Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 06:19:22
Page:  1 
A quota to fill Started by: Decker_White on May 23, '09 19:48
I've been spendin' a lot of time on these streets lately. Maybe you haven't noticed me much on account've I've been mostly in the background, keepin' quiet. No point in me talkin' to you all unless I've got a point to make, right? That's what I'm gettin' at actually. Lotsa people been out here, talkin' up a storm jus' to hear themselves speak. That's how it seems at least.

No one can argue that we've placed a lotta value on a guy's public face. Someone achieves a higher rank or a position of status and everyone's like, "Who the hell's that schmuck?" if he doesn't speak up now and then. People are expected to make appearances out here. Families might base important decisions, such as promotions, off of a guy's street presence. You get the idea.

I figure the argument for this is that it's a good way to measure up someone's activity. Fred's made nine thousand public appearances. Fred's clearly passionate and Fred's got the ability to communicate. Fred deserves to be promoted and given a shiny new HQ. Or does he?

I've got a feelin' that this isn't exactly gonna be the most popular of discussions, but I think there's too much talkin' and not enough bein' said.

Take me for example. I could talk your goddamn ear off about baseball. We could talk Tigers for hours. Hell, I was there in '34. I even got Ducky in the ribs with an apple. You remember the Gashouse Gang, right? I mean, what the fuck was that?

Anyway, you see what I mean. Talkin' about the Tigers is great an all but it doesn't make me a better Mafioso. It doesn't show that I've earned anything (except maybe some acknowledgement for bein' awesome). If I had discussions like that every day, yeah, I'd be active, but I also wouldn't have the skills necessary for the higher ranks or to run a family.

What I'm gettin' at is that we've got to put more emphasis on quality over quantity. We can't just look at a number and make assumptions about a guy's work ethic or abilities. I know a guy that knows a guy that does nothin' but say, "congratulations!" at every opportunity; he's got more public appearances than most, but what does that prove?

For a guy that's out here tryin' to get everyone to maybe think before speaking, I sure've said a lot. I'll leave it at that for now.
Report Post Tip
Yeah, didn't those Redbirds beat the Tigers 11-0?

Baseball aside, it is important to look at a person's substance. One would assume, however, that out of 9,000 posts, Fred has to have said something of value. It is difficult, however, to judge. Do you want someone promoted to a leadership position who no one knows? Of course not. Neither do you want to promote someone who wanders around babbling like an idiot at every opportunity. It would be a full time job to transcribe every word spoken by everyone eligible for a promotion and decide if what they said was worthwhile or not.

I agree it's important to be productive when you talk out loud. Like Mark Twain said, "It's better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are an idiot, than open it and remove all doubt." But, he also said, "Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit, you would stay out and your dog would go in."
Report Post Tip
Do you know of anybody that has been given an HQ just based on the number of street appearances?

Speaking of things we see too much, I am seeing too many people questioning who gets an HQ and they even go as far as to claim why they think people are given an HQ.

You still have a point, my dear DW, but I think you will be muddying the waters when you try to judge something without all the information. You can certainly question a speech since you were there and you heard it, but I'm sure that every Auth was given with care and deep thought by the higher authority giving the Auth.
Report Post Tip
Hmmmm...that sounds familiar. Oh that's right. I've said that before. :) So, I must agree with some of what you say. I dislike when I see somebody coming out here just to say something like "congratulations" or my favorite. "Good point."

Why do people come out here just to say that? I can think of no other reason than for the hope that coming out here and writing 15 letters (not even 15 words, just letters) will garner you some respect, or notice by crewleaders, godfathers, or the Gods.

So, I'll agree with the statement: quality ovre quantity. And you look at me and wonder how many of my four hundred and something appearances have been statements like "congratulations" or "good point" and I happily say - absolutely none of them.

So, while I believe your presence on the streets is highly important - I don't think you coming out here and say ing one word is presence at all.
Report Post Tip
A very good point, Signore White, and well made too.

I must admit, if I listen in on a debate or speach, I rarely take note or conciously remember who has said what in response, and if it was worth my time listening. However, with that said, I knew coming to listen to what you had to say would be worth my time, as it has in the past, so I guess quality does stick out in one's mind more so than you would think.

I know Godfather Pollitt, for example, always makes a decent point, and so I make time for him and whatever he has to say.

That doesn't mean I don't for others, but there is a certain... repuatation that builds over time, within the memory bank of a person. And some names stick out more than others.
Report Post Tip
That is also sadly true. There is no bad publicity as long as your name is spelled right. I would imagine not everyone listens to everyone hoping that everything they say is important. They probably just remember hearing the voice. Might it be also the responsibility of the populace to pay attention to that which is said?
Report Post Tip
I'm not bothered by people who comes to the streets speaking nonsense,hell some of them are even amusing sometimes.I find annoying when there is 4 pages long debate and everything is said in first 5 responses,then all rest of them just rephrase first 5 over and over again and just call them their own.
Report Post Tip
Heh, such is life, Grudge.

Mister White is correct, however. While the public opinion of someone is usually based on their conduct and street appearances, I'm not a fan of short, choppy replies myself. I'm generally a quiet person, however. I speak when it piques my curiosity. I speak when a decent point is brought to the streets that hasn't seen much attention in the past. The streets, while not entirely made for debate, is the hotbed for new ideas, new ways to view something, and the like. However, I also am in favor of balancing those views; Too many times have I seen a debate light up the temper to the point where bitter words are exchanged leaving a bad taste in everyone's mouth at the end of the day, all in the name of expressing your views.

With that said, I fully support opinions, ideas, and debates which are held in a modest fashion; with general meaning , as you said, Mister White. While some judge with their amount of street appearances, to get a truly decent insight into that person, a good amount of research in, they will eventually have to speak for themselves for a time or two.

It matters not how often they do so, as long as they speak when it counts.
Report Post Tip
nods in agreement

I agree 110% I do not think simple yes, no and maybe so responses as I call them do anything for you. If anything it makes you look like a clown of sorts.

There is another side to that though which is unfortunate. Some of our better linguist's get discouraged from time to time because it seems like unless you are announcing a major promotion or calling out a GF or Leader you get ignored, regardless of the level of work or time you have put into it. I am not saying this is true for everyone or even the reality just the perception by some.

In order to make Quality over Quantity important, people need to make it just as important to articulate their likes or dislikes about something posted on our light post's that has taken clear effort and time.

leans against a mailbox
Report Post Tip
Godfather Adrian, I am in no way questionin' the judgment of our leaders. I mentioned the HQ thing just to make a point. I'm certain there's a lot more that goes into pickin' the next guy to go bold, but for the sake of my argument, I thought I'd toss it in there.

Anyway, I agree that it'd be impossible to completely track what people've said in order to determine their worthiness for whatever (as Dr Pickles mentioned), which is why I wouldn't suggest it. What I'd like is for people to change their attitudes about speakin' out here. Don't jus' think, "oh, so-and-so doesn't deserve to be a consigliere. He's only made fifteen appearances in the streets." Thankfully, as Mr Capizzi mentioned, most people do build up reputations which allow them to advance in this world and this is more common than being required to make so many speeches or have so many appearances here.

Godfather Pollitt, you've got the right idea there. That's exactly why people come out and say a few words here an' there. It's not because they have anything to say. It's because they wanna say they're more active than others. They want tangible proof that they're worthy of recognition. Fuckin' ridiculous if you ask me.

Godfather Vicodin, you and me--we've got the same mindset about talkin' in public. When it's something interestin' and I have a good response, I'll say something. But don't tell me that I haven't been active jus' 'cause I haven't said "congrats" to every one for every rank reached.

And yeah, Dr Pickles, they sure as hell did. The Tigers showed 'em in '35 though.
Report Post Tip
Quality is certainly more important than quantity, but unless you are a fucking retarded inbred idiot, it should not be very difficult to have both. It does not need to be a case of either/or. Yes, we are well aware that some people throw spam and other processed meats all over their HQ's in order to get themselves noticed. Then you also have people who run out their doors, yell "Congrats!", then run back inside whenever some half-wit finds it necessary to inform the entire country that one of their own has earned a new rank. These guys may have larger numbers on their I.D. cards, but they are not fooling anyone. Street credibility is gained by being remembered for your street appearances, not for having any particular number.

Be very careful before advocating that it is unimportant to make yourself seen and heard in the streets. These streets are the center of our collective existence. In fact, don't ever say that it is not the measure of a mobster. It absolutely is. Our thing is not just based on crime, but more importantly, it is based on communication. Without it, we are just like several other criminal organizations on other shores where a bunch of brain-dead mutes run things. God forbid it ever becomes like that here, so don't go around discrediting street presence.

Also, Adrian, I couldn't help but overhear your comments:

I'm sure that every Auth was given with care and deep thought by the higher authority giving the Auth.

Really, now? Deep fucking thought, indeed. Don't burst a brain vessel.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: A quota to fill
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL