Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 10:31:19
Page:  1 
As the Brick Lays It Started by: Brick_Pollitt on Apr 02, '09 19:34
(Sorry Ox, it had to be done.)

Dressed in his work overalls, with bits of cement on his face, his clothes and his shoes, Brick makes his way onto the soap box he's just built for himself on the corner in front of his HQ. It's not as nice as his old soap box, but it's better because he built it with his own hands. So, with pride, he climbs to the top and looks out over the crowd. He waves at a few, winks at others, and sternly stares at a few others.

Okay, I apologize for coming out here and stealing somebody else's line for that matter, but I thought it was funny, so sue me. I know a good lawyer.

I've had something on my mind for years. It was on my father's mind before me, and his father's before then. And so on. It's always bothered my family. And I'm coming out here now because, well because I can. I'm not afraid to step out here on the streets as I'm not ashamed of anything I've done. That's not to say I haven't made mistakes. I have. Many. But I also hope to learn from them and not make the same mistake twice.

I step out confidently, and hoping that I make a good first impression. And THAT, my friends is what I want to talk about. Your first impression. Some of you don't understand the importance of a good first impression. So, I'm here to teach you.

First Impressions 101

Here's the deal. I am tired of seeing civilians, or even more experienced members of this community make their way through these streets with identification badges that say things like:

"Don't Fuck wit Me"

"Fuck Off"

"Fuck You"

"I'm da muthafuckin gangsta bitch"

Or anything else similar to any of these phrases.

So, this is your lesson for today. Don't do it. It annoys me. It's disrespectful. And worst of all, it certainly doesn't make the first impression that you want. And I'm interested to hear what the other leaders have to say on this subject, and interested to hear what your RH's and LH's think about it too. Do any of you think it's appropriate to come to these streets with one of those phrases as the first thing that people see? I look at your ID badge and it says "fuck you", believe me I think you're telling me "Fuck You." Makes me feel like sticking steel down your throat.

Why do you feel it necessary to make THAT your first impression? Is your vocabulary so small that it's one of only seven words that you know? You can't express yourself any better than that? Really? Come on! I know you can do better. I expect you to do better. And I'm asking all crewleaders to assist me in making sure that we, as a community, that our first impression is more important than that.

SO - here's the problem. We live in a time when people no longer have to make any effort to become part of a family. You can disagree with this, but the most you'll ever get me to say is that people have to make a minimum effort to get an invite to join a family. I don't claim to be an exception. But I will claim to be an exception in this regard: If your first impression is "fuck you" you will NEVER see an invite from this family. I ask the other crewleaders to do the same. But, bottom line is it's your family. Do what you want.

That's all I have.

This message has been brought to you by the Mafia Street Improvement Committe. (Yes, I made that up so don't ask.)
Report Post Tip

We live in a time when people no longer have to make any effort to become part of a family

This is a statement I couldn't agree more with, every day you see these hot headed thugs just into the nearest family with a simple request like "Hi, can I join da family?"

It's very annoying when family leaders care more about numbers than they do quality..

In my opinion, a perfect family is a family with 10 loyal, respectable and honest workers than a family of 50 disloyal little fuck wits that care about no one but themselves.
Report Post Tip
Giovanni stops and listens to the gentleman speak. After he finishes Giovanni smiles.

You've taken my thoughts and put them into words for me Mr.Pollitt. Now I don't have to do this myself. I'm in one hundred percent agreement with you with all of what you had to say here.

Giovanni turns and walks down the street.
Report Post Tip
First impressions are one of the most important things we as human beings have. They help in anything we do and some of the biggest moment of a persons life.

Interviews

Potential Relationships

Eternal Friendships

You go through life having a first impression like 'Fuck you'. You are going to die a virgin, probably dying a very horrible and cement filled death.

PJ walks back into the HQ, stepping in wet quick dry cement that Brick_Pollitt had left to one side.

God damnit boss! Have CaptainArab get the pick axe out the closet again!
Report Post Tip

In my opinion, a perfect family is a family with 10 loyal, respectable and honest workers than a family of 50 disloyal little fuck wits that care about no one but themselves.

Yeah, like with this gal here.

Double thumb points at herself.

Now I know that I'm not actively recruiting at all, but I do happen to speak to a lot of people as they filter into our world, so I find that I have the same experience.

It is true that people in this Thing of Ours seem to have a lack of sense when they're meeting someone for the first time. Nothing, and I mean nothing gets me more agitated when someone contacts me for the very first time and calls me "Beautiful", "bud", "sexy", "homez" or a collection of many more assorted nicknames. People who have known me for years don't even get that right to call me some of those things- what makes you think that you've even come close to earning that pleasure?

To the new kids out there- don't do it. Speak to a Mob Boss like you would your school teacher, your preacher or a stranger: be polite, and most certainly be respectful.

Turning to Brick she smiles and nods broadly.

Very excellent speech, Mister Pollitt. Very well done indeed.
Report Post Tip
Kittie nods while leaning on her push broom

There was a day when respect was the way you got ahead and disrespect at the level seen on some young gangster's parts got you shot. I'm not saying people go around getting shot but I do think some private reprimands might be in order. I'd like to see respect make a come back.

Kittie sweeps past the crowd, pushing old fliers filled with profanity into the gutter.
Report Post Tip
I agree with you 100%, Don Pollitt.

Respect seems to be a thing of the past. About 90% of the people who approach me to request an invitation, have something like what you were referring to in their profile. It is very insulting.

I still show respect to my superiors and fellow mafioso on the streets and I enjoy when the feeling is mutual.

Bravo to you, Don Pollitt. I enjoy your speeches.
Report Post Tip
Darkside stops in his tracks when he hears the speech

I have to agree, people think that it makes them look big and gangster like to have "fuck you" on there ID, when in fact they are just disrespectful and look stupid.

It is sad but I also have to agree that it does seem that you dont have to put in any effort any more to join a family. That may be due to the fact that there are so many family's now-a-days, I dont know, but it doesn't help teach new gangsters how to respect there leaders.

Darkside who is not normally seen in the streets turns on his heels and walks away shaking his head
Report Post Tip
It obviously makes sense for a new, up and coming mobster to listen to these speeches and realise that the way forward is clear, try not to piss off the mob bosses with slang, swearing and a general egotistical attitude.

Should the mobster in question have any common sense, they would never approach someone that could easily have them killed in such a disrespectful manner.

However, surely this is yet another reason that most of these guys are thugs, gangsters, goombas and they haven't been made yet. I don't really mind a gangster with a 'fuck you' attitude, because, well, I don't really care about them, they are pawns, associates to the family, it is the job of someone in the family to show them the right path, and to let them know that in order to reach the inner echelons of the family, they MUST conduct themselves in a manner becoming of that family name. Once they are made and they speak, people will listen, they now represent the family in their speech and in their actions. If someone with this honour still has an identification badge that reads "Don't Fuck wit Me R I will keel uz", then not only would I question the gangster, but also the leader
Report Post Tip
I would have to say I agree, not to disrespect recruiters or their bosses, but the first night I made this character, I had 7 or 8 invites, and no one asked me anything, that is why I chose Redemption, because Doc_Santoro was actually inquisitive of who I was and what I wanted out of the MOB life.

Good time to say something Brick!!

-Frankie-
Report Post Tip
Mr. Pollitt, you bring up an excellent point here. I can remember going through past journals of my deceased family members, and reading about topics like this. One of them even held the esteemed position of looking at young members tattoos and cards. If something was inappropriate, they would be made to change it or face a harsher consequence.

I definitely think that this is something that should be brought back into effect. Sure we are mobsters, and live a rough and tough life. That doesn't mean that we can walk around with blatant disrespectful attitudes and expect to get far in this life.
Report Post Tip
Hears a speech given by his Don Brick Pollitt. He takes in what he hears and gives his opinion...

"Excellent points you made Don Pollitt. As you know there are a few of us that help with the family's recruitment and I've seen this countless times. I know you have aswell sir. I do hope the fresh bodies off the boat can hear this speech and perhaps learn about respect and the ways of entering a family properly."
Report Post Tip
i have seen and heard this going on in families if you cant be respectfull here you dont need to be here all they do is make all CL's and there RHM and LHM waist there time when they dont have time to waist i wish it would go back to the old days like many of you have said where respect was key to anything.
Report Post Tip
Sal looked at Don Pollitt who still had some cement on his face, which made him chuckle a bit but Sal indeed was jealous of the nice, self made soapbox of Don Pollitt. After hearing some of the points his fellow mafiosi made before he took a step forward to speak out his mind.

"Don Pollitt, you know you have the most respect of me and the Gato Regime and today you have once more showed me why it is like that. It is an excellent point you have risen there and I do agree with you. The first impression is an important one and to be respectful either. I will look out for such acts of disrespect and indeed, I have found one and I'll take care of it.

But on the other hand I do agree with Don Mac, associates who have that on their ID badge just don't annoy me too much. These are criminals who are working towards the family and Made Men and above don't have to care much about them. But as associates also have the name of the family head - who they are working for - on their ID badge which reflects on us and as Don Mac said it might make us poor leaders. I have thought about that issue and I came to one solution. Of course I can only speak on my own but I will make sure that this lesson is teached right at the beginning of their career as a criminal.

Sal nods and goes back into the crowd.
Report Post Tip
It has always irritated me beyond comparision when one of the fine fellows you've mentioned in your speech wear a tag similar to your description. Those are usually the same people who throw out one of those ubiquitous, universal, and loved "one liners" we avoid like the plague.

I question what exactly they're trying to convey when they step on these streets; this life is not one of barbaric men and women walking around with clubs and smashing everyone and everything they see in sight.

Back to the original point, though - if one of these people contacts me for a place of work, I'll usually ask them why they feel the need to make blind threats or insults in their profile - and why, to that effect, should I hire them if they're hotheaded coming straight off of the boat. Usually this is greeted with no reply, but there have been a few in my life that have been seen turning a new leaf and learning the ups and downs of this life.

It's one of those things you'll always have to deal with. Fathers of these people, most likely telling stories of horrible things in, apparently, a completely different world than ours. Who knows - maybe they were just born that way from experience.
Report Post Tip
yea for me,and everything in life the first impression is the lasting one. and i also find it offensive and disrespectful with "new members" quotes,and these hot headed gangsters with there guns shooten up all over the place and showing no respect to the mafia ways.

But i put this to you all, as more experienced members and with a lot of are strong blood lines,shouldnt we be the ones to show and teach these thugs and "noobs", our way of life?

at least give them every opportunity to show they can come around to our life style...... if not and they prove to be these little stupid noobs,then i think they have no place in our world amoung the great men and women that exsist.
Report Post Tip
Bricktop nods his head in agreement and takes in the valid points made about the pollution of unintelligible language spread by "gAngSTaaaassss"

"I have to agree, first impressions seem to stick with me. If Some young gun comes straight out into people's faces with disrespectful language and so forth, it doesn't reflect well upon their family. Maybe some of the fresh faces appearing in this world have too much confidence, in some instances I think it can be a bad thing. I do believe that if certain mafiosa believe they can speak like this to people on the streets and believe they are indestructible due to quotes like "don't fuk wid me" and "I'm da mutherfuckin' gansta bitch", it'll only end up in their iminent death, because they'll cross someone on a pretty bad day that won't stand for it."

"Not that it bothers me too much though" ;)

Bricktop heads back to Gato's Buscetta Pasta for a light lunch after all this thinking made him hungry.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: As the Brick Lays It
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL