Get Timers Now!
X

May 04 - 10:55:47
Page:  1 
The broken gallon of milk. Started by: Squishy on Feb 13, '09 00:32
As a little kid, I grew up in a town called Levittown in Pennsylvania. Our particular section of the neighborhood had a 7-11 about a half a mile away. When my mother needed something from 7-11, she would send me. Milk, Eggs, Bread, Slurpee, Smokes, whatever. I used to go to this 7-11 about 2-3 times a week, every week, for most of my childhood so they knew me pretty well. This one particular time she sent me up to get a gallon of milk. I purchase the gallon of milk and as I am leaving, somehow I drop it. The plastic broke open and a the gallon of milk quickly ran down the parking lot. Realizing I now lost it, and don't have the money to buy another gallon, and mom will probably be a little pissed off, I get very upset. The lady in the 7-11 who worked there, got another gallon of milk, and brought it out to me, no charge.

Would every employee do that? No. Was it a nice thing to do? Yes. Was it expected? No.

So when someone goes out of their way to help someone and do what seems like the right thing to do - don't go for their throat and then bring up every other time you've been wronged and bitch and complain that no one helped you.

This is what happened yesterday. Someone made a mistake, and the right thing to do was to fix it. Fixing it - resulted in the many people speaking up and complaining.

Almost every single one of you complaining in public and in private - I have at one time or another, gone out of my way to help you out. But when someone else gets helped out and it isn't you, all of a sudden it's a problem. I think many of you suffer from extreme schaedenfreud. When someone elses suffering is put to an end by someone compassionate, you suddenly turn your anger towards that person.

So the next time you see someone end up in a bad mess, think back to the times *you* have been helped out. Think of this before you go and turn your hatred towards others that are trying to help.
Report Post Tip
I know i have certainy been helped by you before when i was admin discharged for a wrong reason. So i know what it is like when you have been hard done by and it is good to see that you are willing to help people who have misfoutunes by rectify te mistake or at least easing it.
Report Post Tip
It feels like Casey Kasem should have been reading your story over the radio on America's Top 40 in between songs. I like Squishy, he's good people with the patience of a saint. I usually make fun of him regarding that, but if you didn't have him I'm pretty sure we'd all be fighting for the conch.
Report Post Tip
I believe I can shed a little light on why there may have been some moaning, or least.. Grumbling on my part.

Nobody can deny that probably 90% of folk here have been helped one way or another, I know I certainly was back in June (or whenever Jonnie_reese rogued) as I went to you directly (to confirm what silliness I committed) after I killed myself by mistake.

Really, from what others have said to me and what I had a gripe with was that I was told that shooting myself while trying for an IA was absolutely no grounds for reason to be revived. Now, don't get me wrong, I do not want this to turn into a slagging match because I have no problems with the person this concerns, he is a good guy.

Just understand that there are at least 2 other people that I know of that did the exact same thing.. And while I thanked you for doing what you did for me, being told "sorry but here are some stats for your next account" didn't equate to having my 2 month old (or whatever it was) account being given back to me.
Report Post Tip
I presume this is referring to the revival of someone that shot themselves? Apologies if it's not.

If it is, then it's easy to see why people are disgruntled. Why on earth should someone be revived after shooting themselves? It's happened in the past, at Consigliere rank too, and people haven't been revived. Why has the stance changed? Or is it down to who asks for the revival?

Yes, they made a mistake, but it was an in-game mistake. There should be no intervention. If they'd made the 'mistake' of killing another CL, would you rectify that also? Or would you let it play out in-game exactly as it should?

There are certain times where the game needs to be left to run a course without admin intervention, and this is one of them. There was no bug, no screwy game code, just in-game human error that should be left in-game.

Dress it up as you will, but reviving this account was plain wrong. More so given the fact that a precedent has already been set when others had shot themselves. This now just looks like double standards.

The fact that you do undoubted sterling work on MR and have helped many others in their time of need is irrelevant to the isolated instance we're talking about.
Report Post Tip
heres how simple it is, if you dont want people shooting themselves in the face take the ability to do it out.
Report Post Tip

heres how simple it is, if you dont want people shooting themselves in the face take the ability to do it out.

Reply by: CaptainWho-err

We did yesterday (somewhat)

You can only shoot yourself by copy/pasting your own name and then hitting wack. No longer can you hit Alive to have it prefill your own name.
Report Post Tip

Ummmm... You are holding the gun the wrong direction dipshit.

ROFL - that really brightened my day. A very nice counterpoint to displace the agony of listening to people whine.

THanks Squish!

(Bump bump, bump in the night?)
Report Post Tip
Haha that's excellent, nice addition Izzy. I wonder where my old 'Game Message' thread ran off to, I think i have every single message in there, except the new(er) ones
Report Post Tip
I was unaware of the incident in question and so can't really comment however, I tend not to question the admins in the game, I think that as a userbase, we take the interaction we have with the creators too likely.

Anyway, all this thread does for me is remind me Clause shot himself in the face at Consig!
Report Post Tip
The_Jedi.. that is sorta the point I was trying to make above ^ :)
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: The broken gallon of milk.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL