Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 09:44:43
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 
Rank vs Position Started by: Riddle on Jun 09, '09 09:27
Sometimes I think the bloodline thing goes too far though. Like when a Consigliere dies his son will sometimes get MORE respect than he ever did. As if the CL believes that a thug who happens to be his son is more trustworthy than his father, a consigliere at the height of his power. I don't know whether this comes out of pity, guilt, misplaced loyalty or whatever but one should remember that offspring are sometimes different from there ancestors, they often have a lot less to lose or want to take a new direction in life. Also sticking to the same blood lines leads to stagnation. I believe that if you're willing to promote someone to DON in you're family, the highest honour there is then you really should have already made that leap of faith to trust them with you're life and you should not need to rely on a thug who's father you knew to be RHM.

If you have a group of Consigliere's, Capos, MadeMen and Dons in your family and you don't trust any of them to hold a position then there is something very wrong and you need to take a look at why you are promoting these people.
Report Post Tip
Natalie wanders back into the discussion, holding vanilla ice cream. She throws away what's left and clears her throat, getting ready to speak.

"Well, Vlad, there are different levels of trust. Yeah, Don is a great honor, but what if you have three Dons in your family? You can't have them all be RH or LH. You can trust your highest ranking mobster in your family, sure. But if you trust a low ranking mobster more, why can't he be your right hand? I suppose it just depends on the person, but I know I would want the two people I trust most to be around me, not the highest ranking people I trust."

"It all comes down to personal preference. Some think rank holds higher priority over personal trust. Some think the other way around."
Report Post Tip
Here is my view on the situation

Disadvantages of having a thug as RHM:

Resentment from those who have worked for their rank

OOC: breaking from RP by treating people as exactly the same as their fathers

OOC: breaking from RP by having a thug as RHM

Not giving new blood a chance

Diluting the importance of rank

You should be able to trust high ranking members anyway, otherwise why have you promoted them?

thugs have nothing to lose

breaking the natural chain of command

Advantages of having a thug as RHM

OOC: you know that the thug IS the same person as his father so you trust him more.

If you believe that this one advantage of having the thug as RHM trumps all the disadvantages then yes you should feel free to use him. I for one do not see it that way and would make absolutely sure that I gave myself alternatives by only promoting those who I absolutely trusted.
Report Post Tip
"Well, as I've said, we have different views. I don't agree with a few of your points, but I understand where they are coming from. I just believe that trust, on a personal level, holds a higher place than rank, on a business level. The point that you wouldn't have promoted a high ranking member if you didn't trust them keeps coming up, and I've addressed that, and I'll address it again.

There are different levels of trust.

I trust quite a few people, but of course there are a few that I trust more than the others. Aren't there always?

Another important point is, if this thug has parent, how did the parent die?

If it was out of the control of the leader, then that mobster would be up there with the other high ranking players, and then I suppose it wouldn't make a difference.

And come on, who doesn't love breaking the natural flow of things?
Natalie laughs as she walks away...
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Rank vs Position
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL