Get Timers Now!
X

May 19 - 11:25:26
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 
Who promoted THAT guy to Made Man? Started by: Odd on Jul 05, '09 12:03

I can clear this up for you.

When a person gets Made, he is only made into his family, but he is a mademan to anyone involved in our thing. The other families RECOGNIZE his status as a made man, because Cosa Nostra is a single entity made up of several subdivisions which we know as "families". Therefore, the Mademan has the status and privileges that go with his rank throughout the mafia.

The question you are asking doesn't make any sense, because when a mademan takes his oath, he swears allegiance to a particular family, as well as the to uphold the vows and traditions of Cosa Nostra as a whole. Made men do not just jump from family to family like a kid working various odd jobs. Of course, this is because in reality, families are perpetual. There is always a new leader to take the place of a former leader. Around these parts, things are a little different. Families can come and go. So...it is a normative question as to what a mademan should do when faced with the extinction of his family. To me, it is common sense that he should fight for his family or retire from the business, depending on the circumstances surrounding the downfall of the family. The oath of loyalty that he has taken seems crystal clear that this should be the result. Of course, we have many pathetic and disloyal cowards around here who are not even aware that being made involves taking an oath. Not much we can do about that except kill everyone.

So, to summarize a few points that should be absorbed:

- A mademan gets made into his own family, but his status is recognized throughout the mafia. There are rules and privileges regarding the status of being made, and these permeate the entire mafia. That is why a family will enforce the respect that is due a mademan in another family against their own members. - Technically, you can never be "unmade", but that is in the real world where mademen only work for one family for their entire lives. - Mademen do not switch families. - If you are looking for a new home, call a real estate agent. - If you are looking for a new job, contact someone who "knows the right people in the business". - I hate you all.

Report Post Tip

Absolut shakes Don Odd's hand and hands him a bottle of whiskey instead of a cigarette

I thank you sir for coming to mafiosi below you for insight on these problems. It shows how much you care what the mafiosi that surround you think. Have a splended day, I'm sure we'll pass each toher again sometime soon.

Report Post Tip

I'll take a moment to comment here:

Rank -- whether it be Goomba, Made Man or Godfather -- is not something to be taken lightly. The fact that the ranks up to Wiseguy are automatic, contributes to a commonly held belief that rank is an entitlement. This is never the case. No one is ever entitled to rank by virtue of just existing.

It was mentioned that not promoting people who are eligible can lead to resentment, boredom, going rogue, suicide, etc. So here is the question -- do you want those people Made in your family to begin with? What happens at higher ranks when it takes weeks (months) to get the next rank even if promoted immediately? If a gangster in your family does something stupid (shoots innocents, shoots at another families made, etc), there is a level of understanding that the person was new and the family is generally held accountable to fix the problem on its own. If a made man does it, it is harder to explain away. Because the reality is, a Made and above reflects more on the family than they do on themselves.

There is the great trick, when you promote someone to made man, you are in fact endorsing them to represent you and your family. Damage they can do to your families reputation is huge.

So, there was a discussion about demoting made men who come from other families. I think where the person comes from is totally irrelevant.

There should only be one question on the Boss' mind, "Do I trust this person to represent me?"

If I were a boss, and someone I had dealt with for generations was a homeless made man needing protection, I'd take them in as a made man on the spot. If it were a Made Man I had never met before, I'd let them know they'd be demoted for a time until I had time to get to know them and ask if they still wanted to join.

It may seem arbitrary, unlike fair systems of Do X and Y and Z then you'll be made. Point in fact, it IS arbitrary. And it probably should remain so, because the only factor that REALLY matters is one that can only be determined through a judgement call.

Report Post Tip

Marietta appears out of thin air. This takes her by surprise, but at the same time she sort of accepts it. Weird things happen around Odd all the time anyway. She takes a look over at the "WANTED: ODD DEAD" signs that are posted around on the street corners and shakes her head.

Hasn't anyone removed those yet? No. Damn, I'll try and find someone who will, then. Utterly childish, I tell you.

Either way, I'm here to address your original vent session. My apologies for not taking the time to respond to all of you personally, as many of you bring up lively and brilliant points. However, I'm doing my best over here. Diamonds are a girl's best friend, not lack of sleep, capiche?

Being at the top of the food chain is not an easy job. Trust me, I sympathize whole-heartedly, Mister Odd. I know it may be weird, considering how small my own personal HQ is these days, but I can clearly recall the days when I had to go through situations like these. Several times a day, some weeks. It was utterly horrible.

Anyway, we cannot stop people from revealing their true nature. As you said earlier, we cannot tell when, where or why someone will do something, or at what rank they'll do it at. The best thing we, as leaders can do, is be proactive. I know that you are the top Don of Philly, so as that role you have to sort of pull the most weight around your city. But some of it can also be portioned off.

I suppose what I am saying is, if you're tired of getting jerked around, which I'm sure many of us are, the best part is you have the power to change it. I personally have! I was tired of seeing the names of Detroit Made ranked and higher associates in the obits every day, for various idiotic stunts. So a few months back I put stricter (than I had before) restrictions on the promotions above Made Man. While I won't go into detail as to what those restrictions are (I'm a woman of mystery, as you can see), I can assure you it's made my job- as head honcho- a lot easier. Sure, we still have our "uh oh- idiot!" moments, but the amount of 'family' dead-weight in my city has been reduced significantly. This gives me more time to smoke a cigar, make a face because I don't usually smoke cigars and kind of hate them, cough a few times, gasp for air, scream at Rourke to bring me water, and do it all over again if I so choose. You too could be doing the same routine.

Whatever happens, I know you'll find a balance. It takes a big man to air his own laundry in the Streets; one that will most likely come up with a plausible solution as well. Though you can't cure stupidity, you can sure as fuck try.

And if all else fails, call my lovely daugh-erm, associate, Kates for a massage. She's really good at giving massages, among other things.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Who promoted THAT guy to Made Man?
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL