Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 16:30:42
Page:  1 
What is Easy and What is Right Started by: Oliver_McTavish on Oct 25, '07 18:55
How do you choose between what is right, and what is easy?

It is the question that haunted my restless sleep last night. Yes, I realize that we are in the Mafia. Our lives, let alone our choices, are not going to be a fucking cake walk. Every day we are faced with questions that need to be answered and demands that need to be met. And yet... there comes that one moment- that crossroads, if you will- where you have to make a decision that can and will inevitably affect your entire future in our world. A problem that can either make or break you as a Mafioso. The pressure will be overwhelming, and in a lot of instances you will not have enough time to carefully weigh your choices. Call it the heat of the moment, if you will- but there will come a time in your life where you have to stand at a firm decision, and fast.

So... what do you choose? What is right, or what is easy?

Do you throw aside all of your doubts- stick to your morals- stand by your word- and do what is right? Do you hold your head up high and proud and fiercely defend the better cause or the greater good? Often times, as my family line has found in the past, this is the harder of the two options to pick. The future beyond this choice will seem hazy, uncertain. You may be scared to death at the prospect of even thinking of picking this route.

Or... do you go with what is easy? Often times it is called the walk of a coward, one who hides in shame. Your conscious will warn you that it is not the right decision. It will never sit right with every bone in your body. Yet- the future is so much easier to see- to attain at the end of this tunnel.

I myself had come to my own crossroads last night. The alliances I had made over the past few weeks were finally called into effect. All at once they were going to war with one another and I was forced to come to a decision. Which side did I take? Should I choose what was bound to be right- or what was blindingly easy?

All of that is in the past, of course. In the end I came to my conclusion. I took the path that I did, and from there I will go on to reap the benefits, or (as it is looking more and more by the hour) suffer the consequences of my actions. Yes, I do wonder what would have happened had I gone the other way. I could have been a hero in someone's eyes. I could have been a failure in someone else's perspective. I could have lost my family, I could have died. As it was, I lost something that hurt much more than I could have ever bargained it would. No, I'm not looking for sympathy. Just giving an example of what can happen if your decision is not made with haste.

What I want to know from you, fellow men and women of the mob, is what will you do? When your defining moment comes to call, will you be prepared? Will your decision be made without regrets? And furthermore... will you choose what is easy, or what is right?
Report Post Tip
We should never regret what we have done, but the ways we did it.
Report Post Tip
Being put in such a predicament is a no-win situation. Indeed, being a Boss is often a no-win situation. You end up either being vilified for protecting your interests, or being dead.

There was no right or wrong choice for you. When facing such decisions, you don't worry about what is "right". Fuck what's right. "Easy" should also only be considered in regards to whether or not it is possible. Never try to pull off the impossible. It isn't in you or your family's best interests, and that's what all decisions boil down to.

Don't worry about right, wrong, easy, or hard. Let go of your emotions and do what is smart.
Report Post Tip
Well Oliver...

I remember a time where my father was placed in such a situation.He learned the hard way that no matter what descision you make someone is not gonna be happy. The problem with this thing of ours is that we all tend to become friends. Form friendly alliances. At one point or another you have to choose what side you will be on. It is inevitable as mafioso's. Tho if I was in a simular situation I would follow my heart and what it told me.Sure I may lose friends in the bonds I forged, But if there children are not able to let it go....Was that bond really worth it?

As a Crew Leader you must make choices that you feel will better your family. Looking out for number one which in events means if your safe, your family is. We have to make descisions everyday in our world,Just sometimes its harder to make them then it was the day before.

You did what you felt was right at the moment. Don't let it torture you.
Report Post Tip
Personally speaking, and I know that this kind of honesty is not "en vogue" at the moment but c'est la vie, I will go with my friends. I won't ever get into a position of power. I very much doubt I shall rank at all. I almost certainly won't be training up any offensive skills. So whatever decisions I am liable to face really aren't going to be very important.

That said, the sole draw of this world, this life, whatever you wish to call it, is the friends I have made, and will make along the way.

Yes, we all know the counter arguements. Yes, they are probably "right", and certainly better argued than mine - but, for me, those relationships ARE the core of our world, they ARE the draw, they ARE the hook that keeps my bloodline returning. I won't deny all of that and pretend to be something I'm not.
Report Post Tip
~Puck chuckled, a topic which he could explore and put his mind to. God how he enjoyed it~

Are we not told when growing up to always do the right thing? I certainly was, and it's something I try to do at each conflicting junction I meet. Doing the right thing is sometimes daunting, too daunting to attempt at times, which is why many people fall into doing the easy thing. It takes a strong character to pick the right option.

Of course, the right option to take depends entirely upon which side of the fence you're on, which party belong to, who benefits and who suffers from your choice. Ones right decision is anothers wrong decision and either can be the easy choice for the outsiders who know little about the torments of making one at all!

Another thing I was told as a kid, always stand by your decision. If your gut instinct tells you it's the right thing to do, do it. Don't hold back.

I can't be bothered refering to examples in my history, nor events of recent times. What's done is done - another brilliant part of the whole thing. You can't change your decision, only accept what's done and move on to correct the damage if you now feel it was the wrong one to take, or to move ahead from taking the right one.

...doesn't it always come down to personal opinions though? Everyone has one.

What will I do when I have tough decisions to make? Can't say. Choices like that are what makes or breaks a man or woman. We can only see how we deal with the situation when it arrises, but I'd like to think I'd try to do the right thing.
Report Post Tip
Despite Mr. McGoof's thoughts, I believe you have to do what is right.

Clearly what's right is subjective, therefore you have to do what is right for you. Too many times we have men and women wanting to be leaders in this world, and yet, when it comes to leading, they fail.

It's an honor to run your own family, but, as you've said, this is the mafia. This is family. This is a business. There's going to be tough choices to make, and nobody will get it right everytime. Keeping all that in mind, decisions must be made based upon that knowledge, not based upon friendships (whether personal, coffeeshop, etc.).

You proved last night that you are a more than capable leader. You showed that in the face of adversity, you could wade through the guilt trips and live up to your commitments. This is what this world needs. Do what is right and any true friends that disagree with your actions will still be your friends after you've chosen a different path. Otherwise, be very wary of those that call themselves "friend", as if they are only your pal if you do what they want, I'd say that they are only using you, and aren't a true friend at all.
Report Post Tip
I think the route I would pick is the Right Route.

It's so easy to choose the other one, hence you calling it the "easy" route. And a lot of the time, no guts is needed to take it, and you probably won't be liked just for taking the easy way out of a dilemma.

The right route is tough, yes, but the best thing to do I would say. It takes guts, and confidence, people need to have a little guts and confidence to get by in life. They wouldn't be able to make their own decisions without them.

So yeah, overall, the right was is definitely the...right...route to choose. In almost every circumstance. Of course, there will be those circumstances where the right route is too hard to encounter, and you might consider another route, a route were you sit tight, and see what happens, before you make your decision.

That's just what I think though.
Report Post Tip
I've found that morals always just get in the way. We've got enough problems without our stupid conscience nagging us all the time, right? Am I right? I mean, it never shuts up about "You can't sell heroin to a four year old," or "Dont pick up that prostitute, she looks like your sister," or "Yep, she's definitely your sister. Pull out now," or "Alright, you made a mistake, but you're a man. Stick around and raise your brother-son."

SHUT UP, CONSCIENCE!

That's why I decided to kill my conscience. It seems to be allergic to booze. Now, repeat after me:

"Not now, son, daddy's gotta go vomit."
Report Post Tip
Mr.McTavish i would like to know how you define the "right" thing...

To me right is to do whatever my heart tells me to do.

My word?

I always keep my word, but my word that i give to my friends.

I would lie easily to an enemy, just to lead him to a trap.

Now some people, they dont mind that after their death, people will remember them as "Fair" or "Decent", if they still remeber them, thats enough.

Besides, being bad in life is a role that someone has to play.

As for your choises in the war, we can judge as we see from the result, you are still alive Mr.McTavish so you did the right thing.
Report Post Tip
I've done it before. I'll always do it. I never choose the easy path because it is easy. I try my best to always stick true to what I believe.
Report Post Tip
So, did you do what was easy or what was right?

I'm intrigued.
Report Post Tip
Who me?

Well, she was easy, and it felt right at the time.
Report Post Tip
I just need closure on this story!

did you do easy or right?

somehow I think I know.

such a shame.
Report Post Tip
It doesn't matter what McTavish did. His family is still alive and he did what he could to protect them, and that is what matters.

Alliances are tricky and are always in place until a newer, better offer comes along. Forming multiple alliances will always see your interests pulled in multiple directions and no one will be satisfied with the decision of neutrality, including you.

My family line has often struggled with similar questions of morals, but in the end it's come down to this being the Mafia. What I do must always be what is best for my family and my boss. I know not to worry beyond that. What matters is family and as long as you do what is best for them, you're right.
Report Post Tip
I disagree,

The title of the flyer mentions a tugging of the heart strings.

S/he did right? Does s/he believe that him/herself?

I'd just like to know what conclusion the narrator came to. You can't leave an audience dangling like this, its worse than casablanca!
Report Post Tip
Right, wrong, it's all a matter of perspective. For every person saying something was right, there'll be another that feels it was wrong.

It all comes down to survival in the end. History is written by the winners, it always has been, and it always will be.

With a decent spin-doctor, anything can be explained away as the right thing to do, and the opposite is true of your opposition, no matter how whiter-than-white they are, with the right PR you can make them out to be baby-killing fiends.

Who is to really say what was the right thing to do? The only thing we can say is that something was done, and we will all have to live with the consequences of those actions, good or bad.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: What is Easy and What is Right
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL