Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 17:06:53
Page:  1 
Too Usual? Started by: Ares on Dec 29, '08 00:44
Its what you do. Its the same routine, day after day. You wake up, throw on the coat, and walk out onto the street. You pick up the weekly AMPMAGazine Issue, and you get in your car. You start it up, and roll over to local "hangout". You notice the heavily armed sentries at the entrance. Its a safe place-if you're meant to be there. So, after taking a brief look at what the local fare for drugs is, you walk back outside, and down the street to the local dealer. You pick up a few pounds of heroin, neatly place them in your briefcase and hand the dealer about 6 stack of $100s. You methodically walk back to your car and start it up. You throw the briefcase in the back, as you drive your way to the airport. However, just before arriving, you pass a 7/11 shop, and decide to hit it up.

"Hmm... That shop just went into business. It may still have that "new-shop" smell. Been a while since I got a good heist."

Just before you get out of the car, you remember that this is JimmyTheLionHeart's turf.

"Pfft, nevermind, JimmyTheLionHeart doesn't keep close look on this little iota of his town anyway. What the hell."

Ater a somewhat-rushed manner of "thinking this through" you grab your pistol and knock it over. You know, the usual.

"Gimme the fucking money! Now! In the bag!"

As you wave around your pistol, you see $20s, $10s, $5s, and eventually a stack of $1 bills pass into the sack. After taking a look at the filled bag, you find it to be adequate and leave. You get back into your car, check the money. $500. You find the amount to be sufficient for a new shop, and drive over to the airport. You check your flight times, and then fly back to your home city, and rush into your HQ with your newly-acquired drugs.

Now I ask you, what is wrong with this? I'm certain that many, if not all, do this on a usual basis, and find no problems in doing so. The problem is that we aren't naturally territorial anymore. We let people from OTHER families, come to OUR cities, and knock up OUR 7/11s all day. What's the point in owning a city if people can just walk all over it, making money off YOUR turf. Personally, I would expect more effort from mobsters to defend their home-cities. Don't you own the city? Isn't it YOUR territory? Why are modern mafiosi allowing people they don't even know to extort YOUR shops and stores?
Report Post Tip
I like to consider those stores the ones that do not pay for protection. If I received a tribute from them then rest assured they would be under my protection. Now another reason I can see for this is it would become obsolete. Every family would end up charging a tax for people to visit there cities therefore lowering profits for the family as the family would be required to pay the tax.
Report Post Tip
We allow others into our city because it is good for business. If we limited who can visit a city, the business districts would be inactive, and the city would be bare. Of course leaders are somewhat protective of their city, like if there was a threat to them. But taxes, lockdowns, and things like that, they are not a good idea, to me at least. I prefer to promote my city, and encourage people to visit.
Report Post Tip
Good question, Ares. I often wonder what's the point of having power if you don't use it. There are people that don't like to rock the boat. I like those who rock the world.
Report Post Tip
I have to agree with Jimmy and Hayley on this matter. Clearly the stores in our cities that are under our protection would not be touched hence the ones you enjoy robbing are those we do not protect. And those poor old ladies and their purses well they are just fair game for everyone. Except my nan. You vultures stay away from her.

I do not expect others that come to my city to pay tribute for doing crimes or dealing drugs as it just boosts the amount of cash flow that runs through the beaches of LA.

If you really feel bad about doing crimes on another families grounds then why not offer up a tribute on your own accord. Would not only show good intentions as well as showing that you have respect for the Don of that city.
Report Post Tip
I completely understand where you all are coming from. It makes sense to have people in your city, it can help build a thriving Business District. But, is this tourism or the mafia? I mean no disrespect in anything I say here, but it seems like you guys are more preoccupied just trying to get people in your city, rather than the businesses therein.

Prozac, as far as paying a tribute for performing crime in someone's city, that is not the change I was looking for in everyday mafia life. I was hoping that the host family would put more pressure on the visitors. However, your statement has intrigued me.

"I do not expect others that come to my city to pay tribute for doing crimes or dealing drugs as it just boosts the amount of cash flow that runs through the beaches of LA."

So, are you saying that you're making money off these people hitting up your shops, dropping off their drugs, and flying away in search of making money on their drug load?
Report Post Tip
Well yes, you see when people fly in and drop off a load of drugs and takes out another load it raises and lowers the prices for those that are in my family. And as my family buy and sell these drugs they pay tribute to me. So if there was no visitors to help the drugs flow all the drugs would simply dry up and the drug business in LA would be stagnant.

And I wouldnt say these people are hitting up MY shops, they are simply hitting up the ones that are not in MY business district. If you were to walk into the business district and try to hold up one of those shops I can guarantee there would be problems then.
Report Post Tip
I feel we need to become more territorial again. Someone owns the streets, you gotta respect it. Why just let some rob from your city? We need the boost for the business district, but as Ares said, this isn't a tourist attraction. We're the mafia. It needs to be known were the mafia. Just the other day I saw a man not from the L.A. area, not giving any names. But he had a nice bold suit on, tough looking character, skipping through the streets freely. Yes, skipping merrily. Then he skips across the street and knocks over a 7-11 I was about to hit. So not only did I miss out on some good cash, I had to find another 7-11.

We have people coming in from all over our seven cities, taking from the local families for free.
Report Post Tip
Point well made BlackVampire. I will be sure to remind you of this next time I see you in Detroit.

Just by the way, if you told me that you had your eyes on that particular 7-11, I would have gladly let you do your thing...

Kicks a stone across the street.
Report Post Tip
Danny jumps aside to avoid a stone flying his way. After this successful attempt Danny began to talk.

"A very interesting point you bring up there Ares. It makes sense that the Dons of the city will get their cut from profit the mafiosi of other families make, like Godmother Marietta does."

"But I have to agree with Don Jimmy, I also see these businesses as non-protected ones, except in Detroit, Godmother Marietta has all under her that's why she gets her cut. Also I agree with Prozac. You need poeple in your city to get the drug business flowing. If the dealers can't sell their drugs the prices will fall to zero and the city dies."
Report Post Tip
<bk stumbles="" onto="" the="" debate="" after="" fleeing="" scene="" of="" a="" bank="" he="" just="" held="" up="" at="" gun="" point="" decides="" it="" discussion="" worth="" throwing="" his="" hat="" into="">

Excuse me gentlemen. I overheard you men discussing this topic & have something to say.

While I agree with the general concept that free trade is what allows our cities to flourish, with respects to the narcotics trafficking in particular, and that only those business'es not under protection are being hit therefore no disrespect to the respective Dons of the city, I do also believe there may be a way to compromise for both sides.

What if a time limit is imposed on a mafioso's stay in the city? Say a 2.5-3HR max stay without tax. If they have been caught staying in excess of this limit, they will be expected to pay a set tax amount for the violation/tribute. This way the general act of visiting ones city to profit off of the drug prices is not restricted but would make you leave asap either to another destination or your home city.

<bk ponders="" a="" bit="" looking="" for="" something="" to="" add="" this="" thought="">

In addition you could establish a ranking system. Say all those ranked Made Man & above are exempt from this however should pay a respectful tribute to the cities Don if they stay for a long time. All those ranked from Thug - Wise Guy are subject to the 3HR rule.

Just a thought. Something that would maybe please everyone regardless of which side of the fence you are on.

<at this="" bk="" falls="" back="" into="" the="" cut="" waiting="" to="" hear="" any="" comments="" on="" his="" approach="" matter="" /></bk></bk>
Report Post Tip
I would gladly pay a tax sir if there was a tax enforced. But it would be easier to collect it from the head of the members family. We have many mafioso, so it would be hard to keep track of who's paid.

But we give a lot of free rides out these days. I'm sorry to say, and I mean this in no disrespect to anyone, but we have all softened up.
Report Post Tip
I agree we should have to pay a tax. But i think it should be a Family tax, i think each head should pay say 1000$ a month per member they have to each head because they know for certain that the members will at one point go to that heads city.
Report Post Tip
Im taking a mad stab in the dark but .....

The only current godfather with us is Marietta and she owns the city of Detroit and allows people to make money from the business in that city via different crimes. I am fairly sure that no one offers protection to any store holders or anyone.

The other godfathers, Javan, Chris Moyles, Anita, Public Enemy, Scotland and Evise all chose not to tax crimes in their cities.
Report Post Tip
BK I just have to say that while it can be a good idea what if you stay overnight in a city or maybe you miss a day because it is christmas or you are somewhere else, when you come back you might have to pay a whole load of tax because you've been in a city for about 28 hours
Report Post Tip
Walking in the Streets, Jasey_Rae hears the discussion going on. As he hears a break in the conversation, he puts in his own thoughts.

It doesn't make any sense to me to tax people to be in anothers city. Like Jimmy, Haley, and Prozac said, people coming into the different cities is good for business. If we were to be taxed for being in anothers city all of the drugs and the business districts would stop being able to function as they do now. As for the Don's of the seven cities being "soft", I don't see it. They still run their cities as they always have and if there is a threat posed to them, I believe that none of them would hesitate to tell any of us to get out of their city. I mean no disrespect, but in my opinion things are fine the way they are and implementing taxes would be bad for business.

With that he fades into the crowd and listens to the other perspectives being tossed in to the discussion.
Report Post Tip
Business would still run as it is now, as long as the families pay. And the tax wouldn't be some crazy high tax that takes a lot from the families. As Ares and I have said. We treating the cities like a tourist attraction. Its bad for business to just let any mafioso run around and take what they please.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Too Usual?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL