Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 11:41:14
Page:  1 
NBFs debating society. Started by: NewBestFriend on May 11, '09 12:45
You are walking down the street yadda yadda yadda and you see a poster on the wall outside one of the local speakeasies. It says:

NEW BEST FRIENDS DEBATING SOCIETY

Having arguments in the street is a way in which many Mafioso, young and old, enjoy spending their time. Because of this I thought it would be pertinent to share a few tips on how to engage in discourse without a) looking like an idiot, b) never being able to talk to your opponent again or c) getting killed.

1- Don't get personal. Just because you disagree with someone is no reason to insult them. Remember you disagree with their views not them themselves. This especially applies if they are a higher rank than you. If you are a much higher rank than them you can be a little looser with this one - but ignore it entirely and people might begin to see you as a troublemaker.

2- Avoid nitpicking. Nitpicking is when you choose to ignore the main thrust of someone's argument to concentrate on a trivial detail or grammatical error. You are given an opportunity to voice your opinion in the streets so you should use it. If instead of defending yourself against a series of accurate points against you, you focus on the one tiny detail your opponent may have got wrong you will look foolish.

3- Avoid logical fallacies. The most common of these used in the street include twisting the opponents words into a different argument that you then easily refute (straw man) e.g So your basically saying ......? that's so stupid because.... (when in this case the person hasn't been saying anything of the sort). Another fallacy is something Butt-Ox pointed out recently so I shall quote him - 'A "false dilemma" is a logical fallacy where someone tries to point out a flaw in your argument by offering a set of alternatives (the dilemma) under the guise that they are the only two options available.' There are many other logical fallacies but you should be able to avoid all of them by becoming more rigorous in your use of logic.

4- Avoid Jumping on the Bandwagon. I know some of you cannot contain yourself when someone puts down an original well thought out point of view. Sure you can agree with them but try not to put down your own rehashed version, especially if it has already been done. Multiple times. It makes you look like a copycat who does not have confidence in his own opinions.

5- Keep calm. An argument is never dead, people have been arguing the same topics for centuries without there ever being a definitive win. You don't HAVE to throw in the towel by calling your opponent an idiot, telling him to stop whining, shut up or bringing up the fact that we're in the Mafia and so we don't have free speech. Sure you can stand on your rank but its much better to pursue this tactic BEFORE the argument has started. If you do it half way through an argument people will wonder why and conclude that you may have bitten off more than you can chew.

There is space below for any feedback you may have.
Report Post Tip
I disagree.
Report Post Tip
Walked right into that one didn't I?
Report Post Tip
*walks over wondering who NewBestFriend is talking too*

*thinks to himself, "Spooky, must be a ghost or something"*

*looks around but sees nothing*

Well my friend I AGREE.

I agree with anything that is for the betterment of our community!

Some will disagree, some always do, but that's what makes your society that much better.

Your post states the way to go about things, unless of coarse you're of higher status, in this case superiority will show through on any subject.

*leaves NewBestFriend to finish up with his ghost*
Report Post Tip
Hmmmm.... was all that posted on the poster?

Somehow, NewBestFriend has a few relevant points... If some of the advice is followed, results in the betterment of society, and a healthier general well-being (if you get what I mean).
Report Post Tip
It was more of a billboard.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: NBFs debating society.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL