Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 14:33:22
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
The Outside Forum Must Be Destroyed Started by: MacLeod on Feb 16, '09 19:19
The outside forum adds nothing to this world. While there may be a rare worthwhile conversation taking place, the vast majority of topics/posts in there are total crap. It artificially inflates post counts with meaningless garbage. Again, they add nothing... absolutely nothing... to this world. The line between actual post and spam is so blurred there that I imagine admins generally throw up their hands in surrender than actually try to manage the insanity and inanity of this forum.

Easy solution: Get rid of it.

There's nothing worthwhile there that can't either be reworked into a street post or dealt with in MM/IRC. If there is something very important that needs to be said and it is out of character it can go in the OOC forum.

Less work for the admins. Less public stupidity. Posts mean more. No downside.

Time to take out the garbage!
Report Post Tip
So you are suggesting that we can only talk about the game...
Report Post Tip
OOC- Out of character, obviously that means we can talk about things that aren't game related
Report Post Tip
OOC- Out of character, obviously that means we can talk about things that aren't game related
Report Post Tip
I saw many threads in there that had to do with the game. I've seen a few role playing ones in there also, so we usually use the outside forum to talk about other stuff.
Report Post Tip
Not necessarily. The OOC forum could be slightly expanded, I suppose, to include things that aren't automatically game-related. Although they should still matter to some extent. Though, personally, I don't think it has to expand at all.

I think the game should be about the game.

I think if you want to chat about music or movies or any other "OMG I'M BORED"/Current Event topic then it can easily be handled through mobmail. Or Irc. And there are literally millions of other places on the internet for that sort of thing. It's not needed here- it's taking away from the game.
Report Post Tip
If it is someting like that, then why would you make a thread about it, nobody is going to read it anyway. If you look in the help forum, there is'nt that many threads saying suff like "Wow I'm Bored". If there was threads like that, nobody will bother reading them.
Report Post Tip
O my God, you're right. "OMG I'M BORED" is not a direct quote.

Allow me to rephrase then. It is very rare to find a thread in the outside forum that someone actually worked on. Or a post that someone actually worked on.

Like that "what are your hobies" thread you just posted in. The Rhodes scholar in question obviously spent approximately 15 seconds and 0 thought producing the thread. The replying posts... probably the same 15 seconds.

Yes, your list is longer. That doesn't make it better.

The thread adds nothing.

Also, the Outside Forum actively rapes the English language at every opportunity, which I also hate.
Report Post Tip
Mcleod,

if you do not like the Occ posts then don't read them. A lot of the people on this site have been playing not only this game but others with each other for quite a while, sometimes the Occ is a great way for us to bring conversations on outside sites here and such. What's wrong with getting to know the others outside of the game? I do not know if it is still this way but there was a time when posts in Occ didn't help your stats to the extent of a post in the streets.
Report Post Tip
Generally I don't read them since my eyes start bleeding. But I have an unfortunate urge to try to improve the world. I'm very glad that people are socializing. Networking is certainly a huge part of the game.

What do you mean by "to bring conversations on outside sites here and such"? What outside sites? What conversations?

There is nothing wrong with getting to know other people outside of the game. But formulating 6 word responses to unthinking threads about random topics tells you nothing about no one. Getting into an honest to God conversation with people through mobmail or irc does that. Many leaders have a thread in the HQ forum for people to meet each other OOC. This is more than sufficient.

I hope that outside posts don't count towards stats. Or we'll be seeing another Godmother soon based on them. Or two.
Report Post Tip
The outside forum was created when the game related discussions that were not in character were overcome by "wut iz ur fav band" threads.

OOC is for Out of Character game related discussion. Including announcements by administration that involve discussions with the community about current features or plans for future features. It was expanded to include discussions about the Mafia and the culture our game is supposed to replicate.

Outside is an open forum about anything and everything.

They were separated to make it easier to sort game and non game discussions a nd encourage more game discussions than trash.

If you don't like the Outside forum, don't look there. No one is forcing you to.
Report Post Tip
I believe I understand the impetus behind the creation of the Outside forum.

To separate the OOC discussions that were actually relevant (as you said, annoucements, game discussions, etc... all undeniably important) from the OOC discussions that were not relevant. Trash, as I believe you so exquisitely put it.

My proposition is to take your concept to its logical conclusion. We've now managed to separate the good from the bad, since all the trash has been relegated to the outside forum. So now that it's contained... lets get rid of it. It doesn't need to exist.

And as for the "If you don't like it, don't look there"... I agree, to some extent. I rarely venture to the Outside forum. I tried it once or twice and got this strange, icky, spammy feeling. Then I tried to help people spell a word better, which of course failed miserably. But it did lead me to one important conclusion. Instead of fighting the symptoms, I am now going after the source. Its purpose can be adequately served through other channels, so it in itself is not necessary. Its very existence reinforces and teaches the bad habits of creating threads that lack effort, thought, and originality.

I know I'm not being forced to look there. I'm not into sadomasochism. But since this is the suggestion thread, I'm not discussing my personal preferences- I'm making a genuine suggestion on how to improve the world.
Report Post Tip
Would this be an acceptable compromise:

The Outside forum stays, allowing us to tell each other how awesome our days are going and how totally f'in SWEET it is that Blink is back together, but posting in the forum no longer counts towards your total - it basically becomes a back alley thread.

This eliminate post whores trying to manipulate their numbers (at least in this manner) and still lets completely pointless conversations thrive, because if I don't know what my crew's favorite drinks are, I'm clearly failing at my position. :/

I think it should be nuked too, but apparently just have too many Blink fans around here...
Report Post Tip
I will continue to proclaim "Outside Forum delenda est". But removing points from Outside posts would certainly be a move in the right direction.
Report Post Tip
Getting rid of the Outside Forum would send the message that bullshit is totally unacceptable here. Which might be nice. But now I'm in pipedream land, so I'll stick with the compromise below.

If outside posts don't count for points or show up on counters, then I would certainly not protest the continued existence of the Outside Forum. The fact that it serves as a bullshit-magnet certainly makes life easier for the wonderful admins that volunteer their time to help this world.

I don't believe that outside points currently give points. Which is grand. The counters, however, are certainly affected. And in a world where people's counters can be used a measurement of aptitude, it's important that these numbers can't be buoyed by the trash. At the very least, this should be fixed.
Report Post Tip
I see what your talking about, maybe any thread that has stuff like that in it should'nt be replied to, so people won't be going around spelling everything incorrectly. I still think that the outside forum should be there, maybe threads like that should just be ignored, and if they really want to get their posts up they'll just keep making them. So maybe the outside forum should be checked once in a while to find stuff like that, and if there is a thread like that, it should just be deleted.
Report Post Tip
I get where your coming from but it is used for post which have nothing got to do with the game. You have to take that into account.
Report Post Tip
Just because it mightened have any use to you, doesnt maen it is useless. I agrree with you in some way beacues I dont use it much at all. but it might be useful to others.
Report Post Tip
It affects the game if it affects points/counters.

That is undeniable.

If it ceases to affect the points/counters, then I will float away the back of a rainbow to happy land. Or just go back to complaining about the lack of effort in most street posts.
Report Post Tip
Yes it does'nt have anything to do with the game in there, but making threads like that can really give you a headache. If it is something like "What is your favorite bad" or something like that, there's nothing wrong with it. But if you see something like "OMG what is your fav kind of dog??" it kind of makes you mad.
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: The Outside Forum Must Be Destroyed
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL