Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 25 - 10:25:57
Page:  1 
Gamer + Sports = ? (contest) Started by: AdmiralAckbar on Apr 30, '14 08:33

Dear friends,

Some of you may know that I am an athlete with my own businesses in the sport world. The other day I was reading a book about creating a new branch within an existing market. For weeks I have been thinking about a new group sport concept that has the power and motivation to pull gamers or people with low motivation out of their chairs into the outside world..

Of course I have my ideas, but still it's hard to put myself in the shoes of someone that HATES sports or is depressed or what ever! That's why I want to ask for the communities response on this topic.

There will be some prizes!

I would like to ask each one of you for reasons why you don't do sports (a lot?) or what would be a MUST for you to go training. Also there will be one larger prize for the best concept sent in for a sports lesson you would like to see.

MAIN PRIZE: 10 credits for the best full concept that you would 100% participate in.(VOTES LATER ON)

Prize one: 10,000$ per reason why you would't participate in a group lesson

Prize two: 10,000$ per reason why you would participate in a group lesson

Prize three: 25,000$ per 'one-liner' concept for a lesson (BRAINSTORM)

(max. 500,000 per mobster)

I hope that all of you take a few minutes to think about this and reply honestly.

AdmiralAckbar

Report Post Tip
Well lets see I was into sports for fun when younger then after a car crash and lots of broken bones I have found it hard to find anything I can do that does not coss me pain, so finding something that works with my limits is tricky. I have had ideas for sports in the past so I do my best to try and find ways. In the end with broken bones in my foot, leg, arm, jaw, and skull finding a sport to play is never easy
Report Post Tip

Honestly I think it differs per person, for me the second something gets turned into a competition I am extremely motivated. Or when I set myself a reasonable yet difficult goal for an event I have something to work towards too. Example, currently I picked up running again and am working towards a run event in October where I plan not only to just participate but also beat my brother (who is Mr. Sportsfreak himself).  For me that motivates. If you're really looking into what motivates people I think you should go for a psychological approach, there's plenty of people who shake their head at me for my competitiveness and don't understand it....

Here's the thing though, motivation on it's own is where I would focus on. Managers spend hours, days, weeks if not months to learn how to motivate and keep their employees motivated. Why do you work? Is the financial reward the only reason? Or are there more rewards you can gain from working? For me it's taking part in difficult challenges, figuring things out, getting a well ment compliment. For other status is a very common one... whats one of the first questions you ask someone you've just met? "What do you do for a living?". A lot of people take specific jobs not just for money but for the status that comes with etc....

So what are the gains from working out, other than some of the obvious ? And is there a relation towards all these different rewards and the type of people or maybe the method to keep the motivation?

You might even wanne take this to the procrastinating types... I myself am the type adrenaline seeker (crisis maker) and when I read back the style + tips... it makes total sense to apply it to my sport behavior too... More info: http://addicted2success.com/success-advice/the-6-different-types-of-procrastinators-find-your-type-well-show-you-how-to-fix-it/

What you could do is perhaps just like the procrastinating types, develop sport types and work out what are tips and tricks for these people to keep motivated?

TLDR: What does sport "pay" (reward)? - What type of "sporter" are you quiz - Tips and tricks.

Report Post Tip

Saint, bowling is still an option right? :)

Report Post Tip
Not really with my one hand wrist and arm being held together by plates and screws makes it tricky to hold a ball even in my other hand I did try. The only way to do so is with a ball way to light.
Report Post Tip

Swimming :D

Report Post Tip
Was that an idea or suggestion zebra, just asking
Report Post Tip
Generally speaking, I'm quite active and like to keep myself in shape, but like most, I go through lazy phases... especially when I'm feeling tired or bored.

Being quite child-minded myself, I find fun is essential to keep me interested in training. Playing games, challenges or competitions help keep me interested in the more mundane cardio-type exercise... just anything competitive to distract me from the fact that fitness is like homework; essential, but boring.

However, weights, core and strength & conditioning training are their own reward, IMO. Surely everyone loves putting a coupla new plates on the bar and managing to lift it!? That's the motivation that keeps me going in that respect anyway.

Also - swimming is great for injuries. Water supports the injured area and only provides as much resistance as the swimmer can exert. It's why physios suggest swimming as a type of rehabilitation for a whole host of injuries.

Personally, I'd probably say using a swimming pool flume would be something that I would *definitely* get involved in to improve general fitness if I was unenthusiastic. Getting in and out of the water, climbing the stairs and just generally swimming around are all great cardio and a number of different muscle groups are used without a conscious effort being exerted.
Report Post Tip

Checks over her shoulder....nope no one there....

Wow!!  Rorschach just basically touched on a lot of what Admiral and I were discussing earlier.....He summed it up I believe way better than I could have, but I am going to have a go anyways :D  (forgive me for rambling as I try to recall what all was discussed earlier)

Getting involved in exercising or sports for myself needs to involve some kind of fun....otherwise it is boring and a struggle to even want to convince myself "I NEED THIS" ....how many times do we just say "Tomorrow I will begin" or "I cannot start in the middle of the week"

Working out with a partner or group to me personally is more beneficial and definitely more motivational and inspiring, because you can share your experiences and encourage each other.  How many times while running did I tell my sister, "Come on we can do it, just one more mile today!  Just a little bit further!!"  Also when the results were not going as fast as we liked them to, well we had each other to say out loud, "Don't give up, next week will be better!!"   One week I was strong and the next she was strong and encouraging me right back.

Competition to me is good to have, AS LONG AS it is for fun, not "I am gonna beat you down if I don't win!"  kind of attitude.  Friendly competition makes the exercising or sports more enjoyable, making me want to participate.  Losing is fine just do it with a laugh. 

Participating in group sports or workouts to me builds up my interest in having a longer lasting enthusiasm to getting my lazy self off the sofa or chair than if I was to try to workout alone.  Who would rather play basketball alone all the time, of course it is more fun to play with a group.  Well the same can be said of exercising, who wants to workout alone.  Yes bragging how many more weight lifting thingies you can add to the bar, and saying "Look I can do it, can you."  There the back and forth competition begins, but you focus on the fun not just that "Hey! We are actually working out hardcore right now."

Finding what sport or workout interests you the most also factors in.  I would not play football or soccer because me personally I do not wanna be tackled!!  Lolz~   Baseball, volleyball and swimming interest me more, so I would find more ways to incorporate workouts using something enjoyable to me.  Swimming I have heard uses ALL the muscles, and is a great workout, but when I go swimming I don't think about that I just have fun.

(I am sure I left something out ....haha always next post )    :P

Report Post Tip

Hmm... Was gonna say spike the free coffee with a couple grams of meth lol. Trust me. But seeing as you more than likely run a respectable business I'd expect that to not be a viable option. Might you consider making the classes go by weight class. Like boxing. Feather weight, welterweight heavyweight, etc etc. People would feel more comfortable and likely to go if they knew they'd be with other people their own size and not standing next to rico suave 160lb of lean chisseled man meat.

Football and Baseball isn't too shabby either and big boys are known to be able to put an asswhooping on those base balls. Rugby? I can't think of anything new that would be "enticing" to big lazy fucks

Tbh, there is literally nothing you can really do to get them off that couch. It's a decision they personally have to make and come to terms with. Stay on the couch, stay unhealthy and have my health deteriorate until it eventually becomes my own demise? Or, go to the gym? And most will just continue to sit on that couch because they either lack the "drive" or just flat-out don't give a shit.

Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance :(

Report Post Tip
I feel like themes are the answer to this. I am extremely active and focus on bodybuilding more than just overall fitness. I enjoy what the strength and endurance training is capable of. However, the target groups to focus this on are people that have never thought about working out, and people that think they might want to start. There are different stages to this thought process when it comes to fitness. Pre-contemplation, Contemplation, Preparation, Action, and Maintenance. The first two are the ones to focus on.

I am also thinking with this title, you want to get people stuck to their computers or T.V.'s to get out. A themed based exercise that mimics a game they like to play. For example, QUIDDITCH. I love Harry Potter and there is an actual game with rules and scoring system that mimics soccer. Except its Harry Potter themed.

Another game would be paintball, laser tag, or pretty much anything war themed. Set people loose in the woods or get some inflatables and have an all out war. Ive been paintballing and it was a good amount of cardio.

Another theme could be Call of Duty themed objective goals. Where the participants must overcome certain physical obstacles possibly comparing to military training. Crawling for certain distances, having to use teamwork to move objects, and Im sure Google has more training techniques the military uses. General things though Im sure, but these people that are participating are probably not very physically fit. You dont want to give someone too much to handle their first few times.

Im sure I could continue on with themes of Video Games or Fandom, but my point is play a game themed around the common interests of the participants you have. If you dont have much of a budget, imagination can go a long way. Just make it fun so that they would want to do it again, and eventually start exercising WITHOUT the themes. Have them still come back to them though even after they begin going to a gym facility.
Report Post Tip

I am happy to see so many reactions to this post so far. At the time I am letting it sink in to create a general vision and trying to link some dots in my head. I hope more and more mobsters join in on this topic, it really helps me out and brings people together.

Thanks already,

AdmiralAckbar

<3 

Report Post Tip

Tbh, there is literally nothing you can really do to get them off that couch. It's a decision they personally have to make and come to terms with. Stay on the couch, stay unhealthy and have my health deteriorate until it eventually becomes my own demise? Or, go to the gym? And most will just continue to sit on that couch because they either lack the "drive" or just flat-out don't give a shit.

Actually I do not agree with this 100%  :(

I have been on both sides, being the motivator and the one needing the motivation.  To hear someone say there is Nothing you can do to get someone off the couch, which a lot of people say this all the time, because I have heard it countless times, but I disagree.

Encouragement and inspiration is what helps, not ridicule nor judgment that the world likes to pass on people.  If you are not one of the persons that lift weights or are a exercise fanatic, then the world views you as lazy and writes you off with comments of negativity.

Instead of tossing out negative views, the world needs to motivate.  We ALL need motivation somewhere, whether it is to go to work (gotta pay those bills and buy food), to exercising (to be healthier and live longer), to anything really. 

Lifting weights....okay WHY do you lift weights and build up muscles?  I can only go by what I am told by people near me, that it feels good to be strong, lift so many x numbers of pounds, makes you feel energized, feels good to out lift your brother or friends or coworkers, gives you bragging rights, boosting your ego some, and most importantly keeps your body toned and fit.

For those people out there to say "they are lazy and won't get off the couch," you cannot really speak for someone else, or how they feel, or WHY they do not get off that couch.  You can only assume that they won't work out like you choose to, and therefore they are lazy.  So because I choose to not put in xx hours a week lifting weights (or whatever exercise), I will be written off as lazy in the person's eyes who does that amount of workouts or more.  To me that is unfair and judgmental.  Whether that is how people mean to portray themselves or not, just because someone lacks motivation to get off the couch for the first time, or the first time again after giving up, well my opinion is to encourage and inspire not to criticize or judge. 

I know this is gonna be way off topic, so I apologize ahead of time.  I do very well with Math and English (even though my typing reflects otherwise at times lol), and in my mind someone who cannot comprehend the basics of Math, I just don't understand what the problem is because to ME, it is simple Math, BUT I do NOT go to them and say, "Hey you are stupid because you do not understand Math as easily as I do!" or "You are just too lazy to learn!"  Instead I talk to them, and ask what the issue is, and do my best to explain HOW to work the problem to where it is easy for them as well.

Finding out WHY the person you know is not motivated by talking to them, and asking WHY they will not get off the couch, might go a lot further in helping them to actually get off the couch.  Yes everyone needs to have willpower and make up their own minds to get their ass off the couch, but WHY would I even bother when I feel like no matter what I do it isn't good enough, or that I am not doing a good enough job, or someone rolls their eyes or laughs because starting out it indeed rough against their expert training.

Say you are the person who used to be on the couch.  SOMETHING or SOMEONE had to motivate you.  It honestly does not matter what or how small or how big, but something or someone did motivate you to move off the couch.

I do not wish to offend nor attack any one person, this is just my opinion and not targeted to anyone here.  :)  <3

Report Post Tip

Glad to see I'm not the only one who hates the obese

Report Post Tip

Clears her throat to get back to the main point and objective of this thread for those who would like to still post ....

Okay the purpose of THIS thread was to TO MOTIVATE ALL PEOPLE not target ONE specific group....regardless if you have never worked out or played sports this was to find out WHY people did not seem interested in sports or exercise and what their opinions were so Admiral could design a program to encourage those who were not motivated...and it was inspired by comments regarding sports and the desire by someone to help others

Who in the HELL said it is only 'obese' people who needs motivation to get themselves off the couch....maybe there are some of us who need motivation regardless of weight....oh that's right!! ALL 'non-obese' people are physically fit and need NO exercise....got it!! Well then no need for all the muscle builders to keep on working out to STAY fit because apparently since they are not obese they can go sit on the couch

Well for those who wanted to keep posting and offer ideas before stupidity was introduced into a thread meant to encourage and offer ideas of help....please feel free to post Admiral really would like to see more opinions :)

Also....for anyone who likes to joke or tease those who are obese and hate on them....well at least there is someone here who tries to help them and motivate....and for those of us who prefer to encourage not degrade we can take comfort in knowing that there is a cure for obesity through exercise and encouragement and motivation.....I am almost sorry to say that there is no cure yet for stupidity~

Okay let us carry on with the helpful opinions for Admiral .....thank you!!

Report Post Tip

@Zebra

Procrastination is a common problem that most people have to contend with every day. In layman’s terms, procrastination is the delay of taking action on a certain task or activity. More info: http://writersopt.com/types-of-procrastination/

Report Post Tip

Why wouldn't I participate in a group lesson?

I like working out alone. It gives me time to focus working out, think clearly and review what has happened during the whole day. With work and family, I guess it's the only time of the day where I can be by myself.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Gamer + Sports = ? (contest)
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL