Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 07:12:47
Page:  1 
Great Power, Greater Responsibility (Part 1) Started by: RichardRizzo on May 25, '09 17:33
In May of 1929, there was a 7 year old boy playing with his dog in the yard of his house in a nice Chicago suburb. He looked just like his dad, except the big eyes, which belonged to his Sicilian mother, Lynn. Most of the people in the neighborhood wondered if he would grow up to be like his dad, some hoped not. His father was, as the papers called it, and some of the older neighbors did too, a Mafia Don. The boy had heard these rumors, but shook them off. He always wondered what the hell the Mafia was, but his dad always said it didn't exist. Don Giovanni Dye, one of the most powerful men in Chicago, had made sure his young son and beautiful wife were taken care of. While he didn't get anything flashy, as it wasn't his style, his house was a two level house, very well decorated. Most of the things Don Dye had given to his family were paid in what some called "blood money". His wife never looked at what her husband did like others did. He was in a society of Italians that existed from the old country, her husband was an average Joe, making money where and how he could. His son, Carmine Dye, was oblivious to all of this. He just knew that his dad was well respected in the nieghborhood, and hoped to one day grow up to be just like him. While Carmine played with his dog, his mother came out onto the porch.

"Carmine! Make sure you stay in the yard, and don't let that dog lick you like that, his mouth is full of germs!"

With her hands on her hips and watching her son do exactly the opposite of what she had just said, she rolled her eyes and walked back into the house as all her son replied back was, "Ok Mom!"

As Carmine and his black lab, Champ, threw a ball around in the yard, it bounced off a fence post and rolled into the street. Thinking last and acting first, he ran into the street. What happened next wouldn't of happened had Lynn or Giovanni been outside.

"Hey kid! Get outta the way!" A man yelled out of a car, his horn blaring a warning to the kid who was frozen in fear. BOOM. The car hit Carmine and he flew a couple feet. His dog would of been hit too if he hadn't gotten scared and moved from the sound of the horn. Hearing the man yell, "OH MY GOD! KID! ARE YOU OK?! TALK TO ME KID!", Lynn ran out of the door, a look of horror on her face, she screamed and ran towards her son. Kneeling on the ground, holding Carmine's bleeding head, she looked the man in dead in his eyes.

"What did you do?! Look what you did to my son! You bastard."

The man tried to explain to Lynn as calmy as he could, "I'm sorry Ma'am. He came outta no where, I honked and yelled but he just didn't move. It was an accident."

A week later at the funeral home, people flooded in to pay respects to Carmine and his parents. An older gentleman who worked for the funeral home stood at the entrance dressed in all black, his hair neatly groomed and hands folded in front of him. As people from the neighborhood came in, he guided them to the viewing room where little Carmine's body laid.

"Are you here for the Dye Funeral?" The man would ask in a whisper, once they nodded he would point to a room right behind him. The huge oak doors were opened, all you could see from the hall was the furniture, which held some family members and friends. At the back of the room, under soft light with music playing was the casket. Two larage flower arrangements framed both sides. Carmine was dressed in his church clothes, a rosary wrapped around his little hands, and a small white teddy bear with yellow lace wrapped around the neck.

Sitting in the middle of the group, were Lynn and Giovanni. Both dressed in black, Lynn in a dress and heels, Giovanni in a suit. People would come up and offer their condolences, Lynn would shake their hands, try to smile and tell them thank you. Giovanni sat there, his eyes transfixed on his son. No smile, nothing. The look on his face was one of anger, sadness, guilt, and frustration. He sat there, wondering why this happened.

A man almost the same age as Giovanni walked into the room, holding flowers and a baseball signed by none other than The Babe. He briskly walked over to the casket, placed the baseball by Carmine's right hand, said a prayer and crossed himself. Turning around he made eye contact with Giovanni. Instanly, Giovanni knew his long time friend and Captain, Cecil Tintura, had something he wanted to talk about. Cecil walked over to Lynn's side, handing her the flowers, kissing her cheek and saying, "Lynn, how ya doin' hun? If there's anything I can do, don't hesitate to ask." Lynn smiled, she had always liked Cecil. He handed her the flowers and as she smelled them she looked up at him, "Thanks Cecil, that means a lot to me and Giovanni."

Putting his hand on Lynn's shoulder, Giovanni told her that he was going to step outside and talk to Cecil, if she needed anything, that's where he would be. Nodding understandingly, Lynn sat down and took up her duty of shaking hands and pretending not to be as hurt as she really was.

Giovanni had made it outside before Cecil did, despite Cecil leaving the room first. He paced back and forth impatiently, waiting for Cecil to open the door and come outside, when he finally did, Giovanni rushed him, getting so close that he could tell Cecil had very lightly added his favorite cologne. "So? What'd you find out?" Giovanni's index finger pressed none too lightly into Cecil's chest. He got the message. "Take it easy, I talked to a cop friend of mine that did the police report. After the guy who hit Carmine got wind of who you were, he skipped town. Turns out, the dumb shit went to Arizona. Thought he could get away from us and the cold. We got his address, full name, and what type of car he drives. Me and Tony can be there in two days, and handle this."

Thinking while Cecil was talking, Giovanni ran his hand over his mouth, already having a better idea. "No, this is mine. Something personal. Tell Tony to get lost, three's a crowed. You and me, we head to the airport and get down there tonight."

To Be Continued...
Report Post Tip
Great start to your story, cant wait to read more of it.
Report Post Tip
Nice story, I'm waiting for part 2
Report Post Tip
Very good writing. Can't wait for part 2
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Great Power, Greater Responsibility (Part 1)
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL