Get Timers Now!
X

May 02 - 03:19:55
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Random annoyance Started by: BestestFriend on Apr 13, '09 00:32
I implied my position by stating that things did not always mimic reality, nor should they.

Although many things in-game that are way OOC annoy the piss out of me, this sort of thing is relatively minor. If the most OOC that the tards around this place get is by puffing on a doobie, I think we are doing pretty well.
Report Post Tip
I think its worse than:

#1. "Dingleberry made Don today" speeches

2. YOU HAVE RECEIVED MY 2538th MAIL!!!!1!!!1one!11!!!

3. North Americans Speaking Like Brits

4. Misuse of Terms

5. Buddy Fucking Nielson

put together.
Report Post Tip
Hey, I'll talk like a bloody Brit if I fuckin want ta! You cannot stop me and de Irish men of de homeland of Ireland!
Report Post Tip
Actually, I probably could, but that's beside the point. ;O)
Report Post Tip
Please don't say Brit.
Report Post Tip
Why? Brit is a bloody wonderful word. Like I know some Brits call people from the u.s. Yanks. And I've heard the french called Frogs. And Brits is just short for British. no offence meant even. no different than English really. or is it some variation on U.K thats appropriate these days? I must confess I'm not up to snuff on the proper PC names these days...
Report Post Tip
Yeah, I'd rather call someone from england 'Brit' than 'Uks'.
Report Post Tip
No I wasn't even being serious really but British is what Americans always call us and its a collective term for completely different tribes of people. For example scots are as different from the English as the English are from Americans. Like even if we're playing football against Germany they'll cheer the Germans. Same with Ireland. When people say British these days they usually mean English people, If they're referring to the Irish or the Scottish, they'll call them Irish or Scottish but not us, to be honest if the Irish, Scottish and Welsh don't want to be part of Great Britain, I don't want any of us to be called British and we all get called after our own country. Sorry for the rant.
Report Post Tip
But England was Great Britain...the collective is the U.K. from what i understand. to me if your from Britain (aka England) youre a brit. same ireland are irish, scotland scottish. And the welsh are the welsh. lol
Report Post Tip
Britain is England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales - A lot of people in America think Britain means England which isnt that big a deal but it just gives us a little twinge when we get called Brits because we know that you think you mean English but you don't
Report Post Tip
U.K is anything thats technically ruled by the Queen so Britain, the Channel Islands, Isle of White, Falklands? (can't remember) other islands etc. don't worry I'll put it in my memoirs.
Report Post Tip
I knew that the Brits were Welsh and Irish and Scottish. Ever heard of the Scot's Civil Wars? One led by commander William Wallace, who was hung, drawn, and quartered before King Edward Longshanks? I knew that. We are talking about Brits from England. And the Welsh, they fought as archers in those wars. Battle of Sterling, Scots almost lost due to Welsh longbows being able to break through their chainmail.
Report Post Tip
Well suprisingly enough I'm doing a university dissertation on Medieval British History for next year so I do know a bit about Mel Gibson err I mean William Wallace and also some of the Battles, (it mainly focusses on the black death which came later) but to be honest I usually do an essay that takes me about 3 days and then promptly forget everything i typed out - the state of education today.
Report Post Tip
Sorry I should have saved that one for the memoirs as well.
Report Post Tip
It's slightly annoying to me- only when people take it OVER the top though. Like:

Rolls around in a meadow and basks in the glow of the sun whilst throwing massive amounts of weed into the air and screaming in joy.

If we start getting picky about that, though, then people shouldn't be drinking in the streets either, considering it is the prohibition. People wouldn't be able to advertise bars or businesses where alcohol is sold, or even run a bar/restaurant where alcohol is present without some sort of back room.

I think if we had to do things entirely accurate to history, people would grow bored with the game. In the case of our "products", I think many people take liberties here, and it's okay because it works for us.
Report Post Tip
Exactly. Marietta put it quite succinctly. But far as the English...hrm. I thought at one time it was just straight called Britain....And it was an empire. So of course the Scots, Welsh, and Irish would be lumped under the heading. But enh, its just a title anyways. A rose by any other name is just as sweet, and dung just as foul.
Report Post Tip
Hmmm maybe but I'm thinking drinking is different. when people mention drinking in the streets they are usually trying to get in character. I am willing to bet that the vast majority of people who mention ordering a whisky on the rocks would never drink that in real life (they're more likely to be whiskey and coke and cans of beer people) But they're always having straight spirits because they think thats what gangsters are more likely to be drinking. Smoking weed is different because i don't believe they do see it as part of the gangster lifestyle but because they do it at home they try to incorporate it into the game where it always seems to stick out.
Report Post Tip
But if we were truly trying to get into character, we wouldn't be ordering alcohol in public at all. Catch my drift? ;)

To each their own. If we start criticizing the smaller, finer points we'd lose everything.

Once again, though, I'm on your side. Can't stand it when someone RPs rolling a joint.
Report Post Tip
Yeah theres part of me that thinks its showing off. Which your allowed to do I guess so I shouldn't really be bitching. I think with the drink its more of an attempt to get in character and its sometimes misguided when its in public.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Random annoyance
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL