they actually run their crew.

Al-Qaatil finishes speaking, and sensing that his position will be unpopular, quickly heads back inside to avoid any rotten fruit which may be hurled at him.
Report Post Tip
i believe it's not how often a leader speaks, but how and what they talk about. if a leader talked all the time there would almost be no sense of mystery to the CL. For example if the godfather of Philly, Anita came to our streets and said a few words on a current issue, or if she had a drink at a local she would be listened to and noticed. Not only because she is a godfather but because you almost never hear from her

This is my opinion *sits curb and waits patiently for the next mafioso or mafiosa*
Report Post Tip
Well! I never! You sir are a cad
Report Post Tip
Hayley I also believe the topic has been brought forward before. However, times change and opinions change, so it's never a bad idea to bring a topic of this kind forward again.

I believe each leader needs a balance of street presence and silence. This balance will be different for each individual. I do believe if ones speaks too much, their words may be lost on an important topic. But if someone never talks, newer people to our way of life will have no way to judge which leader to choose to pledge their allegiance.

Some people have the time and creativity to speak constantly and allow their words to have meaning each and every time. Some people need to reflect longer before opening their mouths and may just not have the time to comment on as many topics.

Each leader needs to find the balance that suits their personality and their way of handling things and do what works for them. Not to be judged only on how many times they have made public speeches but what was said in those speeches.
Report Post Tip
Dire are you calling me a cad?......if so, watch it! you are a civilian with no family. You better find one fast, other wise you'll become target practice for the trigger happy members of this society! Insulting others is unacceptable!

If i come across as a jerk, please forgive me i'm just trying to save your life.....
Report Post Tip
Haley as you'll no doubt have noticed, the only time I've started a conversation in the streets is my annoucing myself to our dear dear public. Personally I don't like coming out here everyday and talking over things with the rest. There are days when I get inspired by a few conversations and add my piece, there are other days where I here things that make me chuckle but that doesn't mean I feel I need to comment.

The streets are important yes, but they don't need to be bogged down with leaders bending over backwards just to get their voice heard.
Report Post Tip
I come out here to talk about random shit all the time. It's mostly because my RHM smells of tequila and gunpowder, but still, I spend quite a bit of time out here. Now, I think I'll take a little nap, on that park bench over there.
Report Post Tip
My look on this is when a family head has something to say then he/she should add to the conversation. Not every conversation that happens out here brings something to mind or thoughts.

Like Dante said. When it intrigues you then add your two cents, but when you have nothing to add or its already been said what you were thinking yourself, be kinda pointless.

I feel that if i have something to add then i will. If not? Im sure there will be other topics that will inspire me to have my views heard.
Report Post Tip
I have always thought the actions of an individual the best interpreter of their thoughts.
Report Post Tip
Some people feel that street presence is a necessary quality a leader must have. Some feel that a leader just needs to protect their family and keep them in line. It's a matter of opinion, but of course a leader needs to have some public appearances. The matter of "the amount" of public appearances a leader SHOULD have is subjective and cannot really be defined. The streets have been a little quiet, but when they are boisterous we must give credit to many of the leaders because most of the posters I see on the streets are those that belong to family heads.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A presence in the streets
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL