Get Timers Now!
X

May 18 - 20:21:32
Page:  1 
(RP) Started by: FlyingMonkey on Jul 07, '09 10:57

Why do you put this in brackets? Is it because the large majority of people wouldn't cotton on to the fact it was an RP unless you stated so?

In fact, isn't everything done in the forum called "Street" an RP anyway? Considering this is an RP game, putting RP in the title of a thread which belongs in an RP only forum seems fairly redundant as far as I can tell.

And what's all this open RP nonsense? I get that means anyone can post, but anyone can post to any thread they like anyway. To say "This thread is open, you may post here". Again - it seems fairly redundant. Even more so when you consider that I've never seen a thread bearing the the tag (closed RP).

Actually, if people are using the tags (RP) and (Open RP), I'd have to go ahead and assume that any thread (RP) that is not specificed as being Open is in fact Closed, that's with a capitcal C.

What's the penalty for posting in a Closed RP? Is there one? Do I get chastised, demoted or even killed by my leader upon your request? If that's the case you should probably put something in your profile. "If you post in my RP (Closed) I'll lobby to your leader to have you shot." That would certainly put me off posting, which is even more heartbreaking as I quite like roleplaying and I may like the plot you have going on.

All these idiosyncracies of RP these days are too confusing for an old timer like me. I miss the days where someone would just throw up a thread and people would just post in it. All this closed, open clique nonsense just serves to put me off bothering.

Which is a shame really.

Report Post Tip

Nice blank reply there, good stuff.

I meant to say, sorry about the lack of all around coherency there, I'm at work and a bit squiffy. Still, the original point remains.

Report Post Tip

You're hitting a 10 out of 10 on the crotchety old man scale.

This has never really bothered me all that much. Whereas everyone would "cotton on" to the fact it was an RP without any tag, the simple truth is that some people prefer to roleplay with an established group, while others like the spontaneity of an open thread. Personally, I appreciate the parentheses, as they briefly let me know whether or not it would be polite to enter the story. Though I agree that just saying "(RP)" is redundant.

If you don't like the length of what's in the parentheses, I suppose you could try to lead some sort of (RP-O)/(RP-C) revolution.

Considering that "all these idiosyncrasies" essentially break down to an either/or that conveniently lets people know whether or not they're able to participate in something... maybe it's time to put you in a home, eh?

Report Post Tip

Also, what is "squiffy"?

Report Post Tip

It's the parenthesis I don't like. It's not a big thing, but it just bugs me, why tell me it's an RP? I'm sure I could garner this information myself.

Obviously, I could see a case in stating whether it's for public participation or not as it's quite convenient to know whether I'm allowed to post in a thread or not. :|||

Report Post Tip

I thought threads were labelled (RP) for two reasons:

1. The author was trying to let people know that they were looking for participation in their thread from outside parties and give people some room to let their creativity flow.

Closed RP's always seemed a bit elitist to me. I don't mind them overall, but I always felt like they were saying "hey, we're going to write a story and here it is, but you're not invited to come join in" like a sort of fancy party with a guest list that only lets in the posh upper crust.

2. The author was trying to draw out lengthy replies from outside parties and wanted to avoid two word answers.

Unfortunately with the widespread popularity of "good story" or "very nice read" posts, this idea has backfired.

I think people still use the (RP) idea simply because it has been around for a while. I guess maybe you could suggest that mario removes parentheses in Forum titles to help remove them?

Report Post Tip

I'm sure you could garner the information yourself, but why not add those two little letters for clarity?

"The Door(Open)" v. "The Door(Open RP)"

With the former... I am confused... are the parentheses part of the title... what in the devil is going on? With the latter, if I'm skimming down through the streets to find an RP I can jump into... BAM!... there I am.

Where's the beef?

Report Post Tip

Sorry chief, I'm trying to be bothered about this, but I'm totally not.

There are such glaring faults with our understanding of what "RP" actually is, any clarification on which RP story an author would welcome my participation in and which they wouldn't, matters extremely little. Although, admittedly, posting a closed RP in the streets seems to defeat the object of posting it at all and may as well be kept for your besties in your back alley.

This probably sounds like I'm griping at you particularly, as you happened to author both threads lately about tiny issues in the streets but I'm not. There appears to be a wave of complaining just for the sake of complaining about something. 

~T~

Report Post Tip

I'm going to complain about your ~T~ in every post.

~R~

Report Post Tip

Pipe down Cedric.

~T~

Report Post Tip

I believe that there are two type of speeches: the ones that promote a debate on a current issue and one that tells a story (RP). I agree that everything said out here is an RP, but it's very different to debate on a topic than to just narrate a story in which there is nothing to debate because it's describing events, not asking for opinions.

I have to agree with the fact that if the authors want the RP to be closed they should rehearse it elsewhere and come to post it when they have it all done. But on the other hand it can also be pretty frustrating to have a beautifully laid out beginning of a story and have a drunken homeless waltz by "in front of the camera" ruining the atmosphere created.

So, in my opinion, the "(RP)" tag does give useful information. Sorry.

Oh, and as far as "signing" your posts when you are done, I guess it makes sense in OOC Ave, but in the streets, where it is strictly oral communication, I am going to wonder what "wiggly line T wiggly line" means.

Report Post Tip

I think some people are just a little more or less irritable than others. I don't really care about this at all but it seems to bother the heck out of people like FlyingMonkey and co.

The only thing we can do is try to be open minded and try and live in peace and harmony amongst eachother on this big blue floating ball we call Earth. 

Report Post Tip

... hippie

Report Post Tip

every post int he streets is RP.

Having said that, when people put (RP) in the title, I specifically imagine it as the RP'd chracter RPing...

For example if I put up a thread that said (RP) in the title: It would be, ME (BJ) RPing my character (Odd) RPing another character. Its like Odd is is doing a "One Act" with a friend, I feel like giving a topic to Collin Mockery and then asking Drew Carrey how many points we get for singing the "Irish drinking song"

again, if you are in the streets, you are "RPing" already, putting (RP) turns you into an off broadway actor on a street corner fulfilling your dream of being on stage

and since we are on the topic --- why the "F" do people post "Closed RP's" in the streets, if you dont want people to participate, then take that shit to the back alley, the street is a social community. you dont want us involved? cool. ask me to read it? I'll politely decline, im not interested in reading a screenplay.

Report Post Tip

My biggest gripe is that these threads are referred to as "RP" threads, which, by negative implication, suggests that other threads are NOT roleplay threads. For example, when I go out to the street to make a speech, I am usually bitching and moaning about how fucking stupid something (or someone) is or offering enlightenment about a mafia element that is frequently misunderstood. Is this not roleplay? It is roleplay, because I am speaking as my character. Trust me, the guy behind the computer screen could not give a rat's ass whether some pimply-faced geek in St. Louis understands Omerta.

Roleplaying is NOT telling some story. Roleplaying is acting like your character, and THAT is what is so frequently lacking around here. People either act as themselves, don't understand when someone else is acting as their character rather than themselves, or do not act at all like a mobster. Acting like your character would act, and acting like a mobster would act, should be the really simple shit that any half-wit can comprehend. Once people can get that down, maybe we can move on to the intricacies of interactive stories, or as they are referred to in the current vernacular, "RP's".

Yes, I do hate you all, but I will add one more comment before departing. Having a "closed RP" (read: interactive story) is antithetical to the purpose of these stories. The original purpose of these types of stories, and the reason they were ever fun to begin with, is that ANYTHING could happen. You would start with a scenario, and the merging of many people's imaginations could take the story in any direction. So, by closing it off, you are eliminating the entire point of having an interactive story. As has already been stated, if what you want to do is write a story which is not interactive, take it somewhere else. I don't want to read your lame shit unless there is the possibility that Rourke could burst in at any moment and spray his love juices everywhere, thus foiling a well-planned robbery.

Report Post Tip

The STREET forum is for IC dialogue that references IG materials. The STREET forum is the ultimate forum for street debates, RP adventures and stories, and IC announcement.

I pulled that straight from posting guidelines. I used that format in my first street thread because it appeared to be the format used, looking  back over time I can see it is a new thing, my apologies if this is a real issue. However I did get drawn to reading those that had it in the title to see if I could add to them.

You will all please notice that RP adventures is actually called out up there separately from IC dialogue. So RP /= IC  at all times by the things I took the time to read before joining "our little thing". Nor do I read that RP would mean  my character is RP'ing someone else (we did this in the phinest phcukers HQ once). No offense Odd. Nor would I believe that including RP implies anything about my other threads. No offense Ox.

I wonder what started the trend to begin with?

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: (RP)
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL