Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 01:27:34
Page:  1 
Corktown Wineries Started by: Romana on Feb 01, '14 08:34

The buildings on the street were crammed together, not even an alleyway to separate them. Most had peeling paint and drab exteriors, but there was one that shone out and attracted curious glances. The old Federal rowhouse sported flowerboxes in the windows that were flourishing even in the bitter cold, and bright blue shutters fanned out against the red bricks. A young woman was hanging a chalkboard on the bricks by the door, her gauzy dress blowing in the biting winter wind. She whipped out a piece of chalk and put a few finishing flourishes onto the sign before backing away to admire it:

“Corktown Wineries—Now Open!”

“Now that's what I call gentrification!” She laughed and tucked the chalk back into the pocket of her overcoat before tripping up the short flight of stairs into the building, her hands brushing over the gleaming wooden railings. She paused on the threshold, grinning as she surveyed its layout. It was definitely strange when compared to the usual setup—instead of a long bar that set everything up in a line, there was a circular counter in the center of the room with a number of tall, comfortable chairs arranged neatly around it. Patrons could taste wine casually at the counter, but the real socialization happened in the little tables scattered about the oddly decorated room. There were the usual decorations one would expect at a winery—empty barrels and shelves with wax grapes—but the walls also bore odd circular patterns reminiscent of the innards of a watch. Romanadvoratrelundar knew what they meant—and the handful of family members she had taught to read them would be able to know that just upstairs was where the real fun would be had—and money to be made.

For, although Romana had stocked her basement with the finest wines possible, she knew that the average citizen of Detroit would really be panting for the whiz of roulette wheels she had hidden upstairs. Indeed, she had stocked the two upstairs floors with a variety of gambling ventures: poker, craps, blackjack, baccarat, even a couple of rusty slot machines. For dealers, she had scrounged up a few pretty girls who were tired of working the corner—pretty girls who still had enough wits about them to tilt the odds toward the house without being caught.

Romana could hear them chatting idly upstairs as she set menus out on the tables in preparation for the incoming customers:

Wines by the Glass or Bottle

Reds

Red Bordeaux

-1922 Chateau Beychevelle

Zinfandel

-1918 Paso Robles

Pinot noir

-1920 Chateau Corvilleaux

Cabernet sauvignon

-1917 L'sang de Bacchus

Whites

Chardonnay

-1923 Valais

Moscato

-1916 Terracini

Reisling

-1919 Bergez-Frank's

Sauvignon blanc

-1922 Constantia

Each bottle of wine comes with a complimentary cheese sampler!

Report Post Tip
Vincent had been roaming the blustery streets of Detroit for a few hours, checking out the random shops that the business district had to offer. Not many piqued his interest, the cold air had him in somewhat of a foul mood. Deciding that some alcohol would more than likely take care of said mood, a smile spread across his face as he walked by Corktown Wineries.

Stepping through the door and brushing off the snow that had gathered on his coat, Vincent took a look around. It seemed unique enough - a different style bar, barrels all around, etc. Wine never really got Vincent drunk, but it did help to take the edge off. With a half smile on his face, his eyes constantly darting back and forth, Vincent cleared his throat and and approached the only worker he saw.

"Hello!"
Report Post Tip

Romana turned and grinned to the man who had entered her establishment.

"Well, hello sir! If you could just take a seat at the bar, I've got some lovely Pinot Noir that came in--or, if white's more your flavor, a Moscato with nice peachy undertones."

As she speaks, Romana's eyes dart over the man, sizing him up. The way that his shoulders were thrust back and his eyes squinted gave him a very confident air, but she couldn't help but feel that he was cagey--mostly from the way his eyes kept darting around. A strange combination, but certainly not outside of the realms of possibility, especially for a human who had grown up in a low-income household. She was lost in mental statistics for a brief moment before snapping herself back to the present.

"So, er, what'll it be sir?"

Report Post Tip
Vincent took in his surroundings, and gathered that the woman was not a threat. This calmed him slightly, ever worried as he was about someone trying to harm him. He gave some thought as to which type of wine he wanted and after a few minutes of serious debate, he realized that he was extremely far away from being classified as a wine connoisseur. He'd really just wanted something to relax him and help calm his nerves.

Hoping that the lady wouldn't mind terribly much, Vincent took a hand rolled cigar out of the case he'd been carrying in his pocket and lit a match, turning the cigar slowly as to ensure an even light. Puffing on it for a few more moments, Vincent cocked his head to the side and looked back at the lady.

"Well, to be quite honest ma'am... I'm not really sure. I'm not often finding myself in the mood for wine, so I'm actually not terribly familiar with what's best! Do you have anything that will help clear my mind, perhaps relax my body a bit?"

Vincent smiled at the attractive lady, extending his hand.

"The name's Vincent by the way ma'am, nice to meet you."
Report Post Tip

Romana took his hand and gave it a firm shake, flashing a bright smile.

"Well, if you won't be offended, I'll admit that I had you pegged for more of a whiskey man. I think that you might enjoy...let's see..." She quickly lifts a well-hidden door on the counter, slipping behind it and glancing through her selection. "Here--let's try a glass of this Bordeaux. It has a nice woody undertone, but I think you'll enjoy the plum aftertaste more."

She carefully pours out a glass of the red wine, pushing it gently towards Vincent.

Report Post Tip

Angus spots the sign outside the smartly turned-out building, the one with the flowerboxes and new paint. Someone's clearly taken some effort to make it stand out amongst the surrounding buildings.

“Corktown Wineries—Now Open!”

An opportunity not to be missed. Angus' brother Malcolm is a a bit of a wine fancier so feeling his Philly Brotherly Love Angus pops in to see what he can find.

Politely turning down the opportunity to throw a few chips down at the tables upstairs Angus takes a look at the wine list.

Wines by the Glass or Bottle

Reds

Red Bordeaux

-1922 Chateau Beychevelle

Zinfandel

-1918 Paso Robles

Pinot noir

-1920 Chateau Corvilleaux

Cabernet sauvignon

-1917 L'sang de Bacchus

Whites

Chardonnay

-1923 Valais

Moscato

-1916 Terracini

Reisling

-1919 Bergez-Frank's

Sauvignon blanc

-1922 Constantia

Each bottle of wine comes with a complimentary cheese sampler!

Well Malcolm likes his reds Angus expects that the -1922 Chateau Beychevelle will probably be the wine of preference.

A small leaflet is on display next to the bottle and Angus takes a read.

Château Beychevelle, A prestigious Cru Classé whose character has been forged by three centuries of history…
Nowhere does the word Château in its noblest sense ring
as true as it does at Beychevelle.

The elegance of its classical architecture makes
it a jewel in the crown of the Médoc, coveted since its creation by the powerful families who have successively marked the economic, political and cultural life of Bordeaux and the region.

Under Henri III, Beychevelle was the fief
of the Dukes of Epernon, particularly the first of them:
Jean-Louis Nogaret de la Valette. This Admiral and Governor
of Guyenne was all-powerful; according to legend, the boats that passed before his Château had to lower their sails
as a sign of allegiance.

Hence the name "Baisse-Voile" (lowering of sails),
which was to become Beychevelle, and the emblem
of the Château, the ship with a prow in the shape
of a griffin guarding Dionysus' cellar.

Built in the 17th century, reconstructed by the Marquis
de Brassier in 1757 and extended by the Heine family
at the end of the 19th century, Château Beychevelle
has recently been restored to its original splendour.
Classical in its lines, the imposing façade, topped
with a majestic triangular pediment and with wings
on each side, is embellished with volutes and vases
that give it an exuberantly baroque appearance.
Today owned by Grands Millésimes de France
(Castel and Suntory Groups), Château Beychevelle offers
a unique setting for the organisation of prestigious events

Angus is sure that his brother will appreciate such a noble wine and proceeds to order several cases.

Report Post Tip

Speaking with urgency Rose had informed her driver the address of her destination.  She had received important news that was delightful, and cause for celebration.  Unfortunately she was out of town at the moment, and would be roughly a 9 hour drive still.  Rose couldn't book a flight home tonight no matter how persuasive she had attempted to be, so it looked as if it would be a long drive.  

Her burgundy velvet dress kept her warm with this cool Detroit weather.  She snuggled in the seat pulling the wrap tighter around her shoulders.  The driver announced the winery was a couple of streets down.  Rose wasn't sure what the dinner menu would be later on, so she opted to get 10 bottles each of red and white.  She also needed to stop at a local bakery before heading home, but that would have to be her last stop.

When she arrived at the winery, Rose gathered her wrap keeping it closed as she braved the cool air, and walked with graceful speed inside.  The winery was decorated uniquely,and not like any other winery she had visited before.  The round bar appeared to be quite inviting for socializing as you sampled the wines, but today she was simply in a rush.  Rose flagged down the closest attendant to inquire about her order.  The young man paused, offering a smile as he greeted her.

"Good afternoon Miss.  How can I be of service?"

She excitedly mentioned the celebration upcoming this evening, and her bubbly chatter caused the young man to hold his smile as he listened to her rattling on.

".....yes, so I will need as many as you have in stock.  We have quiet a crowd to cater to, and I need to make sure there is enough.  I was thinking perhaps 10 bottles of your Red Bordeaux 1922 Chateau Beychevelle, and at least 10 or 12 of your Chardonnay 1923 Valais."

Rose wasn't sure if they carried her brand of champagne, but this order should suit the evening.  The attendant inquired if Rose would like to sit at the bar, while she waited for the order to be collected, so she headed towards the round bar only intending to rest a couple minutes.  

"Good afternoon ma'am.  Could I interest you in a glass of red or white wine today?"

"Well actually I prefer white wine.  What do you have open already?"

The hostess went to the opposite side of the bar, and returned quickly with an empty glass and a bottle of Reisling 1919 Bergez-Frank's. Pouring a small amount in the glass, the lady slides the glass towards Rose.  

Taking a small taste, Rose wonders if she chose the right wine for the evening.  This was pretty delicious, but she did have her favorite wine selected for the evening.  The attendant returned to inform Rose the order was ready and boxed.  After making the payment for the wine, she thanks him for the prompt service, and includes a generous tip for such a short notice rush.

The two delivery boys had the boxes near the front door, and waited for her to fetch her driver.  Once neatly packed in the car, Rose was off on her way to purchase some sweet treats from the local bakery.  This was going to be an eventful night, and she couldn't wait to return home.

Report Post Tip

Finally a wine-shop, the last ot the things Tutte needed for a suxess-eveing with his girlfriend.

"Hey, can I have 2 bottle of Sauvignon blanc please, this is a really good wine for seafood as I know, isnt it, yes, as I thought, thanks and have a good time"

Tutte walked gladly back to his appartment and were very glad it didnt take longer to get all his girlfriend asked for.

Report Post Tip

kiddo has a date later and stopped in  Corktown Wineries to pick up a good red wine for the occassion..he talks for a good while with the owner and they came to a conclusion on what to get.kiddo say he will take it. pays the man and shakes his hand and then strolls away to get his car cleaned also.

Report Post Tips: 1 / Total: $20,000 Tip

Roger was walking around in the winery and searching for something good for an event, he decides to pick up a few crates of chardonnay.

"I'd like a few crates of this chardonnay my good sir."

He brings his car around the back so they can get loaded into the vehicle.

Report Post Tip

Tutte were holding a small påarty later on this evening with some good friends and now he was on mission to get some good wine to the food they should have.

It was fish-stew on menu so he wanted some good red wine and looked up Cabernet sauvignon -1917 L'sang de Bacchus which will suits fine.

"I'll have 6 bottles of the Cabernet auvignon my good man, can take them here, have my car just outside"

He puts the crate in the backseat and jumps in and drives away, next thing some fish to tonight.

Report Post Tip

Having finished his breakfast at Bobby's Bagels Grosso headed out. He still had no idea what he was going to do today so he once again wondered the streets of Detroit. The streets were getting busy with people quickly walking towards their work. Most of them not paying attention to their surroundings looking down at the streets. 

Grosso had spent some of last night at his hotels bar. It had been a quiet night there with barely anyone to talk to. He decided he would go out and get himself some alcohol in case he ended up without anyone he knew. An evening with a good book and a glass of wine or whiskey were evening's Grosso savored. He was unsure if Detroit hd a library or a book store nearby but he would check on that later. First he would go out in search of some alcohol. 

After searching for a place to buy wine, they were hidden well because of prohibition, he finally found a place called Corktown Wineries. As he entered the store he found it cosy and warm. The smell of wine made him smile and he continued his way through the store towards the counter. There he found a young woman unpacking new bottles of wine and placing them in crates for customers to find. 

He walked up to the counter and had a look on the chalkboard listing the wines she had in her collection. 

"Good day sir," the young woman greeted him, "How could I be of service today?"

Grosso smiled as the young woman greeted him and replied, 

"Good day to you too. I am looking for a nice bottle of white wine. And I am having trouble deciding between the Chardonnay and the Sauvignon Blanc."

The young woman walked away in search of both bottles and placed them on the counter. She continued to talk about the differences and what to look for in a wine. Grosso appreciated the little history and facts about them. She finished up her story by recommending the Chardonnay. 

"Thank you very much for this lesson, it is much appreciated" Grosso smiled, "I will take the Chardonnay"

Grosso placed the money on the counter as the young woman rang up the bottle. She gave him his change which he left on the counter and took the bottle of wine, packed in brown paper, and left the store. He decided to bring the bottle to his hotel first before continuing. he would not take the chance of getting caught carrying a bottle of alcohol.   

Report Post Tip

"Were gonna hold a small party so I want 6 bottles of Moscato 1916 Terracino and also 6 bottles of Cabernet saucignon  1917 L'sang de Bacchus, can take them on crates and you can help me carry out them to my cab that sands just outside the entrance"

He really hopeed this was enough now for our crew-celebration this evening, now he had to find something to eat to tonight to the whine to take home, this should be a great celebration for all of us, thats a fact!

Well in the cab and the whine safely put in the backseat with me so I could keep them saf. When the can started to drive on he told the driver to take him to a restaurang with food that they allowed costumer to take home, he answered he knew a place his brother had so he promised good meal and very cheap to. A big smalie started in his face, everything should be fixed as he had as wish and surprise for the others later on this evening.

Report Post Tip

Kiddo stops in his old City and is here to pick up a present for his girlfriend at Corktown Wineries. he walks in walls and walls of wine..he walks up to an old friend joe and asked for the best and vintage red wine possible joe turns to get Kiddo's wine and shows him 1 of the best,kiddo asks the price joe says $200 Kiddo gets out his credit card and purchases it ,he said ty to joe and says it's for a special friend.and winked and out the door kiddo goes.

Report Post Tip

Ben walked into the building, and jogged straight out, determining that wine would impair his dedication to his god.

Report Post Tip

Taiga didn't pride herself on being a woman of class. She would eat burgers and pizza over steak and salmon any day and knew what it was like to live on the streets with next to nothing to her name. But if there was one thing other than clothes which she'd gladly spend her hard-earned money on, it would definitely be good quality wine. Particularly red wine, as white wine had never tickled her fancy. She liked something heavy and alluring, almost to the point that it's seductive. And nothing pairs with two-day-old pizza a good merlot, so there's that too.

Today, she wanted to treat herself to a bottle or two. Don't judge her -- she's not an alcoholic, just in a drinking mood after closing a deal she didn't know she could do alone. She'd recently been given more responsibility in her family and it was nice to know that she could keep up. Walking into Corktown Wineries, a smile already crept on her face as she smelled the familiar slightly acidic grapey aroma in the air. She looked at their selection of wines and pursed her lips. "Would you have something from the mid-1800s? I want to drink something that's old enough to be my grandparent." After checking the back, they found an 1864 Bual and had it brought back to her table. The taste was incomparable and well worth the hefty price tag. She initially planned to drink quickly and rapidly tonight, but her plans changed -- instead, she was going to take it slow and easy, looking at the Detroit skyline with a smile on her face.

Report Post Tip

Ennio walked up the stairs. His visit was an usually one that he had phoned in. He wanted a private viewing or tasting. He handed his envelop of cash to the slim girl at the door. He had no intention of something physical, he was here to feed his mind. He had gotten to his station in life by not savoring the luxuries of the flesh.

By the window was a set table with grapes, cheeses, even some fig with gourmet crackers. The real item of interest were the row of bottles, each with a tiny blank card. The door opened and Ennio looked to see a portly man enter.

"Thank you for coming Don Morricone. It is my pleasure to help you."

Ennio nodded and although he was indeed a little hungry, he was excited to learn more about the finest red wines in the world. As he was dining more with the elite of America, he found his poor childhood did not prepare him for orderly in the best hotels and restaurants.

"Let's begin" and the balding man poured Ennio a class from the first bottle, "Tell me what words come to mind when you drink this one.."

Ennio lifted the bottle, placed his large nose within for a slight smell and gave it a swirl. He had at least some grace to know how to start, but for many years he was faking it. Today, he wanted the vice president of Corktown Wineries to enlighten him. Some education is costly, but this was a worthy investment. He took his first sip and smiled.

Report Post Tip

SamRind signed the registry, using one of his pseudonym names. Travis von Smud. Phew, who would name their kid that, but he gave a sour look to the service lady, trying his best european look and proceeded to follow her up the stairs.

On a table was a great selection and display of nuts, cheeses, crackers and grapes. Several bottles of wine were also on the table with glasses. All without labels. A portly man entered the room and proceeded to explain why it was important to know wines and avoid bad wines.

And so proceeded one of his more educational days. There was some important learning here to be had. 

Report Post Tip

Detroit Business District
Replying to: Corktown Wineries
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL