Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 07:15:48
Page:  1 
As the Ox Sees It Started by: Butt_Ox on Apr 01, '09 20:46
The Ox is sitting in his dark, one bedroom apartment over the Rourke HQ, sipping his bourbon and being ornery and jaded. This was his idea of fun. Looking out the window, he saw a line of men standing in front of a bum, waiting for his eyes to open. Exactly one week from the time the bum laid down on the park bench, his eyes opened.

POW! POW! POW!

Shots rang out left and right, from a variety of guns. Only one man hit the target. The others wandered off grumbling about their luck that day. Vagrants were a curse to the mafia. They drew police attention on the turf. One family leader was particularly miffed, and he turned his gun on a member of his own family out of frustration. It was a helpless gangster; one who was away for only a single day. The man's shot rang out...POW! The gangster was dead.

Seeing the commotion, the Ox stood up from his recliner and wandered out into the street. He hated to give speeches these days. The masses were all retarded and had no common sense. Those who listened already knew the wisdom of his words. Those who should be listening to the Ox rarely paid attention to the street...

The mafia boss was standing over his victim, a bit of drool hanging off his lip, and letting out the occasional guffaw. The Ox backhanded the man in the face. The boss fell to the ground, let out a fart, and went unconscious. The Ox stepped over him and began to speak to the masses who were watching the commotion

"Do you think you are safe?"

That's why we join families, right? It would certainly be much more profitable if we worked for ourselves, but that does not get us very far when we are stealing on a mafia-controlled patch. So...we must join families for our safety. This is the traditional way of thinking, but lately it seems a gangster is almost as much at risk in a family as out of one.

There has been alot of talk recently about standards slipping and poor leadership. Most of it is subjective interpretation - things like recruiting policies and street presence. There is one thing, though, that is not subjective at all. I'm talking about crewleaders using their members as cannon fodder. If a crewleader does this, he is a shit leader. No exceptions, and it is not subject to interpretation.

No, I'm not talking about the bums who sleep for over a week. I'm talking about the ones who go off for two, three, or four days, and they get shot before they can return. What I just saw today was the most absurd and inexcusable action I have seen in quite awhile. A Gangster killed after being away a mere 24 hours.

It wasn't that long ago that this sort of conduct was a death sentence for a crewleader. Even the Gods would sometimes speak about the responsibilities of the other crewleaders in REMOVING the fucktard who could not tell the difference between their family members and a clay pigeon. When the actions of a Boss bring about the wrath of the Gods, it is pretty hard to deny that this Boss is a sorry sack of shit.

Now, I know what some of you are thinking..."Oh, but Mr Ox, maybe they broke a rule or something". Please, shut the fuck up. Nobody wants to hear your babble or see your face. Even your mother hates you. She told me so while I was banging her from behind. When someone is killed for breaking a rule, it is usually done within an hour after the offense. In any event, it is never done days after the offense. If it is, then that is another reason that the crewleader should not be robbing my fucking oxygen. Rule breakers need to be punished expediently. But, of course, we know this is not the case, so the point is moot.

Some of the responsibility here falls on the authing authority. If you are in control of a city, who you allow to branch out should be given serious consideration. It should not be little more than "Oh, so and so has managed to rank up, and I think he/she is a kewl cat, so i r giv him auth". Yes, we know you like to play circle jerk in the coffee shops, but the ability to pivot and stroke at the same time does not for a good crewleader make. To be the Boss of your own family, there must be several qualifications.

First of all, you must understand La Cosa Nostra. I can't tell you how many brain cells I have killed from beating my head against a wall watching some newly authed CL make a complete ass of himself by speaking about things in the future, confusing the role of mob boss with politician, referring to the breaking of a family rule as doing something "illegal" (as if EVERY fucking thing we do is not illegal. We are criminals, ffs), and several other things that annoy the fuck out of me, and if you are lucky enough, I will rant about in the future. If you don't understand Honor, Loyalty, Sangue, Omerta, and Famiglia, then step the fuck down and go back to Mafia School until such a time as you are well-versed enough to pass your knowledge on to others.

Secondly, you must have half a brain. It is true, most of you are severely learning disabled, and therefore should never lead a family according to this qualification. That's the breaks. Nobody ever said that EVERYONE should get the opportunity to lead a family. Some people just can't cut it. As a Mafia Boss, there will be people looking up to you. There will be people trying to follow your example. Things will arise that must be dealt with on the spur of the moment, and therefore a crewleader must have good decision-making abilities. This is synonymous with having half a brain. So, in other words, don't auth fucktards, even if they are your friends. If they are friends, they will understand.

Third, you must scrutinize the ethics of the candidate. Even if someone has half a brain and understands the pillars of Cosa Nostra, it is quite possible that they are a trigger happy fucktard. (Also known as DW Syndrome) This is the problem that I am mainly concerned with today. Oh, the other qualifications could certainly be applied to many leaders, but one thing at a time, ok? Long ago, anyone who was a known hitman would never even be considered for auth. Now it is the norm. I have no problem with this, per se. But, hitmen tend to develop a bloodlust, so they should be scrutinized even heavier to make sure they can control their urges.

Let me finish this off by saying, I know who you are, and I know what you are up to. Even though I only used one example today, there are a few crewleaders out there who are employing unethical conduct in the treatment of their lazier crew members. City Hall issues to us identification cards. There is a reason why those cards only say "inactive" after we have been away for a week. It is because this is considered a fair grace period. Leave those people alone until they have expired their seven days grace. And if it is a mademan or higher? Jesus fucking christ! Cut them some slack! That person has worked hard and earned your trust enough to be accepted into the inner circle! Is it so much to ask to give them two or three weeks? I know you have the room to spare in your HQ.

I hope my words are heeded today, and if you are someone who leads a family and has been abusing your position, be warned. I watch everybody. It's what I do. I probably know what you are going to do before you do. If this sort of unscrupulous conduct continues, I will do everything in my power to bring you down.

The Ox spits at the man laying on the ground and trods off back to his apartment to sit in the dark and drink
Report Post Tip
"And if it is a mademan or higher? Jesus fucking christ! Cut them some slack! That person has worked hard and earned your trust enough to be accepted into the inner circle! Is it so much to ask to give them two or three weeks? I know you have the room to spare in your HQ."

The problem is, Mr Ox. The title of being 'Made' doesn't seem to carry much honour or respect nowadays (to be honest, I'm no so sure it ever did to some people). It is no longer an inner circle, but an overflowing money pit. So therefore in certain leaders eyes, it is perfectly ok to not cut even their so called highly valued family some slack.

We're revolving in a world controlled by greed and itchy trigger fingers, who'd have thought it, eh?
Report Post Tip
I agree with you, Signore TeQ, but I have a few comments.

First, we do revolve in a world controlled by greed. Hell, that's why we got into the mafia. The money. The money is what drove most, if not all of us to where we are today. Sure, there's family ties involved, but that first decision to start illegal activity was a decision to follow the money, or follow the law.

As for the itchy trigger fingers, I feel precisely the same way. People are gunned down for another notch on their gun, rather than wait it out, and maybe turn it into a good investment. But, when it comes to a conflict, money normally won't solve it. Gun strength does. So, in essence, guns rule the world.
Report Post Tip
Nah, never would have thought that.

I think the scrutiny should start at Made Man. The powers that be see to it that you are promoted to Wise Guy if and when ready and then hand down the responsibilites of promoting to Made and above to the leaders out there. This is when the scrutiny should start.

Trusted people should be appointed to watch these Wise Guy's daily routines and see who they talk to and what about. Then, when these 'trusted people' report on this Wise Guy. The leader should make an educated decision on whether to welcome this Wise Guy into the inner circle.

In saying that however, These most trusted people would have to come from the 'inner circle'. Which would then mean that these trusted people would have to be of the rank Made Man or above. So who has watched them? To make sure they are trust worthy and loyal? It would have to be the leader. Who is usually too busy doing a million and one other things. So it is then overlooked and the decision to promote the Wise Guy comes down to whether or not the leader is friends with him/her or whether or not they have earned enough money for the leader.

Things need to change. Yes. How is it going to change though?
Report Post Tip
Butt_Ox, I just want to say that I always enjoy hearing your thoughts on current situations etc.

You are one of the only one's I hear on these streets that I actually enjoy listening to.
Report Post Tip
After observing that a couple of his trusted "high ranking" directors had made their way toward this particular street corner, Brick decided to see what was going on. Upon hearing the speech, he laughed, he cried, he laughed some more, and then decided to comment.

24 hours? That's hysterical. That's not inactive. That's hiring somebody with the purpose of using them as target practice. Shouldn't you really ask that question on the application? "Do you mind that I am only bringing you into this crew so I can use you as target practice?" I wonder if you'd have so many people sign on initially. And speaking about signing on, or "recruiting"...wait, that's not this speech so I'll leave that for another time.

The best part of this speech - having fucktards as friends. I agree. If your friend is a fucktard, you shouldn't auth them. Then again, if your friend is a fucktard, aren't you most likely a fucktard too? Just saying...

I have way too much room in my crew here to be killing people under 7 days inactive. And I really don't see the problem waiting for them to engrave themselves with that nasty "INACTIVE" tattoo.

And...I can't wait for the next rant.
Report Post Tip
Bravo, on both the target practice and authing fucktards points. May this long echo through our streets.

I do feel that current recruitment methods allow those pursuing target practice an easy route towards their goal though. Invite anything that moves, knowing full well a percentage of them will be in your sights within days.

The same recruitment fuzziness allows them an easy way out as well; "It's not targetting or whoring, I was going to train them in the ways of this thing behind closed doors. I'm good, me, I am selfless...it's for their benefit."

As for the auth point, you already said it all:

Nobody ever said that EVERYONE should get the opportunity to lead a family. Some people just can't cut it. As a Mafia Boss, there will be people looking up to you. There will be people trying to follow your example. Things will arise that must be dealt with on the spur of the moment, and therefore a crewleader must have good decision-making abilities. This is synonymous with having half a brain. So, in other words, don't auth fucktards, even if they are your friends.

Truth.
Report Post Tip
I absolutely agree with many of the points raised here today. I do believe that people should get a fair shot at the finer things in this life, such as running a family. I do not believe that means the Godfather or controlling leader of said city should just auth people because they are good coffee shop buddies.

Everyone has to start somewhere. Once in awhile a leader will come across a true gem. Someone who's family line might have just stepped foot in this community. They work hard, network well, make smart business decisions and the like. This person should then be afforded the opportunity to run their own syndicate be it full auth, or a captaincy should the occasion arise for such a calling. I don't think many people would disagree with that.

However, back to the topic in discussion. Taking out one of your own family members should be taken very seriously and with a heavy heart in most cases. Shooting just anyone, because you feel the need should never be allowed. This is definitely something that some people have let get out of hand. I can only speak for the city that I call my home when I say that this practice has always been looked down upon and not condoned in any way. If a leader is just inviting people on the hopes that they can just use their members as easy target practice, then said leader should be dealt with accordingly. This kind of practice needs to stop immediately.
Report Post Tip
This is a point i personally feel very strongly about and it seems as if you have hit the nail on the head Mr Ox. People who recruit members for what can only be called target practice is, in my opinion, comletely wrong.

Every day i read my newspaper and quickly flick throught to the obits and what do i see? Yes i see countless men who have been killed often, i suspect, for no reason. Now im not here to point fingers and certain indivduals but it is a practise which should be curtailed. Inviting someone to your family should be an honourable gesture to a hardworking and worthy individual, it seems as though some people are losing sight of this.
Report Post Tip
Although I'm more of a 'lurker', I have to add my words of praise for Butt_Ox. There's almost always too many folks gunning for the same zombie. Most of the time, the other guy will take the kill. It's sad. Have a good baw. Pick yourself up and go after another target. Simple, no?

I really can't believe a crewleader, someone in charge of others, someone that should command a famiglia while displaying omerta, onore, and sangue would do something like this. I pray it won't happen again.
Report Post Tip
This has, in my long life, always been a sore subject for me when it comes to crew inactives, and I thank Butt_Ox for hitting it right on the nail.

Killing people for being absent a few days is simply repulsive - what is a slap in the face and insulting to me the most however, is when someone who has been given the good graces of Made Man, Capo, or what have you - is shot for being inactive for one, two weeks. You do not label them in the same category as the associates who work under you. Apparently, you've earned the trust of the crewleader with a rank capable of doing catastrophic damage should they go down that path - the rank may have been tarnished with generations past, but it's still the exact same thing it was back when we were infants playing with our hair and trying to comprehend language. A promotion. A leap of trust. Confidence that your member will serve you at a higher echelon because of valued loyalty.

Agreeably, there will always be a web of friendships strung up via coffeeshops - but that is, as history has shown, inevitable. The only thing you can hope for is that the powers that be think more about the viability and potential of a new crewleader rather than doing someone a favor.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: As the Ox Sees It
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL