Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 16:24:14
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
The silence is deafening. Started by: CarraigRealta on Mar 24, '13 10:01

Insidieux turns to TheHumanCentipede.

I understand that it is that kind of world, but I think that's still a bulk of the answer to the original question. I think there's an extent to which speeches in this location are seen as more formal than those on IRC Ave. I have seen many people say things there I very much doubt they would here. The one strong exception I can think of is Countdown, who I respect immensely for speaking his mind on things. 

It's not that IRC speech is filled with malice or disrespect. It's that the very same speech is viewed differently depending where it occurs. I think that this is natural in a world like ths, but I find it fairly disingenuous to imply that any speech is permissible here as long as it's not vitriolic. Death is not the only reprecussion actions can have in ths world. Even if one is not going to be killed for a speech it des not mean it's wise to give it. I don't think their safety concerns are unfounded.

Report Post Tip

Actually there wasn't anything disingenuous about what I said, and I didn't and wouldn't imply that any speech would be acceptable so long as it lacked any malice in it. You had said your bloodline was relatively new to this world. I wouldn't know how new, or what you may have witnessed that would give you a feeling of unease about frequenting the streets. And to the contrary, I don't think anybody's safety concerns are unfounded in regards to public speaking and choosing words wisely, mine included. Unless we're misinterpreting each other, of course, that was partially my point.

Report Post Tip

It's very easy for all of us to fear and focus the negative side of this and the potential risks, but we oft times forget to look at the positive side of it.

Having a strong presence on the streets is a huge benefit, whether the person in question wears a bold suit or not. Many important conversations are required to be held behind closed doors and in one on one situations, but it just isn't possible or realistic to expect to be able to speak to everyone in a one on one setting or scenario. It's a fools errand to even attempt it.

If, however, someone is willing and able to take to the streets and voice their opinion the reach of their influence expands exponentially. You get to put your thoughts, beliefs, opinions and values in front of everyone in one crack. You can earn respect where previously there was none. You can become known when previously you were unheard of. You can convert others from disagreeing with you to sharing your views. You can inspire those around you, within or without your family, to do more than they ever thought they could do. You can earn loyalty and respect that might just one day save your life.

If these aren't things worth fighting to achieve and worth taking a small risk for, I'm not sure what is worth doing in this thing of ours.

Report Post Tip

A lot has gone down in the very recent future and it hasn't been talked about. Why? Well, put basically, in my opinion, it's because of two things: insanely strong leaders and a lack of Devil may care prominent people.

an example...

A distant relative of mine ran a city, and had to shoot two of his auths in quick succession. He was embarrassed about this so didnt want it to be made public. But, his mailbox was filled with telegrams demanding news, including from some people who could be more than a little scary (one looked a little like Satanta...). So, he took to the streets to announce what went on. A fellow named Prem caused problems and was abrasive.  Elsewhere, on another Street, OOC Avenue, FlyingPig was aggressively rude.

the result? Real time drama... Played out to the entire community. Friends, we all love it.

Regarding what has been said about what my bloodline has traditionally done...  Those with nothing to lose are not bound to anything, so they will usually make interesting speeches.

i have thoughts and theories on recent events, but, it has to be said, since "changing my ways" I receive no info, no scandal, no leads. So, even if I was minded to do so, I could not speculate in an informed way.

IRC Avenue is somewhere I seldom visit, for a variety of reasons.  And it is there that too much business is conducted. It should be here, in the Streets, open to discussion.

Report Post Tip

I think Insidieux shows how the attitudes to the streets have changed.

"I'm newish, but have very strongly gotten the impression that talking in the streets is not a safe thing to do. At least not about anything of consequence."

The general opinion being that we can't waste/risk our life by having our name known on the streets. If I go out there and protest about something, complain about something or call someone out on something i take offence too then I'm risking my life. But you are doing something that used to be a no compromise requirement in this thing of ours, walking the streets, making contacts, building a reputation and a name.

People don't have to like what you say, and some people may take offence but for every man that listens and takes offence another may listen and agree. For every detractor you may gain a supporter.

I've read journals of fastidious leaders who would not mount a takedown until an approved statement about the actions had been prepared and approved ready for the street. I've also read of street partys being held to celebrate mafioso with long family traditions of bring 'street pests' finally getting the chance to go bold. Family lines can build connections and inspire people from smart street use that they can never reach in the secluded selective cofeeshops up IRC way.

"Do not think of knocking out another person's brains because he differs in opinion from you. It would be as rational to knock yourself on the head because you differ from yourself ten years ago." ? Horace Mann

Report Post Tip

I am astounded at the response this read has garnered, and with such a positive and constructive tone.  It's a rare quality in street discussions we never fail to undervalue, I am afraid...

I also can't help but to agree immensely with Ms. Delaney, particularly with her initial response to this topic.  It has always been a difficult balance and tip-toe ballet between coffee shops and public statements.  Too many men in the past have shown too much weakness by publicly stating intentions, ideas, or reasons for actions.  It's harder to judge a book by a cover and that's essentially what most leaders have sought to ensure.  There are pros and cons to this, and as a proponent of transparency, it baffles me from time to time.  There really is no way of telling what the best solution is, but there are some leaders from who I have not even heard one idea or conceptualization.  It's a shame in my opinion.

i guess if I were to add one constructive analysis for the remainder of this conversation, it would be this:

Which would you value more as a leader?  Being remembered and revered for your title?  Or for your name?  

Plenty of titles, but very few prominent street names....

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The silence is deafening.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL