Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 23:50:07
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Marietta's Guide to Not Being a Dead Retard Started by: Marietta on Dec 16, '08 13:14
Marietta, you are just stellar and I love you.

Enough said.
Report Post Tip
What Was Said above me is Enough said

:)
Report Post Tip
Also, try not to piss or shit in obituaries because that usually leads to death.

Rourkey shuffles along
Report Post Tip
Awesome.
Report Post Tip
Fucken SWEEEEEEET
Report Post Tip
The excessive swearing was unnecessary. If you cannot make a strong enough point without resorting to gimmick words to "hit the point home" then perhaps some revaluation of your literary talents is required. All in all, very disappointing indeed.
Report Post Tip
MacLeod, "Awesome" is a trademark of mine, and so you must shoot Marietta in the face for me. Many thanks.
Report Post Tip
JohnnyAbdul, what makes cursing any less a literary technique when compared to any other means by which to strengthen one's statements?
Report Post Tip
It lacks finesse and originality for a start. I do suspect however that swearing was only used as a mean to gain IRC high fives anyway. For example, "Look how I pwned everyone with my thread guys. Now lick at my puckering starfish until I am satiated.".
Report Post Tip
James Joyce's Ulysses, J. D. Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye, and D. H. Lawrence's Lady Chatterley's Lover are oft claimed literary successes which contain famous uses of profanity.

Profanity is a very good way to express certain meanings and expressions. Take for example the sentence "fuck you." There is an emotion and meaning expressed there that cannot be done so adequately any other way. To think that swearing is some how a mark of lesser literary skills is to think of swearing itself as somehow lesser than the rest of language, which is a rediculous and unfounded position. The main difference between profanity and non-profanity is that there can be an element of offence taken from profane expressions; and this element of offence arises because of the strong meaning and emotion contained within the curse. In other words, the word is highly effective at achieving its purpose; to stengthen the general claim being made. Ergo, if Kendra were to wish to express strong emotions and provide strong statements, then profanity is the optimum medium by which to achieve this.
Report Post Tip
If you are likening the nonsense of this thread to any of your named authors then you are an idiot. The gulf is tremendous.
Report Post Tip
I don't think anyone is honestly comparing thread about role-playing mafia to Joyce or Salinger... just making the point that swearing in and of itself does not necessarily preclude a written work from being "good".

Looking it over, I suppose there is an interesting point about swearing. There were really only four "swears": "damn", "fucking", "fucking", and "bitch". This hardly seems like an unreasonable amount. I'm more curious that in one instance the author chose to use "$%&**#^%" in lieu of an actual curse, while "fucking" is used immediately before and after.

So while you may have a legitimate argument against the inconsistent usage, I think that critiquing the use of certain language at all is largely a waste of time, since it is essentially a creative decision. As in, under the full discretion of the writer. You certainly have a right to profess your own subjective opinion, of course, but since there's no real "correct" answer it seems silly to get worked up about it.

Also, your later comments seem to suggest that you have zero interest in an actual discussion and hat your critiques are not actually based in fact, but are in fact thinly veiled ad hominem attacks.

In which case your argument boils down to "Wa! Wa! I don't like someone on the internet!"

In which case you are wasting your own limited supply of oxygen on something stupid.
Report Post Tip
Thank you for your subjective opinion on my life's motivations. It has been insightful for all.
Report Post Tip
I'm taking precisely the same amount of liberties with your argument as you did with the original post. So if you're being critical of me then... o dear... you've certainly put yourself in a pickle...
Report Post Tip
Swearing makes people tough (doesn't it? HIGH FIVE ON IRC EVERYONE!) and I just like being tough. Grawr.
Report Post Tip
...... You know you're priceless, right? i mean.... thank you obvious.
Report Post Tip
Also, if you don't want to be a dead retard, then don't be Marietta.
Report Post Tip
i would not be surprised if you end up on Marietta's hitlist
Report Post Tip
he's begging to get wacked so he can come back and wack someone specialin his heart.
Report Post Tip
Serisouly man your asking for the most painfulist death in the world and im pretty sure Godmother Marietta would love to give it to you :) so id be ready to be welcomed to her Hitlist :)
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Marietta's Guide to Not Being a Dead Retard
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL