Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 16:24:13
Page:  1 
Help me Carraig. I'm scared of the street! Started by: CarraigRealta on Mar 30, '13 01:34

You want help, I know you do or else you would never have walked over here, not unless you missed that massive but temporary banner just above my head, and if you didn't see that then you my friend have a future in protection, but thats another story.

'So Carraig' I hear you call 'How can I bring myself to get out there?' You are already out there my friend, just by listening to me you are half way there already. Easy eh?

So what is the next step? Well there are 5, the fools guide to finding yoru voice...

1. TALK TO YOURSELF, A LOT - Nothing beats positive reinforcement. Wake up every morning and tell yourself that you are not shy, you DO matter. Look in the mirror and tell yourself you are a great guy and people want to hear what you have to say.

2. GET COMFORTABLE. Don't just jump out there all alone! Are you crazy? Satanta and Countdown prowl those streets. Surround yourself with people who make you feel in your 'happy place', the people who have heard you whisper in the back room of the coffee shop. Go out in a crowd, whisper among yourselves. Before you know it passers by will be joining in.

3. VISUALISATION - Close your eyes and visualize a situation where you might be shy. Now visualise yourself speaking to the crowd. Visualise yourself...NOT DOING THAT! Visualise yourself on top of that soapbox.

4. SAY HI - Greet people who you see on the street, in the bank, the bar, even the guy in the leather mask behind the counter in Raoul's Sex Shop. Look at them with a smile and say hi as you walk on by. It might sound silly, but just do it. The next time maybe suggest if you may agree or disagree. Try to do this everyday but don't go crazy. You don't have to stop to chat if you don't think you are ready. The results are amazing!

5. FIND A ROLE MODEL - Look around, listen to people. Hear something you agree with then take the big step and join in. You don't have to agree with everyone. Just me.

Now repeat after me...

'Carraig, you are my role model'

Report Post Tip

I'm not sure about you being my role model, but I tend to agree with what you're saying. Expect for the part about Rauols shop, do not speak to the man in the gimp mask, he's moody. Steping out of our HQs can be a bit scary at first. Like you mentioned, Santanta is out here, he's terrifying with that banana in his hand, but after a few minutes of fear, you begin to realize he's just a sheep in a gorilla costume. By realizing this, youve accomplished the first step towards actually saying someting in the streets!

Report Post Tip

Alexander big guy...I can be your role mode...role daddy...roll in the hay...anything you like. ;-)

Report Post Tip

Carraig you are my role model!

I have to say as funny and innocent as this little speech was it is so damn true and should be the path to follow. I have tried several little tricks in the past to try and get these streets pumping with life again but alas nothing as worked.

One thing is sure though...I won't quit trying Carraig, I'll keep on jumping in, just you watch.

Report Post Tip

Good to see you out here Vince, for one it means I'm not the only massive purple thing on the streets and second because we need your kind out here.

Did I tell you that you look good in bold?

Report Post Tip

I prefer stalks to prowls...

All in all a good guide to opening yourselves up. Beware of Satanta, he eats babies for breakfast every morning. The world we live in today is not as harsh on people who come to the streets nowadays for fear of scaring them off forever. Take a chance, very few set out to ridicule others.

Report Post Tip

That's a bit harsh Countdown. I only eat the cute innocent ones, so your offspring are more than likely fine.

As for the streets not being as harsh? I guess it depends.

In the past, one of the major fears was someone stuttering a little or perhaps making a slight error in syntax, grammar or the likes. This was often picked on and ridiculed, something that's the realm of pedantic fuckwits and those lacking in anything even resembling honour or integrity. If someone making slips like this bothers you, offer them a helping hand. If not, at least shut up and allow someone else to. I'll happily jump in and engage in an all out verbal onslaught in their stead should I ever see this, while encouraging others to do the same... as well as eating their babies, obviously.

If you mean debates turning into fights and potentially turning into wars, I guess it depends on the personalities at play. I'm certainly no less of a grump or a potential hard ass, when required, as those that have come before me. I'll go toe to toe with anyone to defend my name, the name of my family, my district or my city. Hell, I'll go toe to toe with anyone simply being a douche if it strikes a nerve with me. These, however, are engagements due to intended insults and lack of respect and not simply a careless lapse in linguistics which many seem to fear.

Personally, I'm not keen on these 'engagements' ever resorting to violence. I'm happy to engage my most dangerous weapon, my words. However, if and when the situation calls for it I'm sure there are still many in our world that would engage in conflict as a direct result of verbal engagements. That seems plenty harsh to me.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Help me Carraig. I'm scared of the street!
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL