Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 05:49:30
Page:  1 
Is this REALLY sexist? Seriously? Started by: Ariadne on Mar 01, '13 01:49

Does Less Housework Really Equal a Larger Waistline?

That's the headline on an article in the New York Times, about a study done with a grant by Coca Cola that, basically, due to technology, women's waistlines are getting larger. (Not really,they found the same problem with men at desk jobs but the focus of the readers was on the women not cleaning house aspect.)

You can read the article here.

Now! Being a woman, so I can speak from experience, I can honestly say that the study published is truth. 

I'd like to hear from other women, and men, in the community.  Do you see this as brutal sexism or do you see where all our nifty gadgets are contributing to the overall extra weight people are putting on?

Report Post Tip

If you do less physical work you burn less calories, etc.

This is not sexist, its fact.

Report Post Tip

I think if you're a lazy fuck, you're a lazy fuck, sex aside. And if you're a lazy fat fuck, man or woman, then do something about it if you have a problem being that way, and if chores are a means of exercise, then cool. Technology and sugar woo.

Report Post Tip

I find it sexist because they outlined women in it. Housework has long been both a make and female role now due to more equality and women having careers. The article was dead on that because of technology both sexes waistline has grown, but they should have made it more uni-sex than targeting women. 

On other studies it has been shown that other countries have a smaller waistline due to the fact that cars are not as affordable or there are not as many fast food chains that are on every city block and open 24/7.  While researching for my own weight loss and healthier lifestyle ideas I came across many articles targeting countries like Norway, where people, although they have their cellphones and such like we do, get out more, hiking, biking, snow activities, boating and like. They live to live, not live for pleasure. In America we don't eat food unless it tastes amazing, we don't drink enough water because it tastes bland, we give our kids unhealthy food because it shuts them up. In America, its all about taking the easy road. 

Men and women alike need to stop drinking so much soda, eating unhealthy fast food, and get out more. Get a dog and go for a walk. Go on a hike for a date instead of dinner and a movie, cook healthy food at home and set an example for you kids and loved ones. 

The fact that a soda company was involved in this research just says to me that they are looking for a reason to blame something other than themselves. Soda is one of the worst things for your health and your waistline and new studies come out proving that every year. 

Report Post Tip

Im not one to judge but there are more men over weight in America then women. Not saying this is TRUE but this is what I have seen with my own eyes.

Report Post Tip

Correlation is not causation. 

Report Post Tip
Im offended. Less and Housework in the same sentence...smh
Report Post Tip

Nemoo - that is untrue. Women are generally more overweight than men, according to CDC figures.

To say that technology is the cause of the growing obesity epidemic is a laugh. It all comes down to our diets.  The fact that Coca-cola funded this study is ironic.  The corn syrup used in their product is one of the leading causes of obesity, and the fact that they market soda as a substitute for water and sell it in elementary schools should be criminal.

Report Post Tip

It really doesn't fall to just our diets.  Diet is a large portion of it, but the fact of the matter is that our occupations and lifestyles (which include more than just what we're shoveling down our throats) have physically become more sedentary.  Technology in general is making us do less physical work, so they can probably find a correlation between that and rising waistlines.  

As for the story, I wouldn't necessarily call it sexist, but the study's parameters are kind of absurd stupid if they only focused on housework for women's activities and not as an overall daily trend for the use of technology that mitigates physical labour.  

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Topics Other Than The Game (AKA Outside)
Replying to: Is this REALLY sexist? Seriously?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL