Get Timers Now!
X

May 14 - 00:38:32
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 
Business District Ideas Started by: Mudkips on May 09, '09 08:58
Well, after checking the composite thread and making sure that no one else had apparently suggested this before me, I decided to take it upon myself. What I have thought of combines some of the business district ideas out there such as paying for your business(es), buying guns or silencers, and so on. However, I offer some extra ideas upon that:

1)Legal Services: These could include serving as moderators when there are disputes between mafiosi or families(admittedly not likely to be used more than a gun, but it might save SOME needless killing), validating contracts(such as loans(see #2)), and writing and validating wills. I know the last one might stir up controversy, because of how the game has been played over the years, but let's face it. In their day, mafiosi had money stashed away for their loved ones in case they took a long walk off a short pier, why shouldn't we be allowed to do the same?

2)Business Licenses: As a way of requiring people to pay to open a business, part of that process could be applying for a business license, which would likely be awarded or rejected by the highest ranking CL in the city, the veritable owner of the city. This would guarantee the leader a cut of the profits, and would be a way to make sure that people use the hard coded business system so that no one gets cheated. It would also be required to have such a license to sell any merchandise such as loans, guns, homes, etc.

3)Loans: Loans have been in and out of popularity for some time now, namely due to the fact that they are very risky. The worst a person can possibly do if someone doesn't repay them is to have them HQ'd, and then the lender is still out the money. With a built in loan system, failsafes could be in place to make sure that that does not occur, such as a person's debts being paid in the event that they die, or at least a portion, auto-saving features where a portion of a person's crime payments, after taxes, could be saved into the federal bank account so as to prepare for loan repayment, and a credit rating which would red-flag risky borrowers.

4)Real Estate: This is short and sweet, but businesses could be made where people can buy homes in different cities, possibly giving a defense or stealth boost, the boost amount being determined by the type of home, and also can be used as a show of wealth for cocky CLs.

5)Bars: This is something I have long felt has been neglected. How about this: after a bar owner has bought their bar and their liquor license(or distillery for bootlegging perhaps(perhaps tying alcohol prices to the price of grain alcohol in the city?)) they can sell legitimate drinks to the public. These drinks could be a double edged sword, they would up the success rate and payout of crimes and jailbreaking, but would also decrease the stealth, defense, and attack abilities of the person. This could be an interesting prospect for high ranking members who are looking to use jailbreaking to level up, but want an extra boost, and are willing to put themselves at risk. There could also possibly be a system where you first have to enter the bar, meaning you cannot do any crimes for that time, but you can post in the bar thread for some RP fun, and also recieve "WS" about people who are hitting the bottle hard so you are aware of who might be an easy target. Also, HQ bars could be allowed, but only allowing much smaller boosts.

6)Cars: This is one of my shakier ideas, but I like it. The idea is, people own car dealerships, and if you buy a car, you can travel to nearby cities, such as Chicago to Detroit, without having to fly or affecting your flying cooldown. I know this one is a bit out there, but just a thought.

7)Guns: People have mentioned guns and silencers before, so just reiterating that guns and silencers would be a nice addition, as well as other gun accessories, and cleaning services to lower the WB percentage(maybe even have the WB percentage go up with every shot if the gun is not maintained?).

Lastly, for now anyway, I'd like to add that any business owner who is selling an actual product, such as a house, would have to pay to first purchase the product and have it in stock(possibly with the exception of houses which could also possibly be sold by the person who can sell it first, but they only get paid a commission that way), thus making sure that it is not a goldmine where people are making 100% on ridiculously priced items.

I sincerely apologize if I left anything out, I will re-read this over the coming days to see if I forgot anything, and if not, I look forward to hearing what you all have to say!
Report Post Tip
Very nice Mudkips !

I like all of them, hope the Gods notice this
Report Post Tip
A couple of great ideas in there.

To play devils advocate I would raise the following though...

1)Legal Services - This can already be done, to a large extent, by users. It doesn't really require hard coding into the game, just some logistical organisation by the users who might wish to partake in it.

2)Business Licenses - Again, this can be done (and often has been) by users. Personally, I believe that anything which can be done manually, should be done manually. It means the users who put in a bit of effort and work, get the rewards.

3)Loans - Loans are risky. There are no guarantees in rl that a loan will be repaid, why should it be any different here? We are mobsters, we deal in risky business. If someone wants to try and earn a little extra cash by going into the loan sharking game, they need to be aware of the risks and treat it accordingly.

4)Real Estate

5)Bars

6)Cars

7)Guns

These last four I've grouped together. They are all basically allowing stat boosts from purchases. Other than the existing bodyguards available for purchase, this is a relatively big change from the existing system. Many of these have been suggested in one form or another over the years (other than the bar one, that looks 100% new), but none have been included to date for various reasons.
Report Post Tip
4)Real Estate

5)Bars

6)Cars

7)Guns

I like the ideas, but I'm not sure how the programmers can hard code it into the programme.. But it makes the game more interesting, all the same...
Report Post Tip
Its too easy though to get loaned money and then retire or die and come back the next day. If people were dead forever then the loaning system would be ok but its not and so gangsters and goombas will borrow money and not really care about returning it.
Report Post Tip
Those are exactly the reasons why many of us don't operate loan shark type systems.

That said, if you want the rewards associated with such a business, these are the risks you take.

It's possible to have the loans structured in a manner where the risk is acceptable. Better rates if the loan comes with the backing of the persons CL in the event they default, loans capped by rank, loans restricted to known associates.

Personally, I'm a strong believer in the old saying "Never loan someone anything you wouldn't be willing to give them". However, as there is a demand for loans, there will be people who step in to fill the gap in the market. If they chose to do so, it should be at their own risk. Hard coding fail safes into the game, especially for something which isn't actually required, seems a step too far in my humble opinion.
Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Business District Ideas
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL