Get Timers Now!
X

May 06 - 17:22:02
Page:  1 
Fists of Iron or Love? Started by: Return_of_Ghost on Jun 01, '09 21:43
Return_of_Ghost floated out into the streets looking for something to do when he saw a mob of people gathered during the local union meeting. The man who was running the meeting asked him to give a speech concerning the world we live in. Accepting the offer he went up in front of the crowd and began to speak.

Good evening, ladies and gentlemen.

In this world, leaders can choose to direct their followers in many different ways. Some choose to rule with an "Iron Fist" and force their opinions and decisions upon others. Others choose to lead with "Fists of Love" in which they include more people in the decision making process but are still firm with their decisions. During this speech I'm going to examine what I feel to be the two extremes of leadership styles.

Ruling with an Iron Fist would be what many would deem as the most acceptable way for a leader to act. Theres no arguing that the traditional approach to leadership is to accept your leader's word as law, and for good reason. The most general reasonings are often... "The average mafioso/a would not be able to understand the reasonings of the leader from the outside." and "Even once you become a member of the family, the leader has a knowledge of events you do not, so why would you question his judgement?" The leader would also be the person with the most experience and understanding of our way of life.

Leading with an Authoritarian style would most often be associated with men and women who have a large amounts of experience themselves but don't feel their families have enough experience to make decisions themselves. Also these people tend to be the most demanding and most traditional in their interpretation of the way of life that we lead.

Return_of_Ghost takes a short drink out of his hip flask while he momentarily gathers his thoughts.

With all of that being said the other extreme would be a more futuristic way of looking at this idea. A more teamwork-oriented approach would be a more inclusive feel to the same heirarchal system we have already implemented. The leader would still be the leader who has the final say in making decisions, but he puts more faith and trust in his lower structure. A leader with this philosophy would be more concerned with how each decision effects the people who are in his organization. Also while he may still make the decisions he would often offer a more authoritative approach. This would include approaching his members for their opinions or explaining the reasoning behind his decision making even when it would not be "required".

In other words this leadership style is a more delegated and inclusive approach to running an organization. While a leader may never share information anyone but his direct advisors this type of leadership would show more interest in the opinions and feelings of the people who he leads.

Return_of_Ghost reached for his hip flask again and realized it was empty. With a surprised look upon his face he began talking faster, looking for a quick exit

With all of that being said, what style of leadership do you think you appreciate and respect the most? Personally I feel the "fist of love" or authoritative approach offers more for the people in the community who are the least acclimated to our society. While the "iron fist" or authoritarian approach offers more for the people who have more experience in this thing of ours.

Return_of_Ghost, ran off to find the nearest speakeasy for a drink before he died of thirst.
Report Post Tip
Right after coming from a crowd of mobsters, she enocunters another topic of discussion

Dear, let me leave you a quick deal.

LOVE IS ALWAYS GOOD.

A leader that loves, shall be loved.
Report Post Tip
A leader that can hand out justice, without being hated can go a long way. Captains are put in place to help, Consigleire's and Underboss' are put in place to help. Wether it be on deciding who's next to be Made, what to do about construction jobs, and so on.

If a Boss can let it be known he/she can either love you and respect you, or hate and dispise you, the people in their crew can make up their minds on how to go about talking to their Boss. The idea is to be firm, but not to the point where the last face you see is your Underboss', behind the barrel of his gun.

"Never eat alone." Always a good motto to go by.
Report Post Tip
Prophet looks around the near-silent crowd and stands up.

In today's society, one of the things our CLs need to look out for is called "Newbie Inflation". It's a term used to describe the massive amount of new civilians and thugs walking around town from off the boats. I recall a point where Godmother Marietta mentioned the growth since a year ago, and it was astounding. We're expanding.

The reason I bring up the "expansion" topic is because that's the only reason we really have "fists of love" leaders. New guys come here, and are barely able to talk straight. So, the CLs, or someone designated to that purpose within the crew, teaches them how to be a model mobster. This requires that initial kindness to begin with. One that I'm sure will not pass in time. Another subject that has been brought up many times is "Recruiting". In some cases, the entire upper structure of a family will reach out to un-sponsored individuals with the desire to have them in their family. While this is very effective, it also has the possibility of letting in a few bad apples. In the old days, newbies had to come to the upper structure. That proved their will and perseverance. They had to speak with the leaders of families. That proved intelligence and wisdom. Never mind, I'm getting a bit off track.

As Jenna said, a leader that loves, shall be loved. But, there's another way to look at that. A leader that loves, shall be taken advantage of. However, in modern society, the "Fists of Iron" population is depleting. They were effective, but not always the most-liked. Personally I'd like to hear Butt_Ox's thoughts on this, as he is one of those I consider to be a "Fists of Iron" mafioso.

Prophet sits and awaits another response to this fascinating topic.
Report Post Tip
Rule with zeee Iron Fist!!!! muahaha!!!
Report Post Tip
I believe that while a mafioso has done nothing wrong, you should be helpful and polite with them, being a friend to them as much as you possibly can. As soon as they do something wrong however, you fuck them up good and proper and make sure that they have learnt their lesson.

What I mean is, don't be an arsehole for no reason. Enforce the rules with an iron fist, but make sure that they know if they have done nothing wrong, they can always count on you.

Vehellione.
Report Post Tip
I think there's gotta be a differentiation between your boss and your friend, and that's the key.

When you're the boss, you're responsible for the well-being of your entire family. Ultimately, every decision comes down to you and if you aren't willin' to make those decisions, you shouldn't be the boss (and someone should maybe see that you're removed from the role). This isn't to say that you've gotta be an asshole though. You have to be firm in your actions and your family's got to have faith in your ability to lead. As soon as that faith's gone, you've no longer got control.

So, how do you keep your family in line without being the aforementioned asshole? Make them realize that you know what you're doing. Some people take this to the extreme and inform not only their family, but the entire goddamn world about their every move. I don't personally think this is the right way to go about it. Instead, recognize the strengths of your Made Men, and take advantage of them. Ignoring your Made Men is a waste of a valuable resource, leads to disunity, and makes your life harder. If your family's run well, your family will recognize it.

And I may be alone in this, but I don't think the boss should be everyone's friend. If you're some goomba that's got no use other than makin' money, then you shouldn't be advising the boss on his war policy. You probably aren't seein' the whole picture. Get out of his office. Chances are--if the boss has any idea what he's doin'--he's already got a good consigliere. Once you're Made, then things'll change, but don't start thinkin' that you two are now buddy-buddy and that you're running things.
Report Post Tip
As is often the case, I think the answer is somewhere in the middle. Too much of the iron fist and people will easily turn against you given the chance. Too much lovey dovey and people will often take advantage and/or find it very condescending.

Finding a balance is the only way to a good leader, to me. No harm in being respectful, friendly, polite or whatever for the most part, but why be afraid to shoot someone in the chops if they need reminded of the boundaries.

I think there's gotta be a differentiation between your boss and your friend, and that's the key.

Great point.
Report Post Tip
To be honest, I think the phrase "Iron Fist" needs to be further defined. Is this just a way of leading- keeping to the traditional La Cosa Nostra tier system where nobody but their closest advisors speak to them? Or can it be an attitude- someone who won't take shit from anyone, regardless or rank or stature in This Thing of Ours? On another side of the dice, could this also be seen as someone who simply lays out rules, expects their soldatos to follow them and enforces them? I am a woman who is firm in her rules and beliefs, and the people working for me know that and respect that. If I don't swagger around with my gun constantly in my hand does that make me less of an "Iron fist"?

But who are we kidding. It's me we're talking about. I know that many people would probably define my style as more of a "Love" thing. I encourage my associates, I try to motivate my associates. Yet I do not agree with what Prophet just said, in that "A leader that loves, shall be taken advantage of.". This doesn't mean I'm baking cupcakes in the HQ while everyone is running around plotting how to screw Marietta out of a buck or pull the wool over her eyes. Because I choose to pass on orders rather than bark them does not make me any less authoritative, or make my resolve and position 'weaker' in the eyes of others. I don't believe this makes the more "experienced" mobsters in my ranks feel any less valued either, as I constantly challenge and force people to grow within this world. You can ask any of my associates if they believe the same- but I feel that I love my family and my organization, but I won't hesitate to put a bullet between the eyes of someone that jeopardizes our business. My men and women know that I would go to great lengths for them, but on the flipside they respect my rules, and know that if my rules are broken they will take their punishments like an honorable, respectful mobster.

That rant leads me to "which style do I prefer" or think works more effectively. My bloodline has worked for and with many different Crew Leaders throughout the years, and I find now that the ones favorably marked in my foremother's or father's diaries are always the leaders that cared about their family, the family cared about them, who also didn't waffle when it came to crunch time. What does this mean? I believe it is the mobsters that manage to find a perfect, harmonious balance between fists of iron and love that have been some of the most successful leaders in this world. You cannot be successful without having a bit of both. My ancestors have always shied away from families that have had an unnecessarily brutal, for lack of a better word, "assholish" upper structure, but have also pulled away from those families that have force fed spoonfuls of extra helpful goodness down their throats.

The women and men in my family-line have loved the leaders who made them feel good about what they were doing, but still intimidated the living shit out of them. Love is a great approach, but love isn't going to save a ship when it needs to get rid of dead-weight when it's sinking, either.

Everyone in an organization wants to feel included. A good Boss is someone who motivates the board of directors and executives. A great Boss is someone who motivates the entire company. A phenomenal Boss is someone who motivates an entire company, but the entire company knows "If I fuck up my portion of the industry line, I'm out on my ass faster than I can say 'Sorry'."
Report Post Tip
I know my opinion may or may not matter to you, but I thought I might state it none the less.

I've been living by a rhyme I heard in a song a while back.

It went:

Love those who love you, but don't let love f*** up your vision.

How much love did your loved ones have when you were Broke or doing time in Prison?

I've always been one to bend over backwards for my family, but hearing this made me change my perspective. Its fine to do everything you possibly can for your family, but when the family doesn't show you love or appreciation, it truly does make you feel like no one especially when you, yourself, are going through a rough patch. You gotta show love sometimes in order to create something that will look after itself and one another.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Fists of Iron or Love?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL