Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 02:50:50
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
The retirement obituary thread Started by: Thugsy_Brown on Feb 11, '09 23:33
It seems a little weird when a character retires but the thread refers to them as the recently deceased and has us all gather at their funeral. I don't know how my character should act (like the person died or like the person retired)

I can think of two possible solutions:

1)Eliminate the separate status of retirement. I don't really like this options because I think it is nice to have a way of ending their character's story without a grisly death.

2)Get a different block of text to be produced in the retirement threads. Maybe something about showing up to find their house empty with a note saying they are gone for good, or something like that.

What do you all think?
Report Post Tip
Not sure it would actually make the slightest bit of difference tbh.

It gets to the stage where the block text is totally bypassed anyway, so whether it's updated or not, the net result is the same thing, a temp thread to give some final parting words.

Can't see any 'benefit' to make it worth the time/effort to code in the change.
Report Post Tip
My thinking was that it is difficult to roleplay when basic facts like whether the person you are talking about is alive somewhere else or a body to throw flowers on are unclear.

Unless the R in RIP stands for retirement, there is some pretty clear confusion going on in some of these threads.

What about this solution:

3) The obituary opening post is changed so it is a lot more vague. That way, players, if they want to roleplay, can set the scene themselves. Also, we wouldn't have the same lady with the white rose crying her eyes out every time someone associated with the mafia dies or retires.
Report Post Tip
I think its alright how it is really, you can still tell who retired and who was killed
Report Post Tip
The problem with 'retirement' is that the person isn't really 'alive somewhere else'. As far as the game is concerned, they are dead. So trying to be so accurate in the RP is false, as not everything game related has a rl equivalent.

While 'technically' it is a valid point, given that each of the obits threads are so short in life span (very seldom would a thread last a full two days), it just doesn't strike me as really being an 'issue'. This combined with the fact that the block text is seldom even glanced at by the majority of users again leads me to believe that there would be no tangable benefit from such a change.
Report Post Tip
I think it would be more realistic when we retire if:

Right after a war, You would either get wounded or go to jail,

Then you would walk to your house and go up the stairs to your bedroom,

You would think about your life and how it would turn out if you kept

"The Life Of Crime" You layed in your bed for hours and finally made a decision,

You start packing your bags and begin to write a note that says:

" Hello friends, I am going to retire. I am leaving the life of crime forever.
" Of course I will miss all of you and you will miss me,
"But it is time for me to move on and leave the life of crime."

They should show that paragraph with the destination in their bed room.
Report Post Tip
Why?

What benefit does that provide?

We can see from the obits that the person retired, so how does changing a block of standard text in a thread that will last less than 2 days provide any benefit to gameplay?

I'm not saying it shouldn't be done.... technically it is correct... I just can't for the life of me see why it should be done.
Report Post Tip
if you retire you get killed by your family.

thats why theres a funeral.
Report Post Tip
Farsaken, you go back to were ever you came from. Your family does'nt kill you...

The retirement thing works but of course I would'nt suggest using it.
Report Post Tip
have you ever "Retired"

it says "a men crept into your house at night" or something like that in the RP.
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: The retirement obituary thread
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL