Get Timers Now!
X

May 20 - 21:59:42
Page:  1 
Omerta: The Law Of Silence Started by: MrGammy on Nov 16, '07 17:42
I suggest you all read this. I don't want to hear any moaning, about wow what a long read or that crap. Read it! Learn it! Live it! The person who wrote this knows what they are talking about. Enjoy!!

IT ALL COMES DOWN TO ONE WORD:

Omerta. The law of silence. Never -- and I mean never -- discuss family business with people who shouldn't be hearing what you have to say. No one likes a rat unless it's a dead rat -- and a dead rat leaves a stench. So here are the options: Either you are a man of respect, a rat or a dead rat. Which would one would you snapper heads rather be? A man of respect, of course. If not, do the world a favor and jump off the nearest skyscraper. We don't like wasting bullets.

silence is golden

Now, opening your big yapper isn't always a bad thing. No one likes a loudmouth, but as long as it stays within the famiglia, it usually won't hurt anyone. Now, by "family," I don't mean your actual family, but your business associates. Suppose that you are the CEO of a company. Revenues are strong, profit margins are fat and cash flow is increasing. Then, at a dinner party one night, after a few too many glasses of Chianti, you decide that it's time to open your big mouth and start talking trash about one of your customers. No big deal , you figure, it's all in good fun -- some harmless gossip. Besides, he'll never find out. Little do you know that the walls have ears and that so-and-so at the table knows your customer.

Next thing you know, that big customer of yours who is paying for your Lexus and your house in the Hamptons cancels all business deals with you. And you wonder what happened, like the schmuck that you are. I'll tell you what happened, so sit down and listen, Johnny boy: You insulted the man and he took his business elsewhere. You publicly broadcast issues that should have been settled man-to-man.

NEVER START RUMOURS

Perhaps you started a rumor he didn't want anyone to know about. Would you want your wife finding out about that 21-year-old stripper with implants that you've been seeing after hours? You probably have a few skeletons of your own in your closet. How would you like it if others started shooting their mouths off about your personal affairs? Exactly. So my advice to you is keep your mouth shut, mind your own business and pretend you don't know what's going on. There's no point in being on the receiving end of some flying canoli when you could be enjoying a good laugh with everyone else.

One last thing while I'm on the subject: All you need to do is open your mouth once at the wrong time and you will have a reputation that will stick for life. No one wants to be known as "that rat Pasquale" from the East Side. People will not associate with you for business or pleasure. In fact, if you open your mouth about the wrong thing to the wrong people, they might try to dissociate you... from your head. So keep your mouth shut, continue doing business and keep your friends.

So there you have it, boys. It all boils down to one word: Omerta. Think you slack jaws can remember that? For your own sakes, I hope you do.

Watch your backs and keep your noses clean.
Report Post Tip
You could say it comes down to three more words than that. It's also about Famiglia, onore and sangue.

Never start rumours? Say your Boss tells you to, say it's part of a bigger picture. Whaddaya do then? At some point or another, one of the four pillars will rise above the other to take precedence in a specific occurance, but in general circumstances; no one of the four can take overall precedence over the others.
Report Post Tip
Stay Tuned!! More to come on our way of life!
Report Post Tip
Oh great now you got Gammy started..
Report Post Tip
On this subject, If your boss needs information then Omerta does not apply. If your Family is asking then that is all that matters, you are bound to tell all that matters. If you are in a family that you do not feel matters that much you must ask yourself why you are mooching off of them. Omerta is our protection from the cops and people that would negatively affect our family affairs.

Carry your self with Onore and remember that by talking you have none, unless it is to your boss you are divulging.
Report Post Tip
Chef raises his hand

What is this Lexus-thing you speak of? Is that some brand of bootleg whiskey?
Report Post Tip
Do you think that the ignoring of omerta should be used just for passing info onto bosses or if any high ranking people in your family want info(higher than yourself obviously)?
Report Post Tip
Like Billy_Bob said omerta doesn't mean you hide information from the family you are supposed to do anything you can for them even if that means breaking your silence on matters that are important to your family.
Report Post Tip

This Forum Is For 100% 1950's Role Play (AKA Streets)
Replying to: Omerta: The Law Of Silence
Compose Body:

@Mention Notifications: On More info
How much do you want to tip for this post?

Minimum $20,000

(NaN)
G2
G1
L
H
D
C
Private Conversations
0 PLAYERS IN CHANNEL