Get Timers Now!
X

May 01 - 22:58:16
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Character Gender Started by: McWop on Dec 12, '13 00:14

This may have been suggested before, but I'd like it if there was some place to see what gender your character is. I hate messaging people to find out I was wrong. I also think a player could have some fun with it if other options were available. Maybe this character is a robot? Or this character is a gelatinous blob. I think this could help with some of the RP aspects of the game.

Report Post Tip

I agree with the first part of this suggestion. I often times am wrong about a players gender when messaging them. But, I find the 2nd part of the suggestion completely ridiculous, simply because this game is set in the 1920's! There were no robots or gelatinous blobs.. Hell even to this day these things don't exist. I understand this could make RP a bit more fun. But, this makes no sense to the time period! 

Report Post Tip

I completely agree. But, from my observations thus far, the RP here isn't very strong. And besides which, people choose characters like that anyway. So maybe only allow the choice of "male" or "female" with your character creation. But I think a fill-in-the-blank type of thing would be interesting to see the results.

Report Post Tip

I don't argue the fact that it would be interesting at all! But, I do still think that it makes no logical sense to have people gender as robot. That isn't even a gender, neither is a blob. Technically those would be classified as species if they were real..

Report Post Tip

Good point as well. I just used those as examples, as those specifically tend to be without gender.

Report Post Tip

Ahh ok well you could introduce some freaking shit.. like once male now female ;) lol xD

Report Post Tip

Well I like the idea I mean because if your not sure when you mobmail someone you don't wanna bee offensive by calling a Bosslady sir ya know.

Report Post Tip

Lol xD I can't tell you how many times I've made that mistake!!

Report Post Tip

It's not really offensive though. If its not obvious what Gender they are, then it's not your fault you came to the wrong conclusion. If it is obvious and you got it wrong.. well.. thats entirely on you.

I can understand your point of view with regard to the RP side, however, I disagree entirely. RP is what you make of it, if you have to "choose" a gender then your character already limited to whatever choices you could really pull off in your RP. If you leave gender open to your own perspective like it currently is then the possibilities are endless. There is a Don Crewleader thats a Lion as far as I can see from just having been around for only a few days so far, now thats pretty cool. I've no idea if its a male or female Lion, but it sure appears to be a Lion none the less.

Report Post Tip

I was going to create a thread about this but then I had the brilliant idea of searching. So I figured I'd just post in a really old thread. 

I, for one, would love a feature like that. The solution to the problem described above would be having three options "Male", "Female" and "Hide". I'm not sure if the latter would be possible as I have no idea if the coders could easily code it into the game but it seems like if you could pick either male or female or just hide it from your profile altogether, I don't see there being very many objections...

In the meantime, I am using my URL field to explain that I am not female. 

Report Post Tip
I think a person's name could be ambiguous, but when a profile pic portrays a sexy redheaded WOMAN... it should be obvious? Take a look at my pic, and imagine calling me "bro", "sir", or "dude". While I change my pic quite often, it is always obvious that I am female even if my name is ambiguous. And as a side note, my sexy pics aren't me, but I look just like them... all of them... all the time... even without my bcc coffee...Heehee!
Report Post Tip

Those in favour of a sex, or gender option, is this because you hope to determine the sex of the PLAYER, or the CHARACTER?  Many players make a character that is pretty obviously male or female and expect they'll be addressed accordingly. Those that opt for something a little more ambiguous are (in my experience) aware that some people aren't sure and thus expect they may be addressed and referred to as either sex.

I personally love me some ambiguous or androgynous characters. I actually enjoy playing with that and have had characters that refer to themselves exclusively in the third person in posts, which makes it easier for me to write as the character while offering no hints of the character's sex or gender.

If we were to be given the option on creating a character, I'd like a third option of "----" which would be the default, unless you click a dropdown and select something different.

Report Post Tip

why not write it on your profile yourself not everythin need to be coded lol

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Character Gender
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL