Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 21:06:17
Page:  1 
Inspiring Loyalty Started by: DrRichardKimble on Oct 28, '07 12:57
A bearded doctor on the run from the police, in search of the ever elusive one-armed man, unaware that his best friend switched the samples, approaches the bedraggled masses with a slight hesitancy.

"It's not the smartest thing to come out here and speak when you're on the run from Tommy Lee Jones, but nevertheless I felt the need to speak. Why? Well out of curiosity really. I'm obviously innocent and by no means interested in a life of crime (I didn't kill my wife ftr) but yet I feel drawn to understanding you people.

"What I'm here is not to give a speech as such, but to ask a question. A question that I'm interested in hearing the answer to. This being as follows:

"What is it that truly inspires loyalty in you as a mafioso?

"My lineage is patchy at best with only a few having experienced the life of a mafioso. But through the years some of my various relatives have had the fortune to know some incredibly good leaders. Other relatives oppositely, having expressed their despair at being associated with cowards and reprobates. But my own personal experience is limited, except to see that there are a lot of jaded people around. People who merely go through the motions when it comes to joining a family. Others who hide under the protection of their leader with their own motives for a shot at power.

"But occasionally we do see leaders that can inspire even the most jaded of mafioso whose lineage may have lasted many many years. Leaders who command your attention, who can inspire both loyalty and extreme hatred in the same moment.

"What I ask is this. For YOU personally, what qualities does a leader have to have to turn your head? To inspire YOU as a member to work hard, and to fight for them? What is it in some leaders that keeps the siblings of a previously deceased search out that same person to follow in their parents' footsteps and to truly serve?

"Or have we lost forever the type of personality to invoke such a loyalty?

"Your answers please. And if any one has seen a one-armed man then please, information on a postcard to Dr Richard Kimble would be appreciated."
Report Post Tip
Takes a moment to let all the information sink in. Looks around the room to learn the surrounding. Grabs a nice refreshing glass of water. Clears his throat. And tell the Dr.

"Yep I saw the one-armed man right over here near this Dark Alley close to the Dumpster want to go have a look with me? I will show you exactly where I saw him. If that helps you at all I mean it is the least I could do."

:D
Report Post Tip
My bloodline has been around a very long time, and have worked with leaders admired greatly, and also those who were the best out of a number of poor options.

Ideally, I would look for someone who, first and foremost, understands how to do business. I burst a blood vessel in my brain every time I see a leader do something which is completely unlike the manner in which a Boss must conduct himself. There's been ALOT of that recently, but maybe now with a "rebirth" of sorts, things will change.

Next, I look for someone who doesn't hide from the public eye. A good Boss must be confident in his abilities, and meeting with other mafiosi in public is the best way to show that.

I also insist on working for a Boss I respect. In order to gain that respect, in addition to the other qualities I mentioned, that Boss must put family first and stand up to the other leaders when needed, but not foolishly so when greatly inferior in strength. There is nothing to be gained from suicide, after all.

Just to reiterate, the quality of greatest importance is knowledge of how this thing of ours works. If a leader isn't that experienced, rather than go with what they think is right, ask someone who has been there and done that. Better to admit you don't know everything than to do the wrong thing and end up looking like a fool.
Report Post Tip
I agree with Maxwell, I could only work for or with a Boss I can respect. Having said that though, respect is not loyalty. My family line always had respect for Anita, but...well, let's not go there.

So I respect a leader, I'm in their family now, but what's this? I learn that their goals and aims differ completely from man. Does that make me potentially less loyal? Well, contrary to popular belief, no. As long as a leader takes care of his own, and stands up for what he believes in; he has my loyalty and as a member, I am more loyal to him than anyone else.

To paraphrase Machiavelli, it's better to gain loyalty through fear, rather than love; at least if you can't have both. What do you think about that Richard, would you agree with that sentiment, or not so much?
Report Post Tip
"I think if anything, like you Templar, I find a leader who stands up for what they believe in to be what truly inspires my own loyalty. Those who 'flip-flop' and are changeable, I find to be deplorable as a leader, no matter whether I like their personality or not.

"I have seen mafiosi often confuse a family head's personality with their leadership skills. I may like someone very much, enjoy conversation with them (if they have time for it), but if they cannot lead, then I would rather not be in their family. Oppositely, I may dislike a leader's personality, but find myself willing to carry out their demands because of the quality of their leadership.

"Certain leaders have something about them, in the manner they speak, and the way they carry out their actions that demands loyalty from their members. Examples of this in the past have been SamTheAmericanEagle, UncleNicky and more recently SingWhenYourWinning (from what I saw), these being just a few names that come to mind though there have certainly been more. These sorts of leaders demand loyalty because they are decisive and the decisions they make are not only appropriate to the situation, but they are intelligent decisions. It may not always make them liked as people, but they carry that decision out nontheless.

The leaders that inspire loyalty in myself are sometimes mistaken for being arrogant. I don't believe it is arrogance though, it's a strength. A confidence in their abilities to choose what is right for their family.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Inspiring Loyalty
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL