Get Timers Now!
X

May 05 - 14:07:47
Help
3 Watchers
Page:  1 
IRC Assistance Started by: BushWacked on Sep 15, '14 18:33

Maybe I haven't looked hard and deep enough to find one, but I can't seem to find any thread for IRC where one can come out ask a question and have someone come assist with the answer and a short little tutorial on how to do it. Seeing how the coffee shops are a part of this world of ours I think this would quite help get more people on there and would be a overall help to anyone and everyone who feels they could benefit from knowing a bit more. 

I do look forward to seeing people stop by here and drop a question or the how to for a question that has gone unanswered.

Report Post Tip

I'd like to start off with the following, questions:

• How does one register their 'nick' on IRC
  • How does one set up their own IRC room
Report Post Tip

Hi there.

We've had multiple people come into #Divinelunacy and ask such questions, they're usually answered near instantly and boom, done. There is a guide from an old game I use to play though I have in notepad for mIRC help. (Which applies to all IRC clients)

Registering your nick (NickServ) 

This is useful because then people cannot pretend to be you on IRC. Another thing is that this allows you to register your own channel, and to receive automatic Op/Halfop/Voice in different channels. 
1) To register your nick write /msg nickserv register Your-Own-Password E-mail Make a password that's not easy to guess, i.e., NO names, words. And put your email there. example: /msg nickserv register mortyisthebest(password) morty1337@gmail.com. 
2) Identifying with NS (nickserv) after you have registered your nickname (log into it), write /msg nickserv identify Your-Own-Password , Following the example above it would here be: /msg nickserv identify mortyisthebest

Report Post Tip

Type: /msg nickserv register YOURPASSWORD YOUREMAIL
(Example: /msg nickserv register chattingiscool julie@montreal.com)

and to setup your own room just type: /join #(insert room name here no brackets)

Report Post Tip

Thank you very much Morty :)

Report Post Tip

Also thank you too TwentyCharacterLimit :)

Report Post Tip

With setting up your own room does it auto join you every time you log on IRC? If not can you please share how to set it up to auto join.

Report Post Tip

You can do /ns ajoin add #room

The room must be registered however.

Report Post Tip

If you have the time could you please post the how to on registering a room, it'd be much appreciated.

Report Post Tip

It is honestly quite easy.

1) You need a registered nick. See above.

2) Join the room you wish to register. Example: #MortyIsTheBest

3)Type the following command : /msg chanserv REGISTER channel password description 

With that, the room will be registered and you'll have ownership. After you have ownership, you should invite a bot to your channel.

/bs assign #room BOTNAME

You can do /bs botlist to get the name of every bot on the mafiareturns server.

After that you can assign ops/sops etc to your friends/whatever that will join your room.

/cs sop #room add PersonsName - SOP is the & symbol. It is the highest rank besides Owner (~)

/cs aop #room add PersonsName - AOP is the @ symbol. It's a rank that can kick/ban/op others/etc.

/cs hop #room add personsname - hop is the % symbol. It can kick other hops and voices etc.

/cs vop #room add personsname - voice. it can talk in muted channels.

Report Post Tip

Thank you Morty for all your help, it was very much appreciated and I hope it also helps anyone else that wanders onto this thread for help.

Report Post Tip
And if you still need help, there's always #help, if ppl are online
Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: IRC Assistance
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL