Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 10:45:02
Page:  1 
To trust or not to trust Started by: JimLuccesse on Jun 08, '09 19:00
*Jim Luccesse walks down a busy street in Detroit, looking everywhere to find someone he knows. There are lots of faces he knows, he came in contact with but... the ones that he loves to see don't seem to be around.*

Great... Nobody to cheer for me.

*He mutters as he meets a wooden soap box with the corner of his eye. Jim hurries to where the box is situated, gives it a kick, just to make sure it can sustain his weight and, after shrugging, he steps on it and turns to where he can hear some laughter generated by a group of people*

Hello?

*He asks with a low voice. Seeing as nobody heard him, he clears his throat and raises and deepens his voice at the same time*

Hello-oh? May I have your attention, please?

*Raises an eyebrow seeing the group of people stop laughing and turning towards him, with a 'wtf do you want?' look on their faces*

My name is Jim Luccesse and I'm not an alcoholic. I don't smoke pot. I don't do speed and I don't snort coke. I don't tell any lies, either...

Did you believe me? I hope you did, because otherwise I can't make my point.

*Jim coughs briefly and continues*

My question, or better yet 'questions', today are these: How do you decide if someone you don't know very well is telling the truth? Or lying, for that matter? And most important, how can you tell if someone deserves your trust?

I hope you can help me out with this. I find it really hard to trust people lately and I want to see if I'm the only one or it's something normal.

*Looks at the few people that listened to him and bows slightly before jumping off the soap box*
Report Post Tip
I think it's the feeling you have towards the person who you don't know.
Report Post Tip
Jimmy L.

Welcome to the underworld.

Liars, thieves and murderers. Many many folks who qualify as all three.

Trust is difficult thing to accumulate. It's a chain the hopefully binds together parties on common ground.

Jimmy L, in Our Thing, need to consider the common ground and mutuality that ensures neutrality.
Report Post Tip
Trust is something earned on a unique basis in unique ways. Each person has to decide how much trust to place in someone.

To tell if someone deserves trust is a difficult thing to manage, and it usually gained through a long series of working with someone. I find it hard to give trust to those I do not know well - so what do we do? Baby steps my friend. It is a dirty business and we have to know people well when giving them steps of power. Trust is a big issue.

There are usually ways to tell if someone is lying, based on what factual evidence you do know, if it is something that you don't have any way of proving then you have to rely on the trust you have in the person and the situation it involves.

It boils down to keeping your own tabs on people. If you can't put trust in them then do your best not to. But we can't just go around all day not trusting anyone because that is bad for business. Find what you believe demonstrates trust, then use that ideal to find people who can do so satisfactorily.

It is good to make connections in this business to keep trust levels higher, but there are never any guarantees. It is all part of the way life works. If you cannot find yourself someone to trust, I would suggest looking harder. The family is the place to start, because the family is where true trust is brewed.
Report Post Tip
Enters The Riddle

Dun Dun Dunnnn. . . Everybody on the streets see's Riddle in a dark corner with both his hands over his mouth to maximize his entrance sound effects. He enters into sunlight then stops short of Jim. Making sure he positions himself so that all can hear. Taking a flask out of his coat, he takes a sip to clear his throat.

My opinion.

In this world, its dog eat dog. I personally would say trust no one. Not even your shadow. The second you put your trust in somebody, you let your guard down and you become ineffective. A safety hazard to not only yourself but to your family also. I personally think we have two things going for us, Your word and Respect. There is no trust between wolves and lions. Otherwise you become a sheep for others to prey upon.
Report Post Tip
husbands and wives cheat on and lie to each other steady

people tell stories of easter bunnies and some fat dude in a red suit

Dead pets always seem to have "RUN AWAY"

and these are things outside the mob, you expected anything less?
Report Post Tip
Arriving late to the brewing issue dear to hearts of those in power, Retribution manages to catch the words of ApolloJustice. Moving through the crowd toward the soapbox where a pensive JimLuccesse stood, she began to formulate a response...

Well, JimLuccesse, trust should be a scaled privilege based on not only rank but on the person and his or her way of reacting to the world around. That's not to say that Riddle's opinion is not unwarranted...nodding in his direction, she went on......rather that a less severe form of it should be applied to the lower ranks.

The way I see it, as a newly Made member of my family, I've been given the trust to represent my family in the streets. To show the other families that I'm a competent and well versed individual that has earned where she is. That I have shown respect and dedication to my family as well as the Code we all live by.

Judge not only on how you see somebody but on how the world sees someone. With that in mind, err towards caution and you should do fine.
Report Post Tip
Hope for the best assume the worst. Don't lend money to people if you don't mind saying goodbye to it and them. Don't put your life in anyone elses hands and remember that no one does anything out of gratitude. If you want gratitude buy a dog.
Report Post Tip
*walking around, Vanty sees this people talking and after listening for a while finds out the topic*

Interesting.

*lights himself a cigar and decides to give his opinion even though nobody asked for it*

A good poker player once said: "Trust everyone but always cut the cards".

So in this thing of ours this should be : "Trust only your family, cause in our life that's the only thing that matters , but always watch your back".

*walks off , not really finishing his point*
Report Post Tip
menoth ponders JimLuccesse's question before venturing his reply.

I don't think you can tell if someone is deserving of your trust straight away, you have to get to know someone a little bit before you find out what type of person they are, and once you know that you should have a feeling whether they can be trusted or not. Trust is something that is earnt and not freely given, no one automatically deserves your trust, it is something that both parties work on as their relationship develops.

Saying that, i don't think you should automatically distrust people, you have to give them the benefit of the doubt, otherwise you will be a very lonely person.

As for whether someone is telling the truth or not, this is a little harder to answer. I think people deserve benefit of the doubt, you cant instantly think people are lying to you or you may drive the people you can trust away, but then again, you cant instantly believe 100% everything people tell you because it may not be true. Truth and lies are something that you have a gut feeling on and have to figure out as you go along, there isn't a definite way to know someone is lying to you until you have actually caught them.

Menoth looks around embarrassed after putting his views in the open, and quickly pulls his trench coat tighter around himself and says to Leo his bodyguard "lets go", and quickly walks off down a near by alley.
Report Post Tip
Thank you all for your feedback. I heard some very good advice today and I would just like to add that, according to the old proverb "what goes around, comes around", if you show you're trustworthy, you will find people that deserve your trust in return.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: To trust or not to trust
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL