Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 20:42:53
Page:  1 
Whats an awesome leader made of Started by: PeterPetrelli on Nov 07, '07 16:46
Peter flies into a large crowd of Mafioso in the middle of the street piled together like they have something on there minds

Here once again to start another discussion...

I want to know your views on what makes an awesome leader, we have had many in the past and I'm sure there will be more in the future. What has made these leaders stand out from the rest? I'm sure everyone has their own opinions of who was great and who they didn't like, though we all know by hearing there name months and months repeatedly after they have passed that they stood out, the ones that didn't would of got lost in time. Unless they were really bad they probably would of got remembered for that.

What do you have to do to be remembered? Is there some sort of criteria that you would have to follow to join the "greats" or is it that you just have to be different and have different ideas, maybe both...

I always thought that you would have to be the center of attention, everyone around would always have your name in the back of their heads, maybe thinking of how to impress you or planning on how to kill you, maybe just wondering what your going to do next. Is that what makes you great? Or is it that you have to have the majority adore you?

If you go back in time and think of the leaders you thought were great I'm sure names like: Ellis, MrEvilMan, UncleNicky, Kade, Slartibartfast, FlyingPig, Anita, Scotland would most likely show up. In this discussion could you also add one of the leader from the past or present if you really want and why you liked them as a leader, that could maybe help us figure out what makes a great leader and we will also get to reminisce on our parents past.
Report Post Tip
I rushed in here hoping the answer to the question "what's an awesome made of?" was going to be "cheese" or maybe even "tea-dunked bourbon biscuits", or something that Michael Aspel might have been investigating.

Way to let the community down. *shakes her head sadly*
Report Post Tip
Let me set you straight right now, there's a difference in "being one of the greats" and just "being remembered." You do not want the second option, or the third which is to be forgotten entirely. Here's a good example of why you shouldn't do terrible things just to stand out though... I'm relatively new, I haven't heard any of those past names and I really couldn't give a fuck less about them. They're the past, history, got nothing to with me. I might hear their stories someday, but you know what? It'll never matter as much as the present. That said, what matters is what you do while you're still alive, not what people know you did after you've kicked the bucket. The best thing you can accomplish is to be recognized and remembered while you're still living, in the good way. No matter how terrible or great you were, you'll eventually fade from time one way or another, just gotta do the best you can while still breathing.

With that cleared up, here's what I think makes an awesome leader:

- Good leadership skills. This is a must. If they can't lead, they're not leaders, just wannabes and useless ones at that.

- Charisma. If they're 100% assholes, that's probably what got them killed. I'm not going to appreciate or remember someone who makes me feel like crap all the time.

- Strength. I can't respect a weakling. If they let people step all over them, didn't defend themselves or their family and were unable to protect this thing of ours, they're not worthy of honor.

- Originality. This isn't as vital, though it certainly amplifies all of the above. Bringing something new to this thing of ours for the better will always earn points and make use more likely to remember them in a good light.

There's probably a lot more I haven't thought of right now, but I'll get back to this if I remember anything. Anyway, logic should pretty much dictate what makes a good CL and a bad CL. If all you want is to be remembered in general, chances are you won't be (or you'll be remembered for the wrong reasons). Keep that in mind.
Report Post Tip
If i had the answers i wouldn't be asking. :P
Report Post Tip
You should have included a question mark. It's not "asking" without it.
Report Post Tip
For some reason the topics won't let you add question marks, i should have just changed the title name.
Report Post Tip
Luke, I agree with most of what you said, but I think it is important to remember the great leaders of the past. Saying that they don't matter, is like saying history doesn't matter. There's an old saying that goes "Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it".

One of the problems these days, in my opinion, is many of the younger generation of mafiosi want to lead families without the experience to do so. The way to get experience is to learn from those who have done it before you, and have done it well.

One of the people my ancestors learned from was Don Robespierre. His greatest talent was turning his family into a cohesive unit where everyone felt important, felt they belonged there, and felt like they played an important role in family operations. He delegated responsibility broadly, so tha
Report Post Tip
I don't know why that's been happening to me so much lately...

ahem...so that everyone had something to do. There were very few who were warm bodies taking up space and earning cash.

When a leader is able to do this, he inspires loyalty in his members, and makes his family willing to die for him. Having that kind of loyalty is a key to longevity.
Report Post Tip
Good points maxwell, I agree. What I meant to say was that one shouldn't focus on being remembered, but on doing memorable things. Being remembered comes naturally if you do that. Anyway...
Report Post Tip
Hmmmm perhaps I'm reading more into this than I should do, but are you saying that only people with experience should be crew leaders? I have to disagree with that. =]

A good crewleader..hmmm

*thinks*

A man/woman that is not intimidated by others. One that knows it's not a popularity contest, your not here to please everyone but to raise a family as best as you can. Obviously a person who excels in leadership capabilities, doesn't have to make speeches every day. I think one of the most important one is a person who isn't friends with everyone. This would come clear when a war comes about.

=]
Report Post Tip
I'm actually trying to put out the complete opposite, my favorite legends were the likes of MEM and UN, who were first time crew leaders and became the most memorable. I just wanted to know how did they become so good, was it a talent, maybe luck or all down to hard work etc...
Report Post Tip
I like your ideas for what makes a good crewleader, Gaara, but I'll stand by my statement that they should have experience.

It seems like common sense to me. You don't go from working in the mail room to being CEO in one day. A Boss should have experience working in the various positions within a family before leading an entire family. It should be a gradual process. First you prove that you can manage a subcrew. Then maybe your son or daughter will take on Capo Bastone duties. Maybe a little later down the family line, your lineage may work as a LHM or even a RHM. These two positions are where you actually get to learn how to deal with family problems and how to resolve them with other leaders.

Authing a leader without this sort of experience is like throwing a sheep to the wolves. It will be a short rule fraught with mistakes that could damage the bloodline's reputation.
Report Post Tip
Perhaps I misunderstood you Maxwell *curses the red vino under my breath* I agree with you on that part. That the person needs to work in different jobs within the family to gain the experience. And perhaps if they prove themselves well, take on a Crew Leader position, if and ONLY if they are agreed upon by the other Family Heads.

One thing that does annoy me slightly is the reoccuring CrewLeaders. Yes the ones who have had their fathers, mothers, grandfathers, grandmothers etc (you get the point) as head of a Family. And because of their family history, are put ahead most people in the race to become a crewleader. This in my eyes is the worst thing that could happen, and could contribute to the rise of Unauthed crews.

A problem for people to think about perhaps?

Not naming any names ;o)
Report Post Tip
Candy.

An awesome leader is made of candy.

Preferably something chocolatey.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Whats an awesome leader made of
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL