Get Timers Now!
X

May 21 - 16:22:31
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Back Alley Viewers Started by: Vedder on May 06, '13 02:03

The suggestion is simple. Let users see what users are viewing their back alley threads. I'm not talking about a "Who's Watching" list, I'm talking a Who Viewed and a time stamp. Back alley threads are not safe and I'm sure there are a few individuals out there who have learned how to roll through back alley threads over the years...let's get some peace of mind and bring privacy to the back alley threads. 

Report Post Tip

I like this, I'm sure it'd give some peace of mind to the thread creator.

Report Post Tip

Given the complexity of the link generated for a BA thread, it simply wouldn't be worth someones time trying to roll the threads (and given the way they're generated it isn't a straight forward rolling but more of a 'brute force' attempt) to find the handful that might be valuable/helpful. I have ~20 BA threads at the moment, only 1 or 2 would actually be of interest to anyone other than myself. 

I'd suggest that any information is 'sensitive' enough to warrant this type of concern, it simply shouldn't be stored in a BA thread. Set up a google doc instead and you have full access to control who can/can't view it, which seems a much easier/saner solution to something I don't personally see as a problem.
Report Post Tip

Mathematics can crack every puzzle, Satana. But yes I do agree that Google Docs is the way to go, but is sometimes less convenient and usually much faster than a quick edit in the back alley.  

Report Post Tip

While it's true that the BA threads could be cracked in that manner, security by obfuscation isn't security at all it's just leveraging the work/reward balance in the opposite direction, this would also be the case after the proposed change. You would only be aware someone has accessed the thread after they have accessed the thread, therefore shutting the door when the horse has bolted. 

Rather than putting (what I imagine would be a fairly significant) a code change in which doesn't actually fix the problem, I'd suggest using one of the various workarounds which already exist is a better solution for everyone. It saves the admin team time, allowing them to focus on actual gameplay improvements, and encourages users to actually solve the problem before an issue happens which could impact on their privacy/character/whatever. 

Report Post Tip

Gameplay improvements like renaming CAs or colored VIP forum names? Not trying to highlight non-game play improvements to bash admins, just pointing out improvements/changes are made to the game regularly that have no affect on the MR game play. You have a good point about the information already being compromised by the time I see who viewed it - and a very nice analogy :) 

Report Post Tip

Renaming CAs is/was literally a tiny piece of additional code with no large work overhead. It was done for users to have a little 'fun' (along with the profile pics etc) and due to the very low overhead it required was a decent investment of time (though I will admit it is complete fluff and something I'll never actually use myself). 

Forum VIP status does have a direct tie to gameplay, especially so now with the introduction of the 'tips' for the leading city, and may well have further implications down the road. I'd suggest that anything that improves the quality and quantity of public textual interaction in what is a text based game, one where the standard had fallen to an all time low very recently but has improved dramatically of late, should be considered an absolute must and not a 'fluff feature'. That is subjective though, so everyone is entitled to their own opinion (and I wouldn't suggest that the dramatic improvement there is directly attributable to the VIP status alone, but I will back anything that helps the improvement and carries it on in the future).  

I'm not suggesting your proposal is a bad idea, at all. I do like the idea of securing them. The issue is that the current idea doesn't actually solve the issue and from my own (extremely limited) knowledge of coding would be a very significant investment of time. Perhaps someone can think of a clever way that provides a full solution and wouldn't be such an onerous task (given the code is in place for locking HQ threads to specific ranks, perhaps it wouldn't be a huge step to allow BA threads to be locked to specific accounts? I've no idea tbh). If so, I'd be fully behind it. 

Report Post Tip

In doogle dream world, forums work similar to other styles of forums (vBuletin anyone?) where specific access would have to be granted to specific users and permissions are micro-manageable. Of course I know this has minimal benefit for a large amount of thought and work, so I would not be heartbroken to hear it wouldn't ever be considered. 

Part of my issue is wanting to catch these dishonest players who have figured out how quirks and how to game the code to their advantage. When rumors started circulating about back alleys being "crackable" it kinda spurned this thread. Maybe I'm taking the wrong path to get the finish line here.

Report Post Tip

There are 340,282,366,920,938,463,463,374,607,431,768,211,456 different possible combinations of the hash we use for the back alley threads.  It would be millions of times easier for them to just get your password and access the backalleys that way.

The reason we dont put in viewable logging for someone accessing your back alley thread is because of 'trust'.  Trust is meant to be broken, if someone is viewing your thread, its because someone you gave the link to broke your trust and gave them the link.  If we close off all ways of someone breaking your trust, then we slowly eliminate ways for the game to be played.

Report Post Tip

"Part of my issue is wanting to catch these dishonest players who have figured out how quirks and how to game the code to their advantage. When rumors started circulating about back alleys being "crackable" it kinda spurned this thread."

They are simply that, rumors. It would take years of incorrect thread ids happening at the rate of millions per hour to go unnoticed, before they even crack one single tpass ID. (And thats assming you already know which thread ID you want to target)

Report Post Tip
hmm..
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Back Alley Viewers
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL