Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 04:57:09
Page:  1 
Tattoos & You(s) - A Story Driven Discussion Started by: Phantom_Ghost on Mar 24, '09 03:44
Phantom_Ghost emerges from Mild Bill's Grill and Pub with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth. He's well dressed, but his suit coat is flung over his shoulder. He walks to the corner of the block, leans up against a broken light post, and strikes a match. The match lights up the immediate area around him, giving the illusion of a kind of safety the light overhead might bring, had it been on. His eyes shift from left to right as a puff of smoke from his newly lit cigarette fills the well lit area around his head. He swings the lit match downward and tosses it to the ground as it fizzles out in a puddle near the curb.

"Jesus." He speaks his first words to himself since he left the bar, and he takes his coat off his shoulder and puts it on.

As his left sleeve covers his wrist, he pushes it back up to look at the time. A quick glance and he shakes his head.

"Always fucking late." He mutters.

No sooner than the words left his lips, Dah_Kurlzz trudges up the subway stairs and into PG's view.

"You're late, let's lock up the HQ." Phantom snapped at Dah_Kurlzz. "Some night-life you lead." DK, reeking of rum snaps back quickly. "Just doin' some thinking is all." PG makes it clear they're done talking about it. "Let's just lock up and get home."

They continue to walk a few more blocks silently and DK pulls out a flask and begins sipping it before offering it to PG.

"Less thinkin', more drinkin', PG!" Dah_Kurlzz yells. "No." Comes the quick reply. "Crissakes man, at least tell me what you're thinking abo-" DK is cut off as a bottle hits the pavement between them.

With the streetlight above them out of commission, as many were, PG and DK near instantly brandish their pistols and point the business end in the direction of the throw. As the moonlight hits a metal object pointed their direction they unload two shots, one each, and the aggressor hits the ground with a thud.

"Shit man." DK whispers. People were already gathering.

Phantom and Kurlzz walk over to examine the body. Upon approaching, PG pockets the targets weapon and leans down.

"See? This is the kind of shit that makes me not take people seriously." Phantom points to the shaggy dressed man with a tattoo of Pooh Bear on his shoulder, and a naked lady on his forearm with the words "imma kill u" inscribed below it. "I'm not necessarily saying he made his mistake here because of his tattoos, or that his tattoos necessarily foreshadowed our experience here, but Christ."

PG quickly turns to the crowd gathered, most oblivious to who the murderer here was.

"I'll open this up to you guys, and put it simply:

Obviously, in this thing of ours, people are held accountable for their actions, and definitely their words. It's what ties us together and keeps us going- or cuts us apart and stops us short. Our words and actions are everything, but what about the dimension of this that we all often forget? Our appearance.

Something as simple as what is tattooed on us, or the business cards we carry around and hand out... (Our profile pictures and our quotes) Do they also have an effect on the way we're looked at?

A man with a tattoo of a futuristic cartoon "Spongebill Rectangleundies" - Automatically labeled as "just off the boat" with a side of "OOC-itis"?

A man with a tattoo of a half-naked woman, but still within the laws - Automatically labeled as a pervert?

A family tattoo that consists of a pair of breasts (OOC: Yep, I went there.) - Automatically labeled as unprofessional?

And what about the business cards?

How much of this affects the way you look at others? I've always been interested to know.

A few people look around at the other attendees of this unconventional "forum" for discussion before speaking...
Report Post Tip
DK examines the tattoo of the victim on the ground looking at the picture of the naked woman on his forearm.

I cant believe that people are being judged like this, it isn't even worth it, everyone is different. I mean look at my body art...

Kurlzz pulls off his shirt and reveals two tattoos; one on his right forearm, and another on the top of his back near his neck. His forearm tattoo has a heart that reveals a red heart that has a crack right down the middle, with a banner inside the heart stating the words "I will never forget you Taylor." The one around his neck simply states the words "Kurlzz and Kathy 4Ever."

What do they mean to other people? Well, I honestly don't give a damn. Why do I walk nearly everywhere with my pants half down? Does it matter to anybody? Well, it shouldn't. Even if people do care about the way you look, or the way you advertise, you cant get hung up on their comments. You have to keep on going. Through the good and the bad, If someone discriminates against you, just think to yourself, "Wow, Your'e a prick," and just move on.

DK puts his shirt back on, and continues to drown himself in a sea of rum flowing from his flask.
Report Post Tip
Correction in that, I meant to state that there is only one Red heart, not a heart inside of a heart.
Report Post Tip
As The_Messiah stands in the shadows of the crowd smoking a cigarette, he listens in on what his RHM, Phantom_Ghost, is speaking about. As PG finishes talking The_Messiah steps forward in front of the crowd with some input.

Everyone is accounted for their actions. You do something wrong, live with the consequences. If you do something good, don't always expect a reward, but know that you are on the right track.

The_Messiah takes a drag of his cigarette and peers down at the art that was on the victim's body.

Your very right PG, everyone in this world are judged upon either by what they say or how they look (profile). You create certain bonds and reflections on every person that you meet. Everyone is different and everyone should be excepted for who they are. It doesn't matter whether you have a tattoo of breasts with writing on them or half-naked woman tattooed on your body. Certain forms of art represent certain ways of how people are. If that's is how someone is, then let them be like that.

The_Messiah takes another drag off his cigarette and takes a swig out of DK's flask.

No one should be judged by their appearance or how they speak. Until you actually get to know that person, don't judge the book by it's cover. I am The_Messiah and I believe that everyone was created differently, but that is what makes up this world of ours. If everyone looked or talked in the same fashion, well then damnit life would be boring. These types of characteristics is what builds up humanity and people need to except that. That doesn't mean though that if your not in the best of moods to go around shooting or taking your anger out on whoever you want because that's who you are. Everyone should treat people the way they want to be treated.

I also agree with you DK on how you shouldn't care with what people think of you because of a few tattoos on your body or because you walk around with your pants down. If people do want to be judgmental about that kind of stuff, then your right let them, who really does give a damn, they sure shouldn't. If that is how you are, then God bless you my friend because you are being yourself and that is how people should be, instead of trying to possibly play several other fake roles. DK and PG you guys are great for sticking up in how you want to be.

The_Messiah takes another swig from the flask and flicks his cigarette on the ground next to the artsy victim. He pats PG on the back for the experienced words he spoke that made him think about this whole deal and then descended back into the shadows of the crowd with good thoughts.
Report Post Tip
After hearing what the honorable men had spoken,Bboy remembered an incident that happened not too long ago.Two men lost their lives.And they died because of having an offensive name.He can't remember if they have tatoos but their names guaranteed them an express ticket to their demise.This led Bboy to a conclusion that he would like to share...

I too once believed in the saying "Don't judge the book by it's cover."I even argued my point to my dear old grandmother.Then one day she gave me a chocolate cake.My mouth salivated,stomach grumbled,and my mind is filled with expectations of the delicious taste of chocolate.I took a huge bite and suddenly my delighted face began to frown.Then it turned hot red as my teeth sank on the red peppers that my grandmother had placed beneath the chocolate icings.It was then that I saw my Grandmother's point.I made a judgment based on the outside appearance of the cake.It may be a wrong judgment but judgment still it is.And weather we like it or not,people do judge us by our appearance.We apply for a job,we do our best to look smart and presentable simply because we want to make an impression and perhaps get hired for the job.

And I still can't believe my grandma would go thru all the hustle of baking a hot chilli pepper chocolate cake just to prove to me her point.

This is however my own opinion, and more experienced persons on this thing of ours may have a more better view on this subject.

Bboy steps aside to listen to other speakers.
Report Post Tip
Thank you for this enlightening speach, sirs, but I will take your word that the tattoos are on the body. Don't want my fingerprints on there as well.
Report Post Tip
JohnRourke,

You missed the point of this. :/
Report Post Tip
Oh no, I see it. Why do people have these stupid, sissy tattoos that don't even exist on their arms? I just threw that in as a joke. I apologize.
Report Post Tip
Kittie walks around the gathering crowd and peers down at the dead body, pondering the speeches she has just heard. Finally, she offers her lighter to a man with a cigarette and begins to speak.

While I normally don't judge a book by it's cover, metaphorically speaking or no, I also do take note of things and maybe have a different perspective as a woman. While I enjoy good ink on another person as much as the next girl, I also enjoy respect. To me, I find the family tattoo of a woman's breasts (and the accompanying text) to be in bad taste. But that doesn't mean I have made a judgement on the family or any of it's members, it's just personal preference.

While I don't think anyone should be judged solely on their looks, I do take all of those things into account as I encounter them.
Report Post Tip
Sao was patiently listening to his brother, Phantom_Ghost, speaking, and all of the replies he got to his question. When the voices were silent, he decided to speak his opinion.

Dear brother. I think, the tattoos, he then looks at the tattoos that cover his arms, that people tote around on their bodies mean little in most cases. It is more the actions, or lack thereof, that define the people of our world. I've seen some of the most respectable Mafiosi walking around with some of the most ridiculous tattoos.

They've earned their respect, not through their image, but through the choices the make, and the actions they take.

The business cards, are a bit of a different subject in my mind. Sometimes the business cards our Mafiosi carry and hand out can be more disrespectful than any of the tattoos people show.

Sao begins to lose his train of thought and begins getting frustrated with himself and just begins to walk about down the road.
Report Post Tip
Everyone is different, they have different likes and operate in their own way. Usually whatever is comfortable for them.

I've seen some of the most respectable Mafiosi walking around with some of the most ridiculous tattoos.

Exactly. A ridiculous tattoo doesn't disqualify that person from being a ruthless killer when need be or from having a strong business sense. As anyone who has tattoos knows, it's your body and it's your choice.

There have been many a Mafioso who's appearance may not be the best or considered respectable, but the person, not the appearance is what gains the respect of fellow Mobsters nation wide.

When someone comes to this country with no tattoos at all, and they begin making a reputation for theirselves, no matter how they do it, they gain respect. Then once they decide to get a foolish tattoo, does the respect go away? As opposed to someone who hopes off the boat already tattooed with the same foolish designs who has the same admiration for the same reputation?

Things change constantly, some adapt, some either can't, won't, or they don't see why they should.

I seen an interesting tattoo that was on a young mans forearm. It was a book, and underneath it in very creative script the words "Don't Judge Me By My Cover."
Report Post Tip
As my dear old granmother used to illustrate to me during our arguments regarding this matter,"If your looking for a dictionary you will most likely be looking for a book with the word DICTIONARY written on its cover."

Partial judgment as it may,still outward appearance have impact on how we impress others.Though I would still argue with my dear granny that final or complete judgment must still be based on the person's character.
Report Post Tip
After hearing what my leaders have said, taking side of the middle man; I have what may be offwnsive to some, funny to others, and just out right pointless to almost everyone else. As far as being judged, in this thing of ours you are constantly being watched. If you make one move publicly, although you may not think it is worth the seed of a lemon, someone will have an opinion to what you do.

and if my name is not offensive i am sure my punctuation is
Report Post Tip
Was there a point to this, I stood here listening and really am not sure if there was a point or just total confusion
Report Post Tip
Spongebobsquarepants,

Indeed there is. I would start by learning to read, and then reading the thread, followed by reading the replies.

If you need help learning English, I'd be glad to help.
Report Post Tip
I dont think he needs help anymore PG, I believe he is dead.
Report Post Tip
After passing by the funeral of SpongeBob and holding in laughter so as not to disturb the proceedings, Harvey takes a stroll into a discussion that, when he heard of it, made his ears perk like a dog. His curiosity peaked while listening to the end of the speech, and his feet antsy like a kid waiting for his prom date, knwoing in a few hours that dress will be on the floor

Ladies and Gentleman, first I'd like to thank you all. This is actually a discussion that hits me closely, and I appreciate Mr. Ghost for bringing this to our streets.

I hear a lot of you say that you "shouldn't judge a book by it's cover, but..." and while I completely understand, a part of me wants to shove you off the metaphorical fence that you're on, so that you pick a side. Now, having said that, I'll be bold and choose a side.

I believe a tattoo, your business card, and anything else you make visible to the public should reflect that of your status. In other words, if you want to command respect, then do so in EVERY facet of the word. Your tattoo is visible to everyone and therefore is a part of you. I believe once you reach the once-coveted rank of Made Man, you need to snap yourself into shape if you already haven't. Sure it's fun to play around with silly little tattoos of boobies and fart jokes when you're a lowly gangster. But as you move up things need to change. In my opinion anyway.

Is it wrong to judge someone based on their public image? I think not. For many, that's the ONLY way to judge someone. Who do I reference? Our new comers. If our fresh-off-the-boat imigrants come ashore and see us flailing around without a care, showing tattoos of God only knows what, do you really think they will respect us? Fear us? Yeah, maybe you got a steady hand with a gun and the sound of a body dropping to the concrete doesn't phase you... but if you look like an idiot, I'll laugh in your face and probably pull my water pistol on you first. I fill mine with vinegar. It hurts in the eye.

Harvey's assistant pulls the car around, but before departing, he leans against the hood, waiting for a possible response
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Tattoos & You(s) - A Story Driven Discussion
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL