Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 28 - 21:14:22
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Why do crackdowns cost what they do? Started by: KingOfOnePercent on Jan 08, '09 15:50
Since crackdowns have come in to play, they have generally been sold for 100k or around that area. In the beginning it erred on the higher side, even pushing as high as 150k, whereas now they seem to be hovering around the 70-80k range.

My question is, why? When/why was this price range decided on as being fair? A conversation that's just taken place in divinelunacy got me thinking about this, and for the benefit of those who aren't there, I came to the following conclusion.

A roughly 'average' minimun wage in the USA is $7. On mafiareturns, assuming the average petty is around 300, a Mafiareturns minimum wage would be around $10000-$15000. (Taking drug deals into an account, plus the fact that not all users can felony)

Based on this, the 'fairest' conversion rate would be around 1.00 USD = 25000 MRD (Mafia Returns Dollars). I say this because, obviously, one is a real and viable currency which can be used and exchanged worldwide whereas one can only be used this domain.

Does the fact that one is a real currency and one is not allow for such difference between the two. Is 1 USD really worth 70k + on this game?

Discuss!
Report Post Tip
Actually, something I completely didn't take into an account

If the minimum wage is $7, then one crackdown is 1/7th of that; in MR terms around 3-10k (1/7th of whatever you make in an hour - depending on rank)
Report Post Tip
Actually, something I completely didn't take into an account

If the minimum wage is $7, then one crackdown is 1/7th of that; in MR terms around 3-10k (1/7th of whatever you make in an hour - depending on rank)
Report Post Tip
When i sell, i sell for 75k a pop. I dont know why, it just seems fair and i get great business. If people are willing to pay the money, then why not charge? It's like a cheeseburger, they only cost about 3 cents to make, however people pay way more than that for them
Report Post Tip
It's always the case the the sale price of a product won't necessarily reflect the manufacture price, but if two brands are marketing the same product - the oldest trick in the book is to lower your price in an effort to appeal to a wider range of people.

I don't get why that's not the case here, the key point of selling crackdown is to generate more cash for yourself after all; so it's surprising, to me at least, that no one has started selling crackdowns at say - 40k to see is this bags them more money.
Report Post Tip
True, people could sell for a cheaper price and reap the profit in, but only when they're on. My prices vary if im not the only seller on at that time
Report Post Tip
I sell mine for $2,000,000 if anyones interested...

According to a study at the University of Iowa my crackdowns are 75% greater than all the rest.
Report Post Tip
Damn the communists! Under your philosophies, shouldnt they be free, to everyone?!
Report Post Tip
i would say that any service sells for the maximum price that the market will support.
Report Post Tip
People who sell them cheap are not always around as frequently as those who sell them higher. When I can't pay 1.00 USD for a crackdown, I often go to whoever is around, sometimes ranging upwards of 80k/CD.
Report Post Tip
i used to sell crackdowns quite frequently. And i based it on how much money i actually had in my bank account (irl) so i didn't go broke. and if they were buying more then one at a time i would cut them a break.

It depends on the seller, i used to sell between 2 and 10 crackdowns a day and once i saw the big hit on my bank account (i'm a broke college student) i decided to charge more and not sell as many.

Again, like i said, it just depends on each individual seller.
Report Post Tip
Basic supply and demand. There's limited number of people willing and/or able to provide the service, there's a large number of people (size depends on average rank and thus wealth of the population at any given time) that would like to buy these crackdowns.

If more people were offering them, the price would come down.

That said, they are a luxury good - so the price may never fall to the true equilibrium as people are always willing to pay over the odds for luxury items.
Report Post Tip
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. I really see no logic in trying to equate it to an average minimum wage. That average minimum wage is probably horribly skewed anyway based on the fact that "average" generally refers to the mean. This is problematic because the few but incredibly high earners raise the mean number significantly.
Report Post Tip

It's like a cheeseburger, they only cost about 3 cents to make, however people pay way more than that for them

You're paying for more than just that one burger: wages, administration, delivery, packaging, advertising, storage, bills, etc. Plus a profit.

Report Post Tip
A crackdown is pretty much worth what anyone is willing to pay for it. God bless America!!!
Report Post Tip
Pffft. I call shenanigans on "the average petty is around 300".

This is AMERICA, my friend.

Unless you count that one time I was drunk, signed on MR, flew to Manchester or somewhere and started buying and selling parts of a full english breakfast. Actually, just go ahead and disregard this.
Report Post Tip
Lack of competition to drive prices down, or a price-fixing cartel....bloody gangsters.
Report Post Tip
....becuase one is a fictional currency ffs! It is a miricle people pay REAL money they went out and earned for the game atall!

I understand, and fully suport, people donating to the staff. They do a great job and obviously just running an immense game isnt going to put food on the table in RL.

When I get a promotion or when the minimum wage rises from 4.77/hour ill be sending them a bit aswell cos hell, they earned it.

I also understand that buying crackdowns is another form of donating to the site.

But to try to justify a currency conversion and tell people that they should charge less mafia money is a bit of a joke. Game money can be made by sitting at your computer. Its like those kids that spend forever making WoW characters and selling them for hundreds of dollars! Very intuative of the people that started it but never the less, incredibly sad!
Report Post Tip
To make a long story short..They are worth what people are willing to pay. If enough people start charging 150k a CD, people will pay it, then when one drops to 120k, more people will go there. Simple supply and demand :)
Report Post Tip
How does it decide who gets jailed? Is it everybody not online?
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Why do crackdowns cost what they do?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL