Get Timers Now!
X

Apr 29 - 06:07:44
Help
1 Watchers
Page: [ <<< - < ] 1 2 3 [ > - >>> ]
Stories in the Streets: Staying In Character Started by: Kates on Jul 19, '09 00:37

The way i see it is a story in the streets does this mean a person a mobster comes out side in front of everyone and starts to tell a story usally about oraganized crime if i was to go out into the streets and tell about murdering people and robbing banks i would be in a cop car or mental hospital don't get me wrong kates i really love you'r stories it is just role playing you know?

Report Post Tip

I do agree with you to(:

Report Post Tip

I always see posting 'in char' as maintaining a character's personality (e.g. GaryBusey being a drug-addled pseudo-philosopher or Matterhorn being a rather obsolete amusement park ride) rather than trying to be mega-strict about all playing 1930's gangsters.

Half the fun of this place is playing someone completely different to my RL personality (wise, handsome, witty, cool, etc etc).

Report Post Tip

I agree and disagree with you Mr. Busey. I think in your case, you should be playing a drug addled pseudo philosopher who is a 1930's gangster. I am with Kates on this and not just because she mentioned Deuce Bigalo :)

Report Post Tip

An important distinction, I think, needs to be made.

Very rarely have I ever walked out into the streets and said "Let me tell you a story..."

Usually, it is describing the actions and thoughts of Kates, as in Kates woke up, reached over the random man, and slammed her fist into her alarm clock. That's not Kates telling a story... that's Kates doing things, acting, breathing, thinking. Roleplaying, not storytelling.

Report Post Tip

i don't think i've seen a bad argument here. that said i think the best solution is a roleplayed stories forum.it allows the streets to be used as tallian suggested, while giving godmother kates to write her wonderful in character stories.

Report Post Tip

Tallien does make a certain point, considering that it is called "the streets" and few stories take place on streets. But, of course, I still write stories!

Report Post Tip

Far too much "Micro-managing" This is a players game. Let them play-Let them write.

It helps to show thier (In Character) (Character)..

Report Post Tip

Agreed, Alfonce. Well put

Report Post Tip

Roleplaying a certain way over a certain period of time can actual tell as much of a story about your character as writing a backstory can if done correctly

Report Post Tip

A good point there Alfonce but then again you have to consider that we ARE playing a game and there are places were people can express what they think, and what they want and it doesn't have to be in character but rules are rules, like every game you play there are rules that we have to follow and the point of having the street forum is to make sure that every one that posts there has to do it in character, there are the outside forums and other forums were they can talk freely and tell stories, but not in the streets.

An important distinction, I think, needs to be made.

Very rarely have I ever walked out into the streets and said "Let me tell you a story..."

Usually, it is describing the actions and thoughts of Kates, as in Kates woke up, reached over the random man, and slammed her fist into her alarm clock. That's not Kates telling a story... that's Kates doing things, acting, breathing, thinking. Roleplaying, not storytelling.

that is exactly what i am talking about, you have to consider that just like in the outside forum we can talk about things outside of the game or w/e you want, we have to respect the fact that the streets is made for role play and not for telling stories.

Report Post Tip

Just food for thought: I like roleplaying and through that I may tell a story or I may just be talking in-character/ either way it is interacting in-game as your character which is not for everyone I understand...

What I enjoy most is when you are able to tie your RL into your roleplaying and storytelling. It adds another level of depth to your character.. In conclusion -  I think the bottom line is that not everyone is into the game to that extent and should not participate in Role playing activities. You want to "chat" use IRC. 

Report Post Tip

What's so terrible is that over the last little while, Rp'ing has been blown out of the water. You can't post one without being sent to an asylum.

Report Post Tip

In the form of stories, lost part of the sentence. Proble with keyboard.

Report Post Tip

Someone said this a while ago in the replies and maybe this has all ready been clearly hashed out...so if I am opening something that has been dealt with please just let me know, but in my experiences in forum roleplay a separate forum was designed to share backstories, journal entries, or simply giving depth to a character revealing something from their past.

It would also be a great place to develop Family History for others to read if you get into that sort of thing.  It would be the compromise if issues still arise from posting stories in the Street forum?  Just a thought.

Report Post Tip

Note that in the tutorial, it states "The Streets are for in-character posting, that means posting from your character's perspective."

I have not read anywhere that the streets is purley for "role-play"

Report Post Tip

Well it is :S

Report Post Tip

The streets are for those who wish to RP, and its there for people to address issues within our eight cities.

Report Post Tip

as well as all the other inane drivel that pops up on a daily basis

Report Post Tip

yes but you adress these issues throught he point of view of your mafioso. So it is for "Role-Play" ;)

Report Post Tip

Help
Replying to: Stories in the Streets: Staying In Character
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL