Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 20:48:06
Page:  1 
Crank Up The Stereo.Types. Started by: Cecil_Smith on Jul 05, '09 19:16

With this being a Mafia RPG, and tons of players coming and going everyday. Names like Vito, a lot of names ending with Corleone, and a lot of Italian sounding names in general. I wanted to ask some questions and gather some opinions.

Being Italian myself, and not the only one I'm sure. I'd like to get the view on some of the players that aren't Italian. What do you think of when you think of Italy, or Italian-Americans? Do you think every race has stereotypes?

Granted I know it's just a game, but I thought I'd get some player opinions. It was something I was thinking about.

Report Post Tip

I am Italian. My name is Dominick Rinaldi.

Of course there are stereotypes present... At 6 foot 2, 268 pounds and built like a brick house i fit the descriptions of Italians being large intimidating enforces very well...

As far as corleone, and fugedaboutit, thats more or less just having fun..

Italy is also very well known for desserts. We make some of the best in the world, as Italians tend to be better bakers <- stereotype \o/. So we also tend to be dipicted as overweight.

Gotta love stereotyopes!!!

Report Post Tip

Unlike Dom I'm English, German, Irish and quite a few other races. Ryan Cuthbert. Mostly English by I believe 60%.

Stereotypes surround the real world but it's always what people choose to do with them. I'm 6'6" 220 lbs and not too big or too small but I really am very laid back in real life. Around here though I sometimes come off like I'm flipping out, sometimes I do.

My girlfriends step fathers family is all Italian. Big family, but they're nothing like the stereotype. They all have law, engineering, business degrees. Their father was a doctor and mother the stay at home mother. The only stereotypes I saw was 1) big family 2) Always were full of food ha. But I don't argue with food!

Report Post Tip

This is a really interesting question. There will always be stereotypes not only based on your nationality but also on other aspects like colour of your skin. chosen religion or sexual preference.  I of all people am aware of that, being english living in scotland and even more so because of my religious choices. I suppose I am leading to the question.. where would we be witout stereotypes? as humans we have a tendency to judge people on there circumstances over there merits.But I do beleive that peoples opinions are changing all over the world. 

Report Post Tip

I think that every race, country, sex, whatever, has stereotypes. Like, when I think of Italy, I think of pizzas and pastas. When I think of Paris, I think of a tourist gettin' some.

Report Post Tip

When I think of italy i think of pizza and rich cultural past....but when i think of the poor 20's italian in new york i think of the mob just so they could survive

Report Post Tip

The thing about role playing games is that you often play a type of person that you know little about. This means that characters are often played as either stereotypes or anachronisms.

There are a lot of Italian sounding character names, but that makes sense as only men of pure Italian blood were ever Made into the mafia.

Report Post Tip

I highly agree with Jayne_Cobb.

Every race does have stereotypes.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Crank Up The Stereo.Types.
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL