Get Timers Now!
X

May 17 - 09:52:25
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
The Spirit of St. Louis Started by: VendettaJames on Apr 17, '09 13:15
For Lou_Amadio, the poker game had been a bust: he was down by nearly a grand, with no redemption in sight. Chris_Moyles and Roman_Prozacian had fared much better, with Chris amassing a small pile of notes and Lou's watch and pinky ring in front of the cards he held in his hand, the other nursing a cigar at the corner of his mouth. It was a weekly game, and a tradition; something that was steadfast in rapidly changing times. But this week, it was also a cover for the three remaining unchallenged Godfathers. The poker was not just recreation. It was a way to break the ice before the meeting of minds began.

And given Lou's current hand, the meeting was about to begin. Disgusted, he folded, tossing his cards onto the table, much to Chris and Roman's amusement, who finished the hand. Roman took the pot, but Chris was happy with his own take. To add insult to injury, he tried on Lou's watch, nodding appreciatively of the fine craftsmanship. Lou, sullen and a sore loser cleared his throat. It was time for the gloating to stop and time to get down to business.

"There's no point in dancin' round it anymore, gentlemen," Lou said, settling back into his seat. "I've seen it in my city, and you all have seen it in yours. This business is growin' and there's no end in sight. It's a good thing, and it's a bad thing."

"It's a bad thing alright!" Chris interjected, his palm slapping the table. "My boys are so overcrowded down in N'awlins they can't pick their nose without the fibbies up their asses, let alone pick a pocket."

Roman nodded in agreement. "Its no better out west. LA is growing and it won't be long until there's more criminals than law abiders. Half my boys are sitting around twiddling thumbs 'cause it's too damn crowded and the heat's too high."

"Yeah." Lou sighed and Chris let out a large cloud of smoke as he looked down at the table littered with cards and large bills. "So, its time to expand. We all knew it was comin', I just didn't think it was comin' so damn soon. Seems like just yesterday that we sent boys to take over the ports of Detroit, and here we all are, too big for our britches yet again."

"What about Atlanta?" Chris offered. "We don't have a lot to offer in the south, and it's a gold mine. Boston or Charleston too, if we're looking for another Detroit or N'awlins. The port there in Charleston is the busiest on the east coast, right now."

"Well if you're looking for another port city, the west coast ain't a bad choice." Roman leaned in, resting his elbows on the worn green felt. "Seattle's already got a nice little base of operations there, but nothing a couple of new families can't stamp out and reestablish. Plus, you've got another west coast port city, and we all know how good the ports are for business."

"Actually," Lou started, tilting a glass of bourbon to his lips to ease the pain of losing his pinky ring. It still sat on the table, Chris having the decency to not put it on and parade the win, but the diamond would catch the light every so often, almost winking goodbye to Lou, who's frustration began to mount again. "I'm thinkin' somethin' more central. We've got a belt of activity running from Detroit down to New Orleans, and I think we might as well milk that for all its worth right now."

Chris and Roman exchanged doubtful glances, and Chris spoke up. "Lou, don't you think that might be bad for business? I got the feds all over my ass, and I know Detroit and Chicago aren't any different."

"That's my point." countered Lou. "In a way, the more we bring in to the region, the more overworked they'll be. The feds aren't going to back down on us if we move somewhere else. We bring more into the area, they'll be runnin' so much to cover their own asses, they can pull their noses outta ours. Plus, there's another reason."

Roman arched an eyebrow. "Oh?"

"Yeah, oh. Some of my boys over in Philly, union types, out at the airport... they say big changes are going down. Big changes that are going to help us, and hurt us. They tell me that the planes are going to start changing routes for general flights."

"The hell does that mean?" Chris shot up from his chair, the cigar falling from his mouth, ash end to his slacks. He swore loudly and began brushing himself off.

Lou grinned as if the cigar was his tiny way of getting back for the loss. "It means, that the white collars making money off the planes are chopping up the routes a bit. Public flights will still run every two hours out of the major cities, but they're just cutting out some of the direct flights. They're making these 'hubs' now. Apparently it keeps costs down for aviation. Doubt we'll see any of those reduced costs though. But anyway, if you're in Philly, and you wanna get out to LA, you gotta go through Chicago or Detroit, or even New Orleans first. Then two hours later, you hop on that plane for the west coast."

"Well," Roman mused, looking deep in thought. "I can see the advantage of that thinking from that point of view, but what's that got to do with putting another city in central?"

"St. Louis." Lou said, and the other two looked quizzical. "St. Louis is slated to be a new aviation hub. And if more people are going to St. Louis, then we're takin' more people to St. Louis. We got planes comin' in somewhere? I want our boys on it, I want our boys everywhere where shipments are coming in."

"Well hold up now. Since you got all the facts, what about our private flights, when we need to get out of town fast?"

"Ah, those private flights are gonna be the same as the general flights, only you don't have to wait two hours. Still can't go cross-country though, gotta go through a hub. And, of course, it'll still hurt the wallet. But, there's smaller companies who need to make a livin' too. My boys tell me you can take a charter flight from the east coast to the west coast, no problem. It'll be pricey, but not nearly as pricey as those private flights. And they say you'll have to wait a little bit before being allowed back into the general terminals. Three hours or some such nonsense. Not too bad if you really need to get from coast to coast."

"Well, I guess that's clear enough," Chris said while Roman sat quietly and absorbed. "So it's settled then. St. Louis sounds like that's where we need to be."

"Yup," Lou stood up, signaling the end of the meeting. "If they're going to make the central US a hub for aviation, we're going to take advantage of it too. Tell your boys, as I'm sure the other cities will be well aware soon. St. Louis is up and coming, and we're going to follow."

Chris and Roman stood as well, and Chris collected his winnings from the table as Lou watched his ring disappear into Chris' pocket. Moyles noticed and grinned, having to have one last dig at the old man.

"Next week, same time, Lou? Bring that same neck chain, it'll match the ring I took from you."

Lou walked out of the room, leaving his trail of expletives behind them, drowned out by the raucous laughter of Chris_Moyles and Roman_Prozacian.
Report Post Tip
Man if Atlanta was added...id freak maybe try and claim it lol since its pretty much home irl.

But I still want to see Miami! lol Such a awesome city, if you havent been there, go!
Report Post Tip
Rourkey pours himself a glass of whiskey and ruminates before speaking.

I'm excited by the development of a new city and I am looking forward to seeing which group can "grab hold" of the city and assert their power first!
Report Post Tip
At least this breaks things up a bit.

Right now the cities may as well be called "City 1's through 7" since it really doesnt matter except for Philly being a bit harder to get by in than the rest.
Report Post Tip
TheTerminator stands up from the curb he sat on while listening to VJ's speech from

"Well that was well said.. I am excited for the new city, should be interesting to see who manages to claim it"
Report Post Tip
Dynamo falls to his knees, and is amazed

"Oh my goodness, a new city! YAY!!!"
Report Post Tip
Yes a new city.
Report Post Tip
I think it's very good for business that we're expanding so fast we've outgrown our current locations.
Report Post Tip
St Louis thats where I live in real life so thats sup!
Report Post Tip
There's alot of cities that may or may not join this thing of ours but none will ever be as mean as the streets of Detroit!
Report Post Tip
East St Louis ma dude ^
Report Post Tip
East St. Louis is scary. i woulndn't venture here if you are a tourist
Report Post Tip
the new city is gonna be great. i cant wait.
Report Post Tip
I eagerly await and embrace the idea of St. Louis joining our underground network. It's almost exciting to think that we are alive during a time where business has grown so much that we are branching out to find other venues of profit.

Shivers excitedly.

We're making history here, ladies and gents.
Report Post Tip
What about Miami, seems like a better Mafia city?
Report Post Tip
I say St.Louis should go to Cav & Striphe. Them guys really know what theyre doing and are such an asset to the community! - Anonymous mailer 1 of 230.
Report Post Tip
I am glad to see a new city joining this thing of ours. Anxious to see who will occupy it.
Report Post Tip
I call dibs on St. Louis!

checks off the he's got dibs box near his name
Report Post Tip
I think we should allow Cav to set up in this city, and then invade it with the best hitters the world has to offer... but in reality, this is an exciting addition to our criminal world and will open up new drug trades, inactive mobsters and chances for new and old mobsters to achieve something that they once believed they could not.

Waits to catch a plane to the city when it opens
Report Post Tip
Hears roaring and excitement from all around the streets as he passes.

"What a great city it'll be. Can't wait for it."
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: The Spirit of St. Louis
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL