Get Timers Now!
X

May 07 - 10:04:37
Page:  1 
Buyer Beware - All CL/RHM/LHM Please Read Started by: Kates on Aug 01, '09 01:19

Earlier this evening I met a young woman in the streets named Sabrina. She informed me that she was new here and that she liked my family, so she inquired about an invitation. I was a bit suspicious at first, as she seemed very familiar with the way things worked and had already blown through 5 or 6 different profile pictures. She even reminded me of someone I'd seen in the streets named BOSSLADY, who if memory serves was a dramatic and somewhat oversocial young woman who ended up suiciding. Note: I have no idea whether or not Sabrina = BOSSLADY. If BOSSLADY is somewhere else out there, I apologize. Point being, she piqued my interest.

I gave her special instructions about being respectful to people, especially with regards to rank, and offered to help her however I could. I invited her at 22:59. At 23:48 she came up to me with an elaborate correspondence between her and shottakaz that included rudeness, threats, and sexual harassment. shottakaz is currently JamaicanMob_Marley's LHM and, while I had never met him, it did seem strange that he had spent all this time harassing a random thug who wanted to talk to him.

Over the course of the next hour, she repeatedly told me that shottakaz was messaging her with horrible sentiments, threatening to kill her. The threats, if I may say so as a writer, were the sort of thing a girl desperate for attention might create. "Gettin scared? u shud, hoe", "u want to die dont u. i can make that happen u wont b livin much longer".

I initially approached shottakaz asking him what was going on between him and Sabrina, letting him know that I was informed he'd threatened her. His total lack of understanding was expected. For the next several minutes I watched Sabrina "copy and paste" message after message that shottakaz was allegedly sending her. All the while, I was taking screenshots of his unchanging message count. After having shottakaz mail me, to verify that the counter system was not broken and recording that as well, I felt like I had proof beyond a shadow of a doubt.

I encourage every CL/RHM/LHM to be diligent and make sure that they're aware of this. I'm not sure if I could have acted any better- if so please post your thoughts here so that others can better deal with the problem. Please be aware of this, both in your recruiting and particularly if one of your members approaches you accusing someone else of verbally harassing them.

Finally... Sabrina, I'm not sure what your goals were. Whether you wanted to create friction between Marley and I or whether you just wanted to stir up shit in general. Maybe you just wanted attention. If that's the case I encourage you to have faith in your gifts. You could accomplish much if you put your mind to it- you don't need to resort to this to get attention. If you truly devote yourself to pursuing excellence, then you could earn the attention of people for what you actually accomplish... and not through deceit.

Report Post Tip

Thanks for doing a thorough investigation, the entire situation seems random but i really doubt it is as it seems.

Report Post Tip

hmmm trouble maker a foot

Report Post Tip

"I'm not sure if I could have acted any better-"

I'm not sure if you're only addressing leaders here, but if I may speak up, let me say that I cannot think of a way to do any better than you did. The screenshots were brilliant and even making him send you a message to then verify that the system was not broken was beautiful. I would not have thought of that myself, I'm sure.

Report Post Tip

I talked to this Sabrina girl when she showed up and it did seem like she instantly knew how to use the MM system even though she was supposedly "new", and the more we talked the more experienced she seemed. You made the right decision Kates and I applaud you for it.

Report Post Tip

Through as ever Kates :) Should be working for the C.I.A. Not the mob!

Thank you for the PSA

Report Post Tip

I agree with JoseRodriguez

Report Post Tip

Other than just agreeing with JoseRodriguez, I would like to say sometimes we have people that just likes to cause problems. I can't verify that this Sabrina person was trying to do that. but maybe she had another motive for it. I'm not a rocket scientist on how the human mind works but this girl OR guy had a plan they obviously thought it would work but failed. Kates, great job on catching this and ending whatever her plan was.  

Report Post Tip

I wonder whether this really needed an OOC thread? Are people in the mafia not devious bastards at times anyway? Deal with it in-game like you did and move on. I'm sure fabrication to land someone in trouble is not new, especially in the mafia. You took the right actions and I'm not saying you shouldn't bring it to anyone's attention, but I don't see why this couldn't have been role-played in the streets if it had to be noted anywhere.

There's actually nothing wrong with lying in-game, if that's the role-play route someone's decided to go down. Note, I'm not for one minute suggesting this clown had any role-play ideas behind it, I'm sure they were just trying to cause trouble, but that doesn't alter the fact lying is a possibility in a mafia based RPG.

Report Post Tip

I greatly prefer to remain in character for business such as this, but I found this forum to be more appropriate for two reasons.

1) If someone was just trying to start trouble by forging mails about threats, then this would have certainly been brought to people's attentions in the streets. However, it also potentially dealt with one player sexually harassing another, which is against the OOC rules and governed by admins. I preferred to err on the side of caution. So while I would have preferred to deal with this in character, there were certain elements that transcended that.

2) To be perfectly blunt, it was much easier to do so here. I spent a good chunk of time dealing with this nonsense and I wanted to be able to spell it out as clear as possible to give other people the heads up. Rather than make potentially convoluted references to profile pictures, screenshots, and mobmail counters than could potentially obscure the message, I decided it was best to present the matter in an OOC fashion. Although on reflection, perhaps you're correct and I could have done so in the streets. If so, my bad.

Report Post Tip

thanks for the heads up

Report Post Tip

Wow Great job. I'll check out for this.

Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For Non RP Talk About The Game (AKA OOC)
Replying to: Buyer Beware - All CL/RHM/LHM Please Read
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL