Get Timers Now!
X

May 13 - 23:20:57
Game Suggestions
0 Watchers
Page:  1 2 [ > - >>> ]
Demotions - Adding back day requirements Started by: Rourke on Jul 28, '09 21:27

There has been a solid amount of discussion in the past month or regarding demotion of players for bodyguards, but I'd like to make a humble request in order to help demotions serve more as a "punishment" for players and could help remove some of the benefits players receive from being demoted for bodyguards. I'm not here to bring any sort of bodyguard discussion into the mix, but would rather focus on the demotion side of things.

As originally written, demotion is a punishment. I believe it should be further reflected as such. I'd like to humbly suggest that the day requirements per rank be reinstated when someone is demoted. As the game is currently set up, promotions for demoted players rely on experience points only, as in most cases the demotees have surpassed the day requirement for ranks.

As an example:

GaNgStErGuY just reached Made Man and is eleven days old. He is then demoted to purchase 10 bodyguards. Under the current system, if he crimes/jailbreaks enough in one day he could most likely reach Earner or Wise Guy in a 24 hour span. He should be able to reach Made Man again in a few days if he works hard.

Under the new example:

GaNgStErGuY just reached Made Man and is eleven days old. He is then demoted to purchase 10 bodyguards. 24 hours from the time he is demoted, he reaches the rank of gangster. 48 hours after his demotion he is eligible to reach the rank of goomba and so on and so forth, all the way up to Godfather.

In personal opinion, this will help bring some sort of "negative action" back towards being demoted to accompany the removal of experience points and lack of drugs per a demotion. I WAS one of the few who was demoted from Wise Guy to Thug to receive a number of bodyguards and I found it relatively easy to get back to Wise Guy without and sort of date requirements in place.

I'm not sure how difficult this would be to code, but I assume if 24 hours from a demotion point would be too difficult, a "next day from your start hour" could be used to gauge the next available promotion mark.

I look forward to any questions/comments you all have and hope this receives serious consideration from the administrative staff.

Report Post Tip

I love it, personally. Great idea.

Report Post Tip

Thirded.

Report Post Tip

Fourth ed! + should not be able to buy BG if demoted for a preiod of time thus ranking making more diffcult, not hard to make a profit to purchase BG's its a benfit of being Ranked.

Report Post Tip

This problem, as I see it anyway, is that what of those people who have already taken advantage of this and are now, I use Paul_Walker as the example here, already back to the rank of Consigliere?

It hardly seems to be a fair decision if anyone else should choose to utilises this option, only to be grounded and hindered by the old minimum times, where others have not been. A fair few people have taken advantage of this and now are reaping the benefits, yourself included.

I would rather let everyone take advantage of this equally, should they choose, than those who have already done so, left only suffer with the full benefit of their actions and those yet to so, soon to suffer the consequences by the actions of those now fully rewarded.

Should this be introduced on a level playing field where nobody has the advantage of having already done this, then yes, I am in full agreement.

~T~

Report Post Tip

Excellent point.

Report Post Tip

I will add that it didn't take me the entire 20 days to go back from thug to Consig. but it did take me 18 days. So it may not have been the full 20 day minimum but even with the many and I mean many hours of time that I did put into re-ranking I still barely got it back under min time. So even with constant jail breaking and 30+ cds later I really don't think adding min time would do any good nor bad. Its about the same either way. Just a bit more coding to be done I would assume.

So all in all not a necessary addition,imo.

Report Post Tip

Minimum time from thug to Consigliere used to be 45 days. So you did it much, much faster than would have been previously possible.

~T~

Report Post Tip

Great idea, lets do it.

Report Post Tip

Well yeah but old min time means nothing now so that is a null and void argument.

Report Post Tip

I'm not specifically trying to get at you here, as I don't really see anything wrong with what you did.

However, as this thread is specifically about the re-introduction of the old minimum times, a comparison of what you did (getting demoted and buying bodyguards) without the minimum times, to repeating the move with the old minimum times in play is obviously not a null and void argument. It is in fact a very relevant example of how this suggestion would impact any future repetitions of the same move. It took you 18 days instead of 45. With this suggestion you would still be a long way from Consigliere.

My concern however was the disadvantage this causes to anyone else who may have been intending to take advantage of this, but as Squishy seems to have given this the green light, those concerns are null and void.

~T~

Report Post Tip

All for the idea, just throw me the money for OWP and get on with it. 

Report Post Tip

I don't believe this is unfair at all, assuming a suitable warning is given. Perhaps this could take effect in x amount of days? That would give everyone the opportunity to take advantage of the current process and get grandfathered in, so to speak, before the minimum times are reinstated. So everyone currently alive gets their chance to equal what other people have done, while the system changes for the long run.

Report Post Tip

Equal chance in xxx amount of days? Hardly... Depending on the amount of days. Say if it was to be instated in three days; hardly enough time for someone like myself to come up with the money to "take advantage of the system". 

Report Post Tip

Hence, the "x"

Report Post Tip

I like it, although I guess it really doesn't matter unless you are busting your ass, admins have made the ranking pretty standard with points Vs. time..

I do have an addition..or maybe a thought?

What happens if I get demoted from Earner to Goomba...am I am "Day Zero"? Do we know that each demotion resets? or just takes you back. as a recently demoted goomba do I need to wait 5 days? or can we assume that goomba = "48 hours old"?

Just a thought...maybe the day requirement comes into effect if demoted to thug only? just a thought

Report Post Tip

What happens if I get demoted from Earner to Goomba...am I am "Day Zero"? Do we know that each demotion resets? or just takes you back. as a recently demoted goomba do I need to wait 5 days? or can we assume that goomba = "48 hours old"?

When I originally proposed this idea, I envisioned that any demotion would just reset the time from your new rank to the old rank. For example, someone demoted from Wise Guy to Earner would only require a three day waiting period to get back to Earner.

After reading your suggestion and looking at things from a "realistic role play perspective" I think things should be reset to a "day zero" point and require a person a full X number of days to get back to their rank. As I stated before, a demotion should be a PUNISHMENT. If you are demoted from Consigliere to Boss, you have ultimately let down your boss and they are putting you lower in their ranks. In theory, you have lost the respect of your family head and it should take you the full twenty days to "earn back that trust" and get back to the rank. I think would be foolish and a bit unrealistic from a role play standpoint to think that someone would be able to get back in the boss's good graces within a three day time span and receive their current rank.

Just a thought...maybe the day requirement comes into effect if demoted to thug only? just a thought

I think this would create too many loopholes for the idea. After the demotion from gangster to thug, it is extremely easy to get back to gangster, so really anyone could be demoted straight to gangster instead of thug and receive no sense of punishment. I feel this needs to be applicable for all ranks for it to be effective.

Report Post Tip

Regardless of whether this is introduced tomorrow or in x amount of days, introducing changes that give an advantage to the already established over the new, is in direct contravention of all the initiatives we take to encompass these fresh faces into our game.

As I've already stated, I actually do agree with the principle of this as demotion should be a punishment. What I do not agree with is introducing things that will cause a schism between the established and the yet to be.

~T~

Report Post Tip

good idea;)

Report Post Tip

Great Idea!

Report Post Tip

Game Suggestions
Replying to: Demotions - Adding back day requirements
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL