Get Timers Now!
X

May 10 - 04:04:30
Page:  1 
Cant whinny with that hole in your head? Started by: FrankieFigs on Dec 20, '08 13:47
You see Frankie riding down the street on a very ill looking horse, its obvious this horse has got to go. It needs to be put out of its misery. Frankie dismounts the horse, pulls out his pistol and shoots the horse in the head. The horse falls over dead. Frankie reaches into the saddle bag and pulls out several pieces of wood and tosses them on the ground around the horse. Turns and addresses the audience

Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, my name is FrankieFigs, some of you know me, and some of you don't. Its no big deal to me really, I like keeping to myself.

I suppose you are wondering about my "sacrifice". Well, I'll tell you. Now before all the animal rights activist start getting crazy, the horse was sick and lame and by putting him down he is no longer suffering. I've done the poor thing a favor

What's that? OH! The wood, those are for all of you, as I believe some of you may be about to beat on that horse.

I guess I can get to it, as you might have guessed this point has been raised many times through the years, and as a matter of fact its almost like I am going against what type of person I am by coming here to speak, but some things just need said/asked...again...

I am a quiet man, you may see me walking the streets a bit, and you may have even talked to me. I may have been witty; I may have been an asshole, the latter being more likely. My point is: Do I NEED to come out to the streets everyday? Do I need to come to the streets once a week? What determines how good of a citizen I am? Do I get the title of good citizen only if I speak 3 times a week? Do I even NEED to engage in conversation at all, let alone BEGIN one? No, I don't.

I will tell you what I think is important, making a deference, be it in your family or in the community. There are rumors that some of the people walking the streets are hitmen, or assassins, do these types of people REALLY want their name known, or their face associated with what they do? I don't think I would. I consider myself a loyal individual, I have a Boss and a Family, I feel connected to both of them, and does my family feel that I would have their back if they were in trouble? I hope so. Isn't that enough? Knowing that your Boss, RH and family has your back? Is it really necessary to get that involved in politics?

What do you think? Does leadership require a loud voice? Or are subtle hints and examples enough?

~FF
Report Post Tip
In passing, Phantom-Ghost is caught completely off-guard by the display, but as he realizes the point Frankie is trying to make, he becomes enthralled with it.

Once it's his turn to speak, he steps up.

This is something that should have been said long ago, old friend. Long, long ago in fact. I feel street presence is a good thing if that is your personality, but I believe it is far from required.

That being said, as this is a community, I believe it is absolutely important to have a kind of personality within the community. Take one of the fresh fish straight off the boat. We don't know who they are, because most of them do not talk, and therefore we assume many things about them that may or may not be true. In reality, however, their personality is not geared towards street presence.

On a more personal note, my personality and views have been trained and geared in IRC Avenue, but is still only viewed as an extension of these shores, and have far from the effect of speaking in the streets themselves.

To sort of wrap up my thought, I think whether you speak in the street or not depends less on your position within the structure of your family, but more on if it suits your personality. Do you want to be known or not? When it is almost always assumed that those who do not make speeches, or respond are simply never going to do anything.

Phantom-Ghost tips his hat, takes a long glance at the horse, and lights a smoke.
Report Post Tip
Danny was sitting on a near bench as he saw Mr. Figs shooting this horse in the head. After the poor horse fell to the ground Mr. Figs was talking about something interesting, after Mr. Figs was gone Danny decided to listen to the other guy, Mr. Ghost who answered to the question Mr. Figs threw in.

After Mr. Ghost was done Danny decidied to give his two cents to that topic.

"I think the presence in the streets is a neccessary evil for some of us. People who are active in the streets and on IRC ave. are the poeple of the future, they're known. I think it's one of the most important points on the way to the top even it shouldn't be like that."

"There are many many great guys, great mafiosi which are capapable to reach up high but they're mutes. If you didn't made your family line known in the past and you're not a big speaker nowadays I think it looks bad for those poeple. It is hard for people who don't have the personality Mr. Ghost spoke of or for poeple with a foreign accent like me. I'm as often on the streets as I can but it is always a hard thing for me."

"Well, as said, I think streets presence is a neccessary evil in this life of ours."

Danny steps back besides Mr. Ghost, nods towards him and Mr. Figs and lights himself a cigarette.
Report Post Tip
Awesome, hearing the sound of something being shot in the face, came a-running. Seeing a dead horse, and not a dead person, yet alone not a dead child, he was disappointed. But death is death, so he stuck around to listen to the speech. And then the response. And then the other response.

What? Not important? Hell, these streets are the foundation upon which the rest of what we do thrives! If it were not for the streets then we have no purpose; no reason d're. The mafia grew from the need to protect the community, and so without the community we are nothing. And the community is the streets; the interaction between those who live here.

And to Mr. DanielOcean; a necessary 'evil'? Activity in the streets is not an evil. It is the highest and most noble of the pursuits in which we can engage. Without such activity, we are nobodies.

Awesome sits on the floor and begins to eat an orange, waiting for any further engagement. Because such engagement is his greatest passion.
Report Post Tip
Mr. Awesome,

So what are the requirements then? How much is considered "a presence"?

What if my name was 'Mr. Antisocial' being active in the streets, just wouldn't suit me? agreed?
Report Post Tip
It's safer to lay low. When you have too much presence people hate you. When they hate you it's not long before they start shooting at you. I'd rather live forever and have everyone love me because I never spoke out about anything.
Report Post Tip
Well, if the streets don't suit you, then I'd say you're not suited to this way of life. And as for what's considered a presence; if you're spending more time on here away from the streets than in them, then you're not in them enough.
Report Post Tip
As much as it pains me to say... *takes a larger than normal swig from his hipflask before letting the words pass his lips* I feel I have to agree with Awesome here.... although, with some caveats which make it almost possible.

I understand where you are coming from Mr. Figs. The bottom line, which some including yourself feel is the only thing which should matter, is the work you do for your family! How far you go to ensure the safety of your family, your boss, your brothers and sisters is what makes this thing of ours function and what makes us what we are! I can't for a second disagree with you there. To be a good citizen, you don't need to do anything other than follow the rules... or at least not get caught breaking them!

However, you go on to ask if "does leadership require a loud voice?". I, very much a personal opinion as any response to this query will be, believe the rules change when we wish to discuss leaders. At least if we wish to discuss crew leaders as apposed to providing general leadership within a family. I believe a crew leader does need to have a presence on the streets. You've asked what is required to achieve this 'presence', but sadly that's something I can't answer. It's that 'X' factor. Having a presence in the streets isn't about how often you jump out there and shout your mouth off, a single comment can have more impact than a million rants.

Now, I'm the first to admit that the above is an apparent contradiction. Why should the rules be different? Well, again, I'm afraid in the history of my bloodline that's a question that has remained unanswered. However, it's what I have come to believe, so wished to share it with you. My only justification is that I don't for one second believe it is wrong to expect that little bit more from our leaders! The greatest citizens in this thing of ours, the friendliest ladies, the funniest guys.... can and have proved to be terrible leaders over the years. Leading is something special, which few manage to achieve with success.
Report Post Tip
I seem to be confused.

Since when did we agree on the assumption that one or the other is the foundation upon which a bold suit is made?

In my personal opinion great leaders come from many walks of life. There is no "recipe" for leadership my friends. Leaders are not born because leadership is an action that requires patience, persistence, and eventual productivity. Leaders make things happen because it is a necessity.

If there is one thing I can agree upon here however, it is that all great leaders must possess one similar quality - Quality itself.

-GF
Report Post Tip
* After taking care of his daily business Sac was headed to his HQ Bar for a break. Seeing a crowd gathered around a dead horse he walks over to the group of people wandering whats going on. After listening for a while, he takes one last drag from his smoke, a large gulp from his flask, and decides its time for him to speak*

"I must say one thing. I am a person of these streets. But mostly I am a Family person. Not because I do not like anyone else or because I do not feel like I need to converse with all of you. It is because I feel as if I need to do a little more listening and growning before I can actually voice my opinions.

I am the first generation of my bloodline to venture into this lifestyle that we live, and I want to make it clear that my silence is not because I am not doing anything, or because I am shy (even though that might play a little reason) but because I want to be educated when I speak. I am a representitive for my Sponsor and Associates, so anything I say and do does not just affect me and my reputation, but theirs also. So I hold my tongue not out of fear but out of respect to the more experience mafioso around me.

So it is possible for others to share the same feelings as me and maybe this is the reason they are so quiet when it comes to the streets?

This is just my opinion and I means no disrespect to any others who voice theirs"

*Being the first time he has actually spoken in the streets he takes the rest of his flask and empties it down his throat. He then nods his head to the group and walks away as he sparks another smoke and continues to his HQ bar.*
Report Post Tip
What do you think? Does leadership require a loud voice? Or are subtle hints and examples enough?

It all depends. If your a small room, with a few people and you whisper. They'll be able to hear you and carry out what needs to be done.

If your in an auditorium, a subtle whisper, probably won't have the same effects.

But, let's go back to that small room. Those men your whispering to, they have their own voices too, right, and they speak to others. It's Pyramidal how your will is carried out.

The actions of your button men, they represent you... greater than any speech, or public appearance.

You don't need a loud voice, to be a leader, as the subtle hints and examples are suffice.
Report Post Tip
Actually Frankie, I'm gonna take you up on your offer.

Walks over, picking up one of the sticks, she proceeds to start wacking the dead horse, shouting with glee. after a while, she stops, dropping the wood and dusting off her hands.

Tension breaker, dear Frankie...I appreciate the chance to do it.

Seriously though, i think I'd rather have the strong scary silent type boss rather than the loud obnoxous ones...think about it...who's the FBI gonna come after first?!
Report Post Tip
Mike,

This question is for you, I listened to your reply and don't disagree, there obviously should be SOME type of voice when you become a leader...but what about getting to that position? IF its okay to be quiet and do you job for your family. But its not okay to be quiet as a leader, then how does one qualify?

I have to admit, that there have been leaders up in the last month, that had 25+ members in their family that I thought to myself.. "I have never seen that person until today" SOMEONE noticed them...and it sure wasnt me... I'm not angry at 'em though. Good for them for making an impact on someone important and keeping a low profile to everyone else!
Report Post Tip
Mirage listened to the debate and nodded.

I agree with everyone.
Report Post Tip
A fair question Frankie. One I'm very happy to share my thoughts on.

*Sips from his hipflask and begins to compose his thoughts*

It's very much a subjective call. I have my own views on what skills and qualities are or would be required in a potential leader, while your own views might be very different. In the end, it all comes down to the person or people who have the power to make the decision. Only they know what qualities are required for someone to be considered for auth and only they can make a decision on how important, if at all, a street presence is to that decision.

I have seen many families fall due to a leader being judged to have lacked that little 'je ne sais quoi' in the streets. I have also seen many relatively quiet leaders run extremely successful families for an extended period of time. At the same time, some of the most vocal leaders have crashed and burned where the organiation of the family beneth them was never properly run.

If a leader is to truly lead, which means leading their family, their city and the community at large, then I personally believe that they do require a street presence. As it's not something that can be switched on and off at will, I believe they should display at least an element of this during their careers in advance of an actual auth. Whether that means a number of glorious speeches or a few random comments would come down to the individual and the confidence that I had in them.

So, to answer your question... I don't believe there is an answer to your question, it comes down to the individuals concerned.
Report Post Tip
After hearing the speech and waiting a few moments for other responses, Ares steps up.

This world of ours is made for people to be active. People don't need to come out to the streets, people don't need to send any messages (except for an invite request), and can do just fine. However, as a Mafia Boss, a person must notice that people are always watching. Everything that a CL does is recorded in some way. Whether in someone's brain, or on paper. So, if we want an active streets, its the Crew Leaders that need to spark that fire. We have plenty of streets activity, but its not all "good" street activity. Not exactly "quality" work. I've looked through our Streets records, and its been a WHILE since we've had a "competition" of any sorts whatsoever. Due to some difficult financial situations and a war, it was difficult to get around to. But now, the Mafia is flourishing, and its the best time to build street activity onto this strong foundation which Marietta has so wisely laid.

Ares looks around a bit, then trots off...
Report Post Tip
Ares runs back to include a bit more

My point is: Do I NEED to come out to the streets everyday?

The correct answer is "no". You don't "need" to. The world can suffice without your street-corner speeches. However, the need of street activity isn't always definite, therefore, there can never be a definite "amount" of street activity to expect out of someone. So, there is a demand/supply of street activity that runs in flow with the game. A good leader can spot if/when it may be out of balance, and fix it.
Report Post Tip
First and foremost, I agree with you that we are not obliged to roam the streets everyday and participate in every discussion that we come across with. It is a good way to live although it does not necessarily make an individual a good citizen. One could join in every possible debate that one could find in the street and still fail at becoming a good citizen. Active participation in the streets could just be one indicator of a good citizen. After all, if that is what citizenship is all about then we could label more than half of individuals in our community as bad citizens for not having heard in the streets.

Yes, I would agree with you that it is important to make a difference but you could still become a good citizen without doing so. Never mind that you do not frequent discussions but as long as you are performing your obligations to your family and to the community, in my opinion, you are being a good citizen. Now before you accuse me of encouraging mentally deprived mafiosi, capable only of earning cash and following rules, I tell you that there is a difference between blind obedience and citizenship. Citizenship is not strictly limited to abiding by the rules and performing your tasks to the best that you can but more than that, it is committing oneself to the betterment of the community.

Loyalty is a different debate altogether and does not demand that one should engage in street discussions to prove one's loyalty to their family. Everyone could take different paths and could still be considered loyal to their family. But in general, one proves his or her loyalty not only through his or her actions but, in my opinion that is more important, throughout time. The RHM position is a good example of loyalty. They remain with their family heads no matter what. Yes we all know that there are cases wherein this does not hold true but in general, it is. A clear example of loyalty would be a RHM refusing an auth to remain at his or her family head's side. In the end, one does not need to involve oneself in politics to prove their loyalty to their family

For a leader, one does not need a loud voice as you would put it but rather, and which I think is very much important, is street presence. Yes. I know. We've always heard that line thrown around many times before and it is the reason why some family heads in the past have become subject to mockery in the streets or even put to death by their fellow leaders. Street presence is more than saying your piece in all debates that occur in the streets. It is more of establishing who you are to the community and what you stand for. Actions do speak louder than words that even those considered as "mute" crew leaders are still felt even if they do not speak very often. Subtle hints and examples are sometimes enough to lead.
Report Post Tip
Tony listening to the previous conversations from his fellow mafioso puts out his ciagarette with the toe of his shoe against the ground and steps forward, clearing his throat slightly

My good friends, I do agree with all of you on most points to be honest. I believe that a leader should have a strong presence in the street, as well I believe they should not feel they have a say in every single discussion brought to the streets.

It is one thing to show your ability, to show your knowledge, to show your leadership. It is another to roam these streets purely for own personal gain.

Tony clears his throat once more

There's an old saying that is as follows. You can not judge a book by it's cover, I feel the same is true for this world, just because of ones rank and notoriety does not qualify them to truly be a leader. They must, if you will, open their pages and allow others to see what it is they have to offer.

Tony lights up another cigarette from his jacket pocket and steps back into the crowd
Report Post Tip
I think I'll just stay quiet on the subject...
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Cant whinny with that hole in your head?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL