Get Timers Now!
X

May 03 - 13:18:41
Page:  1 
The makings of a leader Started by: Tommy_Killa on Mar 26, '09 13:51
A strapping young man gets out of a black car. Followed by two large men in suits, he approaches the podium. Clearing his throat, he awaits your attention. " I am here today to discuss a subject that catches my interest, and I'm sure many others."

"There some of you out there that would love the chance to have a family of your own. But do you have what it takes? I want to ask you all, what does it take to be a crew leader? Or what exactly expected from you, before you can get auth?

Are there certain qualities one must possess? Or things you must do to be considered? And should it be left to your family head to decide, or a collaboration of all the current leaders?

Personally I think to be considered, you should be well known, show great leadership skills, and be very knowledgeable about how things work in our world. Street presence also seems to be a must, but how much do you really need? Sharing opinions and creating the occasional thread is always good, but how often is your presence required? "

I invite you all to share your opinion, especially the current leaders. What do you think the requirements of a CL should be? Thank you for your time.

Tommy Killa flashes a smile, and walks back to his car.
Report Post Tip
1. Lead by example. If you wish your crew to be hard working and diligent, it is important that you live up to your own ideals. There is a saying "I would never ask anybody to do something I wouldn't do myself". If your crew see you showing up at noon late and being unprofessional, it will make it much more difficult for them to follow your advice.

2. Humility. To lead we need to encourage others to act in a certain way. However, if we try to lead through our inflated ego people will not respect us. Rather than stressing your self, try to lead through stressing certain principles. People will be much more willing to follow a leader who embodies humility.

3. Appreciate your Crew. To be a good leader, you cannot underestimate the importance of offering gratitude to those who are trying hard to do the right thing. If people get appreciation then it will definitely encourage them to continue doing the right thing. At the same time, our appreciation should be sincere. We should not flatter but look for something good a person has done.

4. Have a Clear vision. Often to lead, you will need to overcome the resistance to change. If people have been doing something for a long time then they have an instinctive aversion to implementing new ideas. To introduce a new way of doing things you have to have the confidence and belief in the new way. People will definitely pick up on the belief that you have in your own vision.

5. Avoid arguments. If people criticize your approach, often the best thing to do is not get involved in arguments. You can listen to their criticism politely and thank them for their concern, but often the best approach is just to focus on the new approach; look forward and don't feel the need to defend yourself. This gives your vision certain nobility. This is most applicable to the streets

6. Listen to others. A good leader should try to feel part of his crew rather than superior, if you listen to others, they will definitely appreciate it. Often you may find that your goombas have good ideas that you can incorporate. Even if they have unworkable ideas, it is still worth giving the impression you value their opinions, even if they are not used.

7. Create a positive atmosphere. If you try to lead through creating a climate of fear, or competition, you will undoubtedly create problems. If you can lead whilst maintaining a positive attitude, it will definitely bear fruits in the long run. Granted, its important to make sure that they know that if you get ignored, they WILL fear you.

8. Don't always take yourself too seriously. There is no harm in making a joke at your own expense. People will appreciate a leader who can admit a mistake; it is after all a human quality. But, just don't make a habit of it and make sure they know that one mistake is ok, a pattern will lead to swimming with the fishies.
Report Post Tip
There he is - giving away trade secrets.

I would definitely focus on #1, #2, #3.

Without a flock - the leader is the leader of his empty HQ. Ego's and arrogance don't tend to secure loyalty and commitment on the parts of others. You need common ground with your men. Reward their success and educate them when they fall.

Don't compromise your principle. A great leader finds compromise, but not at the expensive of his values and principle.
Report Post Tip
Number 3, Number 6 and number 7 are the tips I'd focus on.

The leaders I remember fondly are the ones I respected but that I also felt I could come to any time. Whether it was a matter of life and death or whether I just needed to vent about how I was being treated, the leaders I respected the most and worked the hardest for were the ones who treated me with just as much respect as a gangster as they did when I gained a higher rank.

Number 3 is important because if you are doing this, then your crew can feel welcome and like they matter which leads to more of them becoming familiar with each other and wanting to spend time doing things to better themselves and the family.

Number six is vital because if a crew member feels they are being ignored or disrespected it will taint their experience and they may find a way to sabotage you and your hard work because of it. No, you don't have to kiss people's butts, but letting your crew know you hear and appreciate them makes them work harder and stay loyal because they feel like they are more than just a cog in a machine.

Number seven should sort of be a no brainer but here's my take: A positive environment is key to making a bunch of strangers into a tight knit family. Friendships can be formed and alliances that will carry on down through our children and children's children come from an HQ where people can be themselves. Of course you need rules and boundaries but they shouldn't be so restrictive that your family is afraid of you and the other people in their crew.
Report Post Tip
Not much I can add that others already haven't. Personally I'd say to focus on #1. Maybe it's me, but I hate double standards and two faced pricks. Be yourself, just a stronger you that others can look up to. If you can't follow your own rules, how is everyone else supposed to follow them?
Report Post Tip
Enjoying the beautiful day, Akasha takes a walk. She passes the streets, noticing someone standing on the podium speaking. As she hears words, she stops and her head turns. She thinks for a moment, wondering why his speech sounds so familiar. <emshe pushes="" her="" way="" to="" the="" front="">

She waits for the young man to finish, then she speaks up.

Wow, that was quite an interesting speech. I am curious as to how you came up with it.

She doesn't usually like to cause a stir in the streets, but this had to be brought to attention.

It looks so familiar to me. Now this is quite interesting. My great grandmother wrote the same speech long ago.

Yes, street presence is a wonderful thing. But next time, come up with your own speech, don't steal them. You never know when the owner of the stolen words may be watching.

Does this look familiar?

http://mafiareturns.com/comm/thread/10329

She walks off, shaking her head in disgust.</emshe>
Report Post Tip
Tommy stands there totally in shame. Here he is trying to make the right impression and he goes and does something like this. He apologizes to Akasha from the bottom of his heart and will not make that same mistake twice

"sorry i just really like that post and thought it was something everyone could write about"

Tommy leaves with his head down
Report Post Tip
Deez to you that you couldn't even fix the grammar.

Despicable.
Report Post Tip
Alf hears tommy,s heartfelt appologies..... he put his arm around him,"dont worry kid it happens to the best of us,keep that chin up"

alf takes tom to the local watering hole for a few light refreshments.
Report Post Tip
Walks up to the young man and smiles.

It was quite inappropriate and disrespectful what you did, but I'm sure the lesson was learned.

I am flattered that you liked it, but next time try to use your own words.

No worries my dear.
Report Post Tip
Tommy will take a bottle of vodka
Report Post Tip
get them shot glasses out son
Report Post Tip
I really wish I had something left to say, but it seems Fu-ManjuRourke has said everything for me...

Thank you, sir.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The makings of a leader
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL