Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 10:02:10
Page:  1 
No solicitors Started by: Decker_White on May 05, '09 17:46
Okay, so, there I was, minding my business at my home when I hear a knock at my front door. Not that it's any of your business, but I was just about done with my crossword puzzle and was thinking 'bout maybe taking a nap. It was raining, I had had a turkey club for lunch, so I was tired. Anyway, must've been two-something when I hear the knock. I open the door and there's this guy there--all smiles. He's got this goofy-lookin' hat that makes me want to punch him square in the nose and he forces a brochure into my hand before I realize what's happened. Says he's from the tailors up the street and then stands there on my front porch and insults the suit that I'm wearing. Says it's outta style and that he can fix it up for cheap. Now he's talkin' estimates like I'm interested. Nevermind that I like my suit just fine or think that his outfit makes him look more like a clown than a tailor. So, being the gentleman that I am, I politely ask him to get off my property before I pump him full of lead.

See, as annoying as that was, it's been happening to me a lot lately. People keep trying to sell me all sorts of crap that I don't need or want. Not sure when it became okay for a guy to wander door to door and offer to bribe the cops for ya--especially when the salesman is a known associate of a crime family and should probly keep a low profile--but it happens every day. I understand that a guy's gotta make money, but isn't this a bit absurd? Since when do "respectable Mafiosi" peddle goddamn vacuum cleaners on the weekends? Where's the fuckin' honor in that, huh?

My point is this: there's nothin' wrong with wanting to sell a product, but don't harass people. Help the local economy and set up a shop or something. And if business is slow, either you fuckin' deal with it or you go rob a bank. Simple.
Report Post Tip
Curiously enough, I actually know what you're talking about and have been receiving the same knocks on my door. Unfortunately, they usually come around one or two in the morning at my house. But for the fact that I answer the door in my boxers and don't usually wear my gun to bed, those solicitors would be dead.

I don't mind you selling your product. In fact, I enjoy visiting local establishments whether it be to have my car fixed, get an ice cold Dr Pepper, or a place to take my wife dancing.

Now, the tailors, the guys who can fill the jails, the bible salesmen - they need to go back to their shops and wait for me. Truth be told, I just have too many visitors to deal with these solicitors.

But meh, I understand your desire to drum up some business, and think it is an unfortunate commentary on the way our community has gone lately. Too many people are spending too much time robbing 7/11...errr, post offices, and not enough time visiting the fine establishments our cities have to offer.
Report Post Tip
Strolling back from a bar early in the morning, and only wavering slightly, Kates listens to the speech and offers her own thoughts.

A good point, Mr. White. These businessmen should have learned by now that insulting and harassing their potential customers is not the most profitable course of action. I don't mind being approached, actually, as long as the sales pitch is respectful, informative, and well thought out. But far too often I confuse them with bums begging for money.
Report Post Tip
*Floyd looks at his hat, thinks, "Goofy looking huh"*

*Floyd looks at his suit*

I got the hat but not the suit. Couldn't be me. Plus I usually show up around three-something anyway.

Could've been me.

*lifts shoulders*
Report Post Tip
Marietta nods along as she listens to the men speak before her. When at last the coast is clear of other speakers, she steps forward and smiles politely towards the men.

I can't help but agree with many of the sentiments said here, gentlemen. Of course I have always, and will always, support those who have their own businesses. Back when I was a young girl I owned several myself. These days I do still make the occasional dress or suit, or run other types of businesses. Nothing annoys me more, however, than when I witness another business owner basically stalk or harass someone for their business.

As Mister White among countless others have said, it is alright to advertise. If you are respectful perhaps you can drop a line to people about your business or your aims. But for the love of God, and my sanity, do not endlessly send correspondence to people's homes, or place of work, insulting and harassing and begging. It's unbecoming, and it's certainly unprofessional.

Just an old lady's thoughts and tips on the subject!
Report Post Tip
MB Looks on and scratches his chin

Well on this I am a little torn, I myself invited (you can say solicited) Just the Godfathers/Mothers to my new business not to long ago. It was an initial invite, then a follow up with directions. Nothing more nothing less, I felt it only respectful to offer the Godfathers/Mothers priority seating as it were.

I think anything done in proper context is okay, moderation is probably the key as in most things in life.

starts to wonder if he did the right thing
Report Post Tip
Marietta had started to walk away when she turned on her heel and began to shuffle back around, as if drawn back to the scene by some unknown force. Spying Money-B speaking she nods towards the young mobster.

What you did I felt was respectful advertising. As a fellow businesswoman I felt it was an effective way to get yourself noticed. Like you said "moderation is the key". I feel that right there sums up everything that I had said before!
Report Post Tip
Slamming down his cigarette as he shrugs his shoulders to fix his jacket, Mudkips said his piece...

I agree with both Decker_White and our beautiful Godmother Marietta. Moderation is the key, and moreover, I like when the business owners approach only the leaders of the crews or cities. Then it is up to the leaders to decide if their members have a need for the service, and inform them further of the new business. It can be insulting when you are approached by someone you don't know who is trying to sell a service you likely don't want and didn't ask for.

My experience with life is this: you seek out the things you truly want or need in life. For example, if you need milk, do you go to the store and buy some yourself, or do you sit at your table, glass in hand, thirsty, waiting for the milk to come to you? So as my personal message to the solicitors of our world, I would suggest strongly against mass mailing.

Mudkips turned to leave as he lit another cigarette...

If people want something, they'll find you, and if they don't, having you approach them will just turn them off of your service more.

...and then he was gone; a flash of light reflected off his holstered .38 Special and a puff of smoke from a fresh cigarette the only signs he had ever stood there at all...
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: No solicitors
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL