Get Timers Now!
X

May 02 - 09:31:30
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Give it some skill? Started by: Frijj on Jan 13, '09 19:08
Yes, it is another 'How to improve wacking inactives because it sucks' thread.

Yet, I don't think it sucks I would just like to see it made that slightly bit more skilful rather than just having a button that you can click in the same place without moving your mouse.

So, keep everything the same barring the wack button.

Now, If you go to your petty page you may notice your petty crime button moves everytime the page is loaded? Can the same not be done with the wack button?

It adds a bit more skill, a bit more reflexes but does not kill loading times for anyone. It just means those with the fastest net may now find that being able to click loads of times more than everyone else doesn't mean they have a better chance. Someone with a shit net connectin but amazing reflexes may now match them.

Just a thought.
Report Post Tip
I agree 100%.
Report Post Tip
I must say this is a brilliant idea and i can't see anything bad about it.
Report Post Tip
I have suggested something like this in the past, where you would have a "wack code" similar to the petty codes received.

I think moving the wack button would be a semi-easier solution to help "balance" wack attempts.
Report Post Tip
There's other ways around that though, simply hitting enter while in the wack box does the same thing as hitting the button itself.
Report Post Tip
Apprently only work on IE.

Does not work on Firefox anyhows.
Report Post Tip
Sure it does, i use that method occasionally.
Report Post Tip
the method does not work on firefox, Only Internet Explorer..
Report Post Tip
Not in the whisper box people, the 'Whom do you want to WACK! today?' box. it does work, i just did it. like, two seconds ago i put in a fake name and tried it. so you cant tell me it doesnt
Report Post Tip
well you must have a magical computer as you are the only person who can do that.

Like i said before brilliant idea, would love to see it being put into action.
Report Post Tip
am i also the only one who can click on the petty and hit enter for it to work on fire fox?
Report Post Tip
We are talking about the wack feature :P
Report Post Tip
I tried it GrandNannyRourke and I am unable to press Enter using FireFox

This would be an interesting addition. Perhaps even have a trial run and get some feedback about whether we feel it was successful or didn't make any difference
Report Post Tip
CLICKING on your crime then pressing enter does yield the same result as clicking the Do button.

GNR is not alone as that is how I do it too to speed up my petty times.

On the subject note, honestly I don't think that adds skill. I think it increases the amount of luck needed to hit an IA. Which at the moment is ridiculously high for anyone lacking blazing fast internet.

Stop changing it unless it is a change for the better, I miss the old way myself because you didn't need FiOS to be a very successful marksman.
Report Post Tip
To be honest I would prefer something more along the lines of the old manually promoted IAs. It could still be done automatically, the point being promote a bunch of them at once, that way everybody gets a fair chance and it spreads them around. At the very least put some sort of random element into the time factor instead of having a gang of gunman standing around staring at one poor little lazy-arsed civilian waiting for high noon...
Report Post Tip
POD, of course it adds skill. How could it not?

You need the skill and reflexes to load the wack page and react quickly to wherever the wack button is. If you do not then you may only have the chance to hit it 3 or maybe 4 times. However, if you are good enough to follow it round the screen quickly you may get 10-15 attempts.
Report Post Tip
CLICKING on your crime then pressing enter does yield the same result as clicking the Do button.

GNR is not alone as that is how I do it too to speed up my petty times.

On the subject note, honestly I don't think that adds skill. I think it increases the amount of luck needed to hit an IA. Which at the moment is ridiculously high for anyone lacking blazing fast internet.

Stop changing it unless it is a change for the better, I miss the old way myself because you didn't need FiOS to be a very successful marksman.

Reply by: ProphetOfDeath at Jan 14, '09 01:13

a) Depends what you base being a successful marksman on, hits, or %.

b) You don't need blazing fast internet speed, my home connection is 5 times faster than my work connection yet I do better at work.

c) How can a moving target not increase the skill needed. With a wack button moving around the screen hand eye co-ordination is very important.

I think it would be a good idea to trial subject to sorting out the "press return" issue if that exists.
Report Post Tip
Pressing return wouldn't do anything on the wack page.
Report Post Tip
It does on certain browsers POD.

Anyway, to elaborate somewhat on my answer and to mirror what those have said before me - I can't see how this does anything but good. It involves an element of concentration, hand eye coordination and reflexes where as before it was mindless clicking and nothing else.

Personally, I could see absolutely no reason to scrap the old method of profile>hitlist>wack. It might be argued that it's tougher on people with slower connection thanks to the added steps, but I was always on 1mb connection in that time and I did fine - and I can name others who did too.

Either way, that's not looking like an option so I see this as the best compromise.
Report Post Tip
The enter key only affects the page if the name field has focus. If the whisper box has focus all it does is give a new line, if the whole page has focus it does nothing. Tested in the latest version of FF and IE 7.

Haven't tried it in Chrome or Opera, but I want to say most people use FF/IE over the others.
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Give it some skill?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL