Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 05:09:50
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Min Times Started by: V736_KUA on Nov 10, '08 09:13
I know we have low min times for ranks at the moment becuase of that last big war and there was no space for people to be in crews so it was important for people get back up to made man and buy HQs. However, there is a general trend for min times to go down and not go up again. Nowadays people are getting Boss in 10 days as a standard which i feel detracts from the game.

I much prefered the days as it is in the bible where it took a certain time for each rank and it was an achievment when you made it to Capo or Boss. Also, it disadvantages the people that cant spend every living moment at their computer screen becuase it still takes them longer to rank up.

I know we are all up for rewarding those that work hard at the game. I.E. If you put a shit load of effort in, you should be Consig asap.

Everyone hates having to respect and be polite to someone below them on the 60 second list but its becoming more and more neccessary as we see the same people sign up with 20 BGs and get to consig in a week and get auth again. I think it would be alot fairer if we put min times back in so that everyone can reach the ranks approx same time.

Im not having ago at the mafia old timers that do this, but I for one am getting bored and fresh auths is just one way of getting a bit of life back into this game and this is just one small way we might be able to get this.
Report Post Tip

Nowadays people are getting Boss in 10 days as a standard which i feel detracts from the game.

Can't make it past wise guy without being promoted by your crew leader. The came allows the crew leaders to promote at the minimum time, but it does not *REQUIRE* it. If you believe the CL's don't value the ranks as much as you think they should, then you should take it up with them.

I much prefered the days as it is in the bible where it took a certain time for each rank and it was an achievment when you made it to Capo or Boss.

There is little logic in this argument: you appeal to a sense of achievement, yet ask that the min times, not the required points be changed. The only achievement related to the min times is staying alive for longer—not exactly hard. Please clarify... If you want it to be a greater achievement, repost a suggestion that the points be raised, as I fail to see how time affects the sense of achievement. As I hinted above: this world belongs to the crew leaders; it is theirs to do with what they please. There is nothing, expect perhaps a creative barrier, barring the crew leaders from adding their own requirements to ranks.

Also, it disadvantages the people that cant spend every living moment at their computer screen becuase it still takes them longer to rank up.

The hint of communism in this suggestion frightens me. This is the mafia, and I will not support this kind of babying.

I know we are all up for rewarding those that work hard at the game. I.E. If you put a shit load of effort in, you should be Consig asap.

Why do two consecutive points seemingly contradict each other?

Everyone hates having to respect and be polite to someone below them on the 60 second list but its becoming more and more neccessary as we see the same people sign up with 20 BGs and get to consig in a week and get auth again. I think it would be alot fairer if we put min times back in so that everyone can reach the ranks approx same time.

Ah. I think I'm seeing your above argument now. You don't like being surpassed in rank by your juniors. I don't want to start one of those real life parallels (as this *IS* a game and not real life, thus should not be exactly the same as real life), but this happens all the time in real life. Good things come to those who work. Sounds to me like you resent those who put more effort over the same period of time. This argument seems to appeal to a "level playing field" idea. I offer you the following knowledge: the playing field is not level; the playing field will never be level.

Im not having ago at the mafia old timers that do this, but I for one am getting bored and fresh auths is just one way of getting a bit of life back into this game and this is just one small way we might be able to get this.

Rank does not imply auths, nor the converse. If you don't like the auths, discuss it with the crew leaders; they are the people who decide on auths, not I.

I agree with your point that the ranks should have value, and that ranking should come with a great sense of achievement; but is changing a time requirement really the answer? Ranking should be a function of a crew leader's respect for the crew member, not a function of time, nor points. I choose to view the lowered minimum times not as a reaction to a war, but as a challenge: the crew leaders and their right hand men now posses the power to add value to the game. I charge them, not the developers, with task of restoring the lost value by not allowing their respect to be bought with such little effort. Currently, I see a much more compelling argument for the converse: why do we *need* min times? They serve only to aide in "leveling the playing field". If someone has 15 hours a day to devote to pettying, then good for him. Being held back by a time requirement is a slap in the face.

You leave me unconvinced of the need for change. I am open to suggestions, but until such time as a more compelling argument is indicted, I personally* defer acceptance of your suggestion.

Sincerly,

Mario Laurino

* meaning that if another dev/coder wants to change it, I won't argue.
Report Post Tip
Hmm im not so convinced. On one hand I see your point. There is a good argument for doing away with time restrictions. But that I think would ruin rank value altogethor.

If we do this, and place the control of ranks entirely in the hands of the leaders. Then they will make a big thing about how rank is important and make people wait as normal, or even set their own family min times. Meanwhile the IRC oldskoolers are being Made Man/Capo in 3 days?

I dont agree with leveling the playingfeild in alot of the aspects to the site, but when it comes to deciding between a new player and a 6 year mafia fanatic, I think its important that they have equal oppertunities to rank at the same speed, provided they are putting in the same effort.
Report Post Tip
I'm a fanatic. Not a 6 year one but I have had no trouble doing what is required to earn my points. Isn't this about trust as well?

Some older and more experienced players do get promoted faster because they are trusted by their CLs. Some new members are being promoted for working and showing that they are capable of achieving their ranks.

By suggesting that everyone ranks at the same time takes away the fact that some people have made contacts here and allows the parasites to sit, petty, jailbreak and rank. What happened to interaction? Getting to know your members is an essential part to this. Working your way from family to family, learning something new about someone makes this interesting.

Now you will come in and say "New members don't know exactly how things work here. They won't go far without doing those things listed. It makes no sense"

And i will say that, that is how many of us started here. There comes a point where we need to take the initiative to speak up or be left behind.

Allowing CL's and their RHM to decide who deserves what is a better option. Like Mario said, its not the developers job to bring back the quality of ranks. It should be done by the leaders and everyone who plays here. If giving back value to ranks is really what you and everyone else want, then make it happen.

Its quite an achievement that a dog can lick its own balls in an attempt to clean itself. It does so, because it can. The same way, everybody here can bring about value and change instead of asking others to do the licking for them. Clean yourself up and I am sure someone will notice.
Report Post Tip
"Nowadays people are getting Boss in 10 days as a standard which i feel detracts from the game."

THAT IS A LIE.

Seeing as the minimum time for Made is now 11 days.

Sheesh, get your facts straight.
Report Post Tip
Mikus, I think you are mistaken.

I saw a 4 hour old Consig the other day. ;)

BTW, WE STILL WANT THAT POKER MONEY. jk.
Report Post Tip
I think V736_KUA was exagerating a small amount. Dont need to take it all so literaly Mikus :s
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Min Times
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL