Get Timers Now!
X

May 11 - 22:58:15
Page:  1 
An Empire If. Started by: GoodFeIIa on Nov 11, '08 00:06
I'm not your typical doctor - I don't cure diseases, treat illnesses, or provide prescriptions for common colds. As a matter of fact, I have always hated biology. The complexity of the infrastructure and the delicacy of handling a living, thriving machine always seemed to intimidate me when I was a boy. Watching my grandmother wither away before my eyes as cancer consumed not only her organs, but also destroyed the means with which she had to fight such a virus off had a lasting affect when I was far younger. The irony however, is that today I have been asked to help treat a similar illness; not of the body, but of the spirit...

Ok sir, if you head down the hallway and follow the stairwell up and to the left, you will find her study

I nodded politely as I had done time and time again from my travels across the states. Not only was it proper etiquette in this business I am a part of, but a survival strategy. I proceeded to follow the mans directions, down the hallway and then up a flight of stairs. To the left I continued and upon reaching the door, I knocked gently. A voice acknowledged me from inside,

*Cough* You may enter

When I opened the door I was greeted with a polite smile, and if not for my better judgment, I would have guessed that nothing was wrong. The woman was older, but still held herself high, and for good reason - she also wielded a great deal of power and respect within our community. This house visit was not only out of courtesy, but also admiration and a new-found respect for the older woman. She in a way, inspired me to continue on my present course of life and subscribe to the status-quot I had come to accept. Having lost myself in my analysis and first impression, I quickly shook off the mental tangent and focused on the moment. However, the reality of the situation would prove to be far more trying than any of the "pleasantries" I had already received. I responded to her politely,

*Clears throat* Mam, I came as quickly as I heard the news. I know this may not be an easy time for you, but I want you to know that I am here to help in any way that I can. I have every faith that a solution may be find to at least make the future a little better

She smiled, but only for a brief moment. It was clear she had far more on her mind than I could possibly fathom, nor would be able to empathize with. I could tell that she was a changed woman from when I first met her not too long ago, although it was only for a brief duration. The deaths of so many people cluttered the obituaries. The virus will only spread further if more is not done, I kept repeating in my head. I knew that action had to be quick if a potential remedy were to be found. My optimism however, was not shared by the older woman who, was under considerably extensive emotional and mental duress. I could tell she was suffering from sleep deprivation and extreme anxiety; very common in someone of such power who is open to widespread criticism. This however, did not prevent her from confronting me with actuality

Friend, is there a cure?

I thought for a brief moment before replying,

No, strength through unity is a great goal, but it is by no means a reliable cure

Her eyebrows fell closer to her eyes as she was entranced by deeper thought. She then looked at me and posed yet another question,

Is there a treatment?

I hesitated again before answering,

Vigilance

With a greater understanding of the problems that lay ahead, I believe she now realized what had to be done. The deaths of those this night was not the cause of a virus, but in fact an attempt to cure one. Dissolution and disunity are the sickness with which La Cosa Nostra has been consumed with since as long as I have been around in my many years of studying it's societal decay. What Marietta did not understand before this night and my visit was that there truly is no cure. The only remedy is constant vigilance and consistent attempts to unify those who will reinforce the cause with which we so endeavored before this night. While it took me years to begin to witness the creation of a unified front of Mafiosos, east coast to west coast, well-established and not-yet established families, young and old... Marietta and her loyal friends created in just a short time. It was my hope on this night, only to provide what help and comfort I could.

Marietta now more vigilant and learned, walked me down the stairs and outside to the front yard where a car awaited me to take me back to the airport. As I opened the car door, I heard her familiar voice once more...

Sir, what is it that we have here exactly?

I hesitated, but only for a couple seconds and with a smile before answering,

An Empire, if you can keep it
Report Post Tip
Great diagnosis DR!!!
Report Post Tip
Thank you kindly *smiles*

My regular office hours are from 9-5.

Feel free to visit anytime if you are experiencing:

1. Sleep Deprivation

2. Severe Anxiety

3. Annoying Mob Mail

4. Beggars Can't Be Choosers Syndrome

5. Loss or Paralysis of the Omerta Nerves

6. Amnesia or loss of identity as a new person and not a long lost ancestor

7. Lack of blood flow below the waistline (A problem only found in males)

8. Tantalizing questions regarding ones own loyalty

9. Erratic behavior towards authority-types and other anger management problems

10. Stupidity (most common problem)

-GoodFella
Report Post Tip
Number ten will keep you busy around the clock.
Report Post Tip
I think Zoey, after Hi's speech in the street, I shall add yet another possible illness plaguing some individuals:

11. Tyrant Syndrome (Most commonly found in newborns and is believed to be a result of a genetic disorder passed down to kin of the deceased)
Report Post Tip
Dean heard about something like this before

In fact I read it in some journal I picked up the other day. Tyrant syndrome caused by this newly found gene or I should say a chain of genes known as the "tyrant genes". A tri-nucleotide tripling passed with each an every generation. As the chains multiply to grow longer the symptoms become more evident.

Sadly though, once a set number of 30 trip multiplications have occurred from one generation to the next, the disease rears its ugly little head. Outbursts at an early stage has been controlled, but this syndrome at its worst only ends badly for the patient. Earlier onset of death.

We are truly sorry Hi. May you rest in peace.
Report Post Tip
Dean,

I did some outside research on my own into this Tyrant's Syndrome and came up with some new startling results!

Apparently, there is also another, mutated version of the virus and/or gene that causes this horrible disease to manifest in a completely opposing form of the original gene if the first gene is non-responsive or hibernating. And I have appropriately labeled it under #12 -

12. Anti-Tyrant Complex Syndrome (a mutated version of original gene that causes rebellion within the system if the other gene is not active)
Report Post Tip
With a start from the latest news, he decides to make a public announcement.

Everybody, for the sake of your children...Stop breeding with Hi!
Report Post Tip
I also just found another illness. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize that I too, am suffering from it's affects.

Lucky #13 -

13. Mistaken Identity Syndrome (You kill an unintended sponsored target and then come down with this disease which is almost always fatal!)

Yes, I have contracted this illness and am on my deathbed as we speak!

It looks as if the doctor has treated his last patient - himself

Godspeed to all of you. All the best -GF
Report Post Tip
Looks to the clock

Time of death has been called...RIP.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: An Empire If.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL